My retirement

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Korpy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hello everyone.

My MAP brothers/sister, I know some of you have followed my fighting career. Many of you have been greatly supportive of me and my past fights. It's with great thought that I finally retiring from MMA. At 20 years old, I've fought in MMA (3-2, and fought for a title), Boxing (1-0), Kickboxing (1-0-1) many BJJ matches in tournaments, Point Karate and even TKD.

MMA has been my focus over the last few years. I've busted my ass in the gym, and put in a lot of work. It was always a love/hate deal with MMA. I loved competing and training, but actual camps for fights were hell. That's how they're suppose to be, but when you're a young guy going to college full time, working part time, that doesn't leave time for family and friends. Fighting has especially been tough when most fighters in my state/area fight full time (training 5 days a week) while myself only has been able to train 2-3 days a week for fights. I came to realize that at this point of my life, I can't compete with the full time fighters.

I've had ups and downs, but it's been a hell of ride. I got to have the spotlight on me, test myself and most importantly...put on some great fights for fans of the sport.

I'll still train as a hobby, but it'll be nice to be a normal guy for awhile. Thank you everyone!

2. rain21

rain21 Valued Member

I also gave up some sports because of university education... Hope you'll continue fighting as a hobby for long.

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Always get your priorities right.

But remember- the sport will be waiting for you when your ready!

Your only 20! You could fight in 10 years and still be in your prime!

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hey man, you've done more than a lot of us here.

Best to you.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Hell yeah, I'm 30 and only just getting started!

Its probably the best decision for you to make at the moment Korpy. Its easy to take on too much and burn out. And training for MMA competition does take A LOT of hours a week.

I'd put money on you competing again at some point in the future though:evil:

6. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Best wishes and great luck in any endeavor you choose Korpy get that education.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Getting your priorities right is the most important thing. Best wishes from me Korpy, I hope you enjoy your training as a hobbyist again.

Mitch

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good luck with whatever path you choose to take Korpy. The decision to retire must have been a tough one.

You have the full respect of everyone here.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You'll be back in there. You'll get bored

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Life has many paths ...who knows where yours will go ..

you have done well so far take a break and see ..

All the best

Smurf:hat:

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Korpy my man I can't say I blame you as fighting competitively does take a lot of ones day and life. It means a massive amount of sacrifice. So even though my gut instinct doesn't want you to pull back from it - I understand the decision.

You always came to martial arts asking a lot of questions. That curiosity will serve you well not only in martial arts but also in life. I hope you continue to train even if its not at the intensity level that you were... time to enjoy some life and get the studies under your belt my brother.

Congrats Korpy on talking the talk and walking the walk. Hope to see you around MAP more!

Slip

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

To everyone (especially slipthejab, you word means lots to me) thank you so much. I really appreciate all the nice comments and insight. It really does make me feel good about what I've done and how I've done it. It was a real tough choice to make, especially since everyone who has heard has really voiced their disappointment that I've retired.

I still love the sport and those who are involved with it. But I love being a normal guy again. Sleeping in, spending lots of time with my family, friends and my girlfriend. Also going out and getting to do stuff I couldn't during camps has been really refreshing.

As Snoop said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't count out a return some day. ;)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Man, Korpy, you've got nothing to feel bad about. You come to MAP asking one question after another, arrive at some conclusions, and then (and here's the amazing part really) then actually go out and DO IT. You've got a lot to be proud about, my friend. Whether you return to competition or not, there are a lot of good lessons people could learn from this.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

What the frak am I going to do with my giant foam 'Korpse' hand, now?

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm just am grateful that I came to MAP when I was just getting involved in martial arts. Having knowledgeable and kind people to ask questions and discuss topics about martial arts really helped me out and helped me find my way.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Okay, this gave me a really big laugh. Thank you. :D

17. Dalia Calypso

Dalia Calypso Valued Member

Think of this as a period to relax, to let your body heal and recover, to take this time off to divert from out motivation (ambition etc.), and focus on inner motivation (why you love training martial arts). Randy Couture came out of retirement at what, age 43 and is still going strong.

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That's a hard decision to make, but I can understand, and echo what others said. You've certainly been a fine example of someone who has started fresh in MA and taken on board good advice from the wealth of knowledge found on MAP.

I'm sure you'll be back in the game in the future.

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That's a hard decision to make, but I can understand, and echo what others said. You've certainly been a fine example of someone who has started fresh in MA and taken on board good advice from the wealth of knowledge found on MAP.

I'm sure you'll be back in the game in the future.

20. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

sounds like you are making the right choice mate to put those things first, before you end up hating MA and leave it forever, as most people have said you can go back to it whenever you have the time,

best of british