My newb workout - conditioning for Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hey all,

I've only just gotten back into martial arts. I've been going to Muay Thai classes once a week for the past three weeks, and its been a real eye opener to how out of shape I've been! The warmups had me knackered, I had to focus on staying alive when doing pad work, etc, so after my second session I decided I'd throw in a workout session at home about mid-way between classes. I go to the class on Wednesday, and do the workout on Friday/Saturday when I am feeling good for it. Thats about all I can manage right now with my newbie DOMS and lactic acid buildups. My goal is simply to have a body capable of doing Thai boxing for longer and at greater efficiency (and less feeling-half-dead)

It goes like this

Joint rotations, leg swings, shadow boxing, jogging to warmup.
    All blocks following are one minute long

Body squats, shadow boxing,
    split jumps, shadow boxing,
    tuck jumps, shadow boxing,
    body squats, shadow boxing,
    split jumps, shadow boxing,
    tuck jump, shadow boxing,
    pushups, shadow boxing,
    pullups, shadow boxing,
    pushups, shadow boxing,
    pullups, shadow boxing,
    'the plank' for one minute, then thirty second side-plank, shadow boxing
    'the plank' for one minute, then thirty second side-plank, shadow boxing
    Reverse Crunch,
    And then for a finisher, I go from 'the plank' to a pushup position, do a pushup, then back to the plank. This goes on for as long as whatever awesome motivational song I have on does.

I then do more joint rotations, leg swings, shake my limbs out, and do stretches to cool down.

And then settle down to a nice whey-and-passionfruit-juice smoothie.... oh yeahhh. :cool:

So, how does it look to you guys?

2. Vexed

Vexed New Member

I can understand where you are coming from, but for me, I get pushed further. Now how it feels though. Lol :D

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

wow slow down partner.

i think you could be spending your time a bit better and a bit more efficiently but if you dont have access to weights then you are going along the right lines at least. you will surpass quite a few of those exercises (body squats, push-ups, jumps) within a couple of weeks. try substituting a few of them for strength building bodyweight exercises. for example pistols (one legged squats), one armed press-ups, hand-stand press ups. mix that with some sprint intervals,the shadow boxing and a bit of skipping and you have the basis for a half decent workout.

you will see results with the workout you posted but there is potential for much more. check the H & F stickies at the top of the forum for information on bodyweight exercises.

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

no pullups? Are you planning to hit the weight room?

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thank you all for the replies

TheMachine - pullups are there, look again! :p

iamraisen - The reason I've not included some of the more difficult moves you mentioned is that I simply lack the strength to perform them at the moment. I'm going to start building my own parallel bars to do dips on, and seek to start including pistols, handstand pushups, etc as I become capable of them, hopefully within a month or so. However, skipping and interval training are both things I had forgotten all about, so I'll look to include those in my next workout. Thanks a million.

Is the general one minute block approach okay? I'm looking to improve all aspects of fitness so thought I'd try and keep the heart going throughout, but is there a better way to structure this kind of workout?

Jack

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

get a box (or use the stairs) amd start work from higher up for the one armed press-ups. for pistols, again, either do them from the bottom step or do them next to a door. as soon as you can do over 10 of a certain exercise you really wont be making any strength gains and your programme will be turned into a slightly macho aerobics session :D if you can do 10 push ups, start working on your one armed pushups. if you can do over 10 squats, start working on pistols and so on. also check out some articles on this forum on sandbag training

you get your aerobic training from your running, shadow boxing, skipping and muay thai
    you get you anerobic exercise from sprint interval training and (hopefully) sandbag training.
    you want the bodyweight exercises to be strength building rather than repeating the other kinds of training performed better by other exercises.

hope that helps buddy.

7. Jack

Jack Valued Member

That helps a load, thanks mate.

Are the minute blocks okay to go by for a while then?

Jack

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

they will help but you could be spending your time better. you will definately get fitter doing a routine like that so, until you get the confidence/means to start weightlifting, it'll do ;)

9. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

You may also find that if you do 20 minutes of light cardio (e.g. light jog) after your muay thai, you won't get DOMS. a little aerobic exercise will help to clear the lactic acid from your system. Stretch afterwards, and it should help a lot.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Try the lever(upsidedown planck on pull up bar) as well as the planck to balance things. I do a similiar workout to yours, i do my strength training at the end. I alternate the circuit training with interval sprints and crazy skipping which im doing tonight, lol. So i try to get my aerobic and anaerobic in the first part and the strength after probably not that efficent but i only want to exercise 4 times a week, because im lazy.

11. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

im by no means an expert on this topic, but i would recommend running. it can do wonders for stamina

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Great, I see whats being said here. Allow this workout to work on strength, and other training methods for other factors. Simple enough, cool. Will set goals of 10 pistols, 10 pullups, 10 parallel-dips (going to start making the dip bars today hopefully) and once I can do that, go for 10 handstand and 10 one-armed pushups. After 3 sets of each I can do 3 x 3 min rounds of skipping, and some interval training. Sounds good. I'll keep the jumps for a while.

Thanks a mill,
    Jack

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

great stuff matey. i'd recomend sets and reps of 5x5 for pistols, pulls and dips. dont get disheartened if you cant do it straight away (it took me weeks to work up to a one armed push up with good form).

good luck!