My school

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, Jul 22, 2008.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I was waiting for the association to say something (e.g. updating the website) but it hasn't been done yet. It's not like this is anything secret, I just wanted to see how the association was going to handle it first. What you are about to read is my own understanding of the situation, both as explained to me and from my own experience. If there's anything incorrect here, it's my own fault and I would expect someone to correct me.

South Austin Kuk Sool Won is no more. KJN Dewain Perry is no longer part of WKSA.

Basically, Mr. Perry hasn't been around for some time and the school was unable to function. While we black belts did our best to keep things going, when Mr. Perry is 100% in control of money well... eventually you just can't do things that need to be done to run a business if money isn't able to flow. Plus, he wasn't around to teach, take care of business, even empty the mailbox. Why was he not around? I'm not sure. I know he had a lot of issues in his personal life for some time, and lately it seemed like things were just falling apart for him. People tried to help, but basically he wouldn't let us in. The situation became untenable, something unfair to the students and their families, and the association stepped in and closed things down. As far as I can tell, this is all business, nothing personal against Mr. Perry. At this point I don't know what's going on with him (I know he's alive), but we're all saying prayers for him that he's able to get his life back together.

At the same time, Tim King SBN (senior student) was given the opportunity to open a school. The new school will be Kuk Sool Won of Oak Hill (Oak Hill is an area in southwest Austin; South Austin KSW's dojang was located in the heart of the Oak Hill area). Right now things are in a state of flux. We're renting some space at a local Jazzercise studio to keep kid classes somewhat regular. Some students are meeting at a local park, some are attending SBN Larry Subia's school in Buda (small town just south of Austin, closest school to the old dojang, and SBN Larry was one of Mr. Perry's first students... they were on the cover of TKD Times magazine together). All of this is temporary just to keep people training and working while new space is acquired for a dedicated dojang. The hope is to have a new place up and running as soon as possible... just a matter of lawyers, accountants, and other such things. It seems everyone's sticking around and just going to keep on rolling. We'll do our best to make a good showing at tournament in October. :) Same people, just a different head instructor and school name.

So, it's a bit of a sad situation, and I certainly ask all our Kuk Sool brothers and sisters to keep Dewain Perry in your prayers, send good karma his way, or whatever it is you might do. As well, do the same for SBN Tim King as he's got a lot suddenly dropped on him as he tries to get this new school up and running. Onward we go.

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I am sorry to hear that about the school. I just met a nice family from your school. They were on vacation over here. I hope that they can still practice.

I have met KJN Perry a couple of times. Nice guy. I hope he works out everything in his life.

3. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

This is Horrible ! Dewain is a good guy, I sincerely hope he is healthy and safe. I am a little curious about exactly how "the association stepped in and closed things down." I can't figure out how they did that, as they have absolutely no control over anything other than licensing. Now if they encouraged him and influenced him to take it upon himself to shut down, then that is a different matter ( and much more likely to be the case). Whatever the case, this is ANOTHER tragedy in a long list of losses in WKSA.

4. KickSideWays

KickSideWays New Member

I dont' think that is the only club that will be shutting down..sometimes I wish the Assoc would step in more often. KSW is rife with Instructors that don't live the "martial artist way". Not saying that about KJN Perry, his student's obviously respect him.

What do you do when you can no longer respect your instructor in KS.

There is one school that seriously needs intervention! When will the Association step in????? HELP!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Unfourtanetly MA schools open and close everyday WKSA schools are no different...

And do what?

as are all MA organizations so your point is???........

KJN Perry "towed the WKSA line" without variance compared to most instructors. He is(was?) among the most dedicated young masters in WKSA, possibly THE most Dedicated....

Discuss it with him and try to salvage the sun bae/hue bae relationship. Be upfront, polite, Respectful, honest, and fair. If it doesn't work, then at least you can walk away knowing that you did your best to work it out. Then move on.

There are probably many that are in one way or another in need of some type of support and or intervention.

The association has no recourse to step in, in any way other than to revoke a License agreement. But that does not mean that the dojang will close or even change it's method of teaching or conducting business, it simply means that it will no longer be a wksa school. Granting L/A's is like hiring employees they are easy to hire and tough to fire. Once you have granted a L/A it is difficult to just "let them go" for many reasons. With employees you want to screen throughly before hiring, the same could be said about granting L/A's. But it would limit the rate of assoc growth.

can't have that!

6. KickSideWays

KickSideWays New Member

duh? obviously?
    Suspend, demote, at least show that KSWA cares ultimately about the student, they can take away rank or?

Well, possibly, but I've this is the first time I've seen things this bad, and it seams to be all the high ranking instructors

probably

Yeah, sounds easy enough..wish it was.

ok

Sad if that is true.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I don't know who that family would be (PM me if you wish), but they should still be able to practice. As I said, Tim King SBN is in process of opening up a new school, we've got temporary measures in place to keep training going. So, new school name, new head instructor, new physical location, but it'll be all the same people and things will keep on.

Dewain is a good guy and I sincerely do hope that things improve for him.

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

It is sad that this happened, no question.

What the association closed down was exactly that -- his license. Technically his private business and business location are operational, but given his current state there's no way they can actually operate. I haven't been by the old dojang location since things shut down earlier this month, but it's my understanding the locks are changed, the windows are all papered over, and just about everything has been moved out of the place (apparently by some movers sent by Dewain).

9. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Not just probably, was. I saw him almost every day for many years and can tell you how dedicated he was to the association, to the art. I feel honored to be able to say I studied under him, that he was my teacher. I have a great deal of respect for Dewain, both as a martial artist and as a person. This situation doesn't change that he was my teacher... it just makes me have to say "was" instead of "is". I miss him.

10. ember

ember Valued Member

Responding to quotes from a couple of COC's posts, mixed up.

That is awful. I really feel for you, the other students, and KJN Perry.

I am REALLY glad to hear this. Even out here with just my husband, training helps keep me going.

[half-joking] You had better be! This is NOT the way I want Clear Lake to win the championship. A good challenge helps us all get better.

Cyber *HUGS* and best wishes to all.

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I have no idea what the story is (was just surfing KSW sites), but Leavenworth KSW in Kansas is closing as well. More bad news.:cry:

12. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

this has been on that website for a while ... it think that there is some connection between that school and ksw having to leave West Point. I have an imperfect memory. but something in my mind says that there was a connection.

13. Fu_Ling_Yoo

Fu_Ling_Yoo Valued Member

Suchas ? To my understanding KJN Perry had to stop (teaching/praticing) because of health reasons. Health reasons are not voluntary, thinking you can do it better, wanting to change things you have no control to change, or ego are all voluntary. Im curious to whom you speak of. Nevertheless you are right that he is a good person, having only met him once, but hearing stories from a friend in houston about him, I know he will be missed not only by his students but most anyone who is higher than 2nd degree in Texas, or those who have had any time in with him.

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

He is or was a student of Master Sims, so that would make sense but,
    it sounds like he is closing the school altogether, not going under a new monicker.

15. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

I was referring to the constant stream of quality masters and instructors that have left wksa for any number of reasons. When the org looses good people, it is a tragedy, I am sure he did not do it voluntarily, that would be out of character for him i think. He will be sorely missed....

16. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

How sad for every one, particularly Kwan Jang Nim Perry. I'd have thought the bill collectors would have closed down the school before the license agreement was taken away. Too bad the license agreement couldn't have just been transfered to SBN and things transfered smoothly. One hopes his troubles get smoothed out and can start training and teaching again, soon. At least, SNB's new school can help everyone else continue their training.

17. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

In most industries, L/A's are not transferrable, I would imagine in WKSA the same is true.

18. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Ok, non-transferable. It still seems that it would have been nice for all the students since SBN wanted to continue teaching, that a NEW L/A be put in HIS name so he could continue everyone's training without interruption or inconvenience. Maybe an emergency stay of.... needing a L/A, or a temproary one. I suppose bureaucracies rarely if ever work fast.

I commend the students for working so hard to keep everything going. I bet there will be some faithful students of SBN's at the end of this.

19. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

If I'm understanding you correctly, there may be a misunderstanding here. :)

No the license can't and wasn't transferred, but basically when the one license was pulled from one person (Mr. Perry) a new license was immediately issued to another (Tim King SBN). And the only reason that there's "interruption" in training is because of the physical dojang location issues. The "old South Austin dojang" is legally in Mr. Perry's name (well, his private business, M.A.T.S.) and so that's a whole other legal matter that's totally outside of WKSA's control. Thus why we're working on getting a new physical location for the dojang.

But while that's being worked on, we're all still training... a little disjointed right now, but training nonetheless. So, it's a little rocky but for the most part it's business as usual. The students are faithful to the school, to our greater family there and in Kuk Sool.

Really, the situation is a sad one, but in terms of everyone being able to move forward it's going ok. Just a little rocky road but hey... this is all about the journey, right? :)

20. SaBumNim

SaBumNim Valued Member

Why did the KSW have to leave West Point?