My own Weightlifting Workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Haste, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Haste

Haste Scream

Here is my workout, with just a bench and plate barbell at home;

Squats, Benchpress, Calf Lift, Military Press, Bicep Curl and Tricep Extension (done together), Lunges, Abs (various types of exercises), Standing Press and Bent Row (done together), Upright row, Forearm Curls, Wrist Curls, Reverse Wrist Curls, Deadlift.

I do all of these lifts (excluding abs) usually 3x10, but I occasionally switch to doing 4x6 or 3x8. I do all of these lifts in one day, usually in about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. I also do cleans and several other lifts like dips if I have access to a gym (I live in an apartment).

What do you people think of this workout? I weigh 130 (I lost five pounds) and stand at 5'9". I gain strength from this workout, and I don't gain weight. I know that I have no specific question, but I guess that I want to hear what other people do, and how their workouts affect their bodies.

Thanks for reading my thread!
    -Haste

2. Master Hakki

Master Hakki Valued Member

The workout looks good to me. How many days a' week do you workout? Also, try to keep your weightlifting workout under an hour. This is not very important since you just got 15 minutes more. But I'm talking about efficiency.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Post your workout schedule in a more readable format for better critique, like:

Mon:
    Shoulder press 3x5x95 lbs
    Squat 3x12x205 lbs
    incline BP 5x8x150 lbs

etc.

4. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Yohan's is a good idea.

I'm reading a lot of stuff recently that reckons that 45 mins is about optimum for a heavyish weights workout.

Also I don't know how long you've been doing this particular w/o, but you should try some periodization... switch it up a bit more. Your body adapts pretty quickly.

Personally I'd drop the bicep and tricep work: the big lifts with the right weights and programme should keep your arms in balance, and there are several reasons as to why bicep curls are actually bad for you. You've got enough all round body lifts there to not bother with fairly inconsequential specific ones. What are you doing for abs?

One last thing: check out Alwyn Cosgrove's site or even get his and Lou Schuler's book New Rules for Lifting. It's excellent. It explains the latest and most sensible thinking and experimental results in lifting, and even gives you a variety of programmes and teaches you how to design your own. Can't recommend it more.