My log of ninja awesomeness!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Coges, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Will do. Just finished a nice long black to keep me tied over till meal time in about 90 mins.

Deads, chins & OHP tonight.

Cheers.

2. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Decent training last night. Didn't ever really feel properly warmed up so will have to address that next time.

23/05/12
    Warm Up:
    Joint rotations
    Arm swings
    Foam Roller
    Skipping
    Band Pull Aparts

Workout
    1. Deadlift
    10 x bar
    5 x 40kg
    5 x 60kg
    5 x 80kg
    5 x 100kg
    Felt really good on the deadlift. As I'm taking it easy getting back into things I stopped short this time. I did feel as though I would have had at least another 20-30kgs in me.

2.a. Chins - Bodyweight
    5, 5, 4, 3, 2
    I'm terrible at these at the moment and really want to improve. Am seeing my Osteopath next week and will have to query him on whether or not to do them as my shoulder issue is related to the bicep tendon and I'm assuming these will place a decent amount of stress on that area.

2.b. Single Arm OHP
    5 x 10kg
    5 x 15kg
    5 x 15kg
    5 x 15kg

Complex - 3 sets, 5 reps, 30kgs, 45 sec rest
    Bent Row
    Hang Clean
    Front Squat
    OHP
    Back Squat
    Good Morning

Overall a decent training sesh. Never really felt I got into it aside from the deadlifts. May do an extended warm up next time and see how that goes.

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Public transport meltdown reduced last night's training sesh to a simple mobility circuit of the following:

Loosed up joints
    Foam roller (focusing on IT bands, mid back and thoracic extensions - still haven't gotten the gist of rolling lats and chest)
    The rest was basically Defranco's agile 8 with some wall slides and band pull aparts thrown in. Felt pretty good afterwards.

Basketball tonight so will train tomorrow night.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah man some days it melts down... but that's a good excuse for throwing in the foam roller and mobility drills!

5. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Haha. Man is sucked big time. 45 minutes sitting in the one spot.

Yeah I need to do it more. I can only imagine what a daily dose would do considering how good I feel after one session.

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

22/02/2015

Quick Warm Up

Squat-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 2
    105 x 5

Incline Press (fat gripz)
    bar x 5
    40 x 5
    65 x 5, 5, 5

Ring Dips-
    bw x 6, 6, 6, 6

Have recently played around with my form on squats. Stance a little wider, bar a little lower. Still getting the hang of it but feeling good enough so far.

7. Coges

Coges Valued Member

23/02/15

Trained with a mate at his place. First time ever training together so I just followed his program and did whatever he did including weights and reps.

Deadlift-
    Warm up
    75 x 10, 10

Pull ups-
    2 x 10 (using band)

One arm Rows
    20kg x 10, 10

BB Curls-
    20 x 10, 12

Not entirely what I would have done but it was nice to catch up and train with someone else for a change.

8. Coges

Coges Valued Member

25/02/15

Total Cals- 4,924

Front Squat-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 3
    90 x 2
    100 x 5

OHP (fat gripz)-
    bar x 5
    40 x 5
    45 x 5, 5, 5

Unilateral Floor Press-
    10 x 10, 10
    15 x 10, 10, 10

Front Plate Shoulder Raise-
    15 x 20, 16

9. Coges

Coges Valued Member

27/02/15

Total Cals- 3,464

Wide Grip RDL-
    60 x 5, 5

High Pull-
    80 x 3, 3

Snatch Grip DL (straps)-
    100 x 5

Parallel Barbell Rows-
    40 x 8, 50 x 8
    60 x 6, 6, 6

Pull Ups (bar)-
    4, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2 (33 reps)

Snatch Gip DL felt pretty easy. Obviously using straps helps a heap.
    Aiming for 10 x 5 on the pull ups. Once I hit that I'll try to get the 50 reps in less sets and go from there.

10. Coges

Coges Valued Member

28/02/15

My 2nd Hapkido class back and probably my 10th class in 3-4 years. I feel I'm in a position to commit more time and energy to it now.
    I remember all of my 1st Dan techniques and ran through quite a few sets. What I'm missing is the intricacies like arm/foot/body positioning and things like that, that actually make it work. Trained with a guy going for his 3rd Dan in April so we worked on his techniques a fair bit which I always love doing as it gives some great insight into what lies ahead.
    Have also penciled in November for my 2nd Dan. A pretty comfortable time frame and I have done pretty much all the sets required before. It's just going to be a matter of doing the work now.

11. Coges

Coges Valued Member

02/03/15

ELBOWS FORWARD!!!

Squats-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 3
    107.5 x 5

Incline Bench (fat gripz)-
    bar x 5
    40 x 5
    67.5 x 5, 5, 5

Had to cut out dips today. Left shoulder/1st rib area still bugging me. Benching was find but dips were pushing it.
    I really need to write a checklist of reminders and stick it on the wall of my gym. I have been getting more things right lately and elbows forward was the latest one. I actually noticed it in a vid I was watching on youtube and threw it in the mix. Created a ridiculous amount of stability more than what I had previously. 107.5 felt like 80 today. Such a good feeling.

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool log!
    Elbows forward is a pretty good cue, especially if it works for you :D
    I have one which may have a similar result (upper back tightness) - pull the bar down on to your traps. It may be more applicable to high bar but it works for me so it's all good.
    Awesome pull up volume too. Good luck with your shoulder/biceps tendon thing

13. Coges

Coges Valued Member

04/03/15

Wide Grip RDL
    60 x 5, 5

Deadlift
    100 x 5
    120 x 3
    145 x 5 (first 3 double overhand, last 2 mixed grip)

Ring Chins
    bw x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 - add weight next week

BB Curl (fat gripz)
    30 x 8, 8, 8

Deadlift felt pretty solid but was hard. Wasn't fully concentrating though as I had my two kids with me in the gym at the time. Nothing like doing some heavy deadlifts whilst your 2 year old is yelling at you to look at her balancing on a bike and your 5 year old wants you to pass a level on minion rush. #goodtimes

14. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Cheers thanks. I've tried, and forgotten, a lot of cues lately and the ones that seem to be working for me at the moment are elbows forward, spread the floor and active feet. I'm sure this will all change next week when I forget one of them though lol.
    Yes upper back tightness works for me too. I find that elbows forward accomplishes the same thing mentally. Somehow it just works.

Yeah the bicep tendon is pretty much sorted now. Funny what taking care of your body can accomplish.

15. Coges

Coges Valued Member

05/03/15

Hapkido Class- Worked right back through my 1st Dan material. Have been a 1st Dan for nearly 8 years now and have spent probably 3-4 years of that time, and the last 8 months, away from training. Did some bridge and roll ground work and tweaked my neck and upper back doing it. Continued on with the class and was throwing and getting thrown around for the next 30 odd minutes. Needless to say the neck and upper back was stuffed pretty much after class.

I am pretty comfortable with my knowledge of 1st Dan again. There were a few minor gaps here and there which have been plugged. Will spend the next few weeks getting it back up to speed and will begin working on 2nd from there. My instructor was pretty complimentary of the technique so it's all there but just needs a bit of reminding.

There's a grading opportunity in November for my 2nd which I'll be looking at. I have learned and forgotten all the sets from 2nd Dan but that should only make learning them again that bit easier.

08/03/15

Took some time off for the neck and upper back to heal. Lat and pec stretches have me feeling pretty good and some soft tissue work helped. Didn't do everything I should have but I don't think the additional time off hurt.

09/03/15

Squat-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 5

Incline Bench (fat gripz)-
    bar x 5
    40 x 5
    60 x 2
    70 x 3, 3, 5

Ditched the ring dips. Did 1 rep and the neck/shoulder started complaining again. Was aiming for 5 reps on each set of incline press. Don't know what happened but just don't think I was focused on first two sets. 3rd set was difficult but not a ball buster.

Squats felt solid again. Still tweaking from session to session. Not ideal that I missed front squats mid week as I find squatting only once a week for me to be detrimental.

10/03/15

Wide Grip RLD-
    60 x 5, 5

Deadlift-
    100 x 5
    125 x 3
    150 x 3+2 - Planned a set of 5 and had my son running around the gym whilst I was training honking a bike horn and running through mid rep. Stopped after 3 reps, had some stern words with him and about 30 seconds later completed the other 2 reps. I think this is an equal rep PR for deadlifts and am looking forward to aiming for 155 x 5 next week.

Ring Chins-
    bw x 5, 5
    +2.5 x 3, 4, 4

BB Curl (fat gripz)-
    30 x 8, 8, 5

Hard when I train at the kids are around distracting me but if it's the difference between training and not training I'll take it anyday.

Had a bit of an epiphany last night. My left hand, index finger in particular, which is the one I nearly cut through in a kitchen accident has been becoming stiff and painful throughout the week. I'm finding I actually have to stretch just this joint in order to relieve the pain. I cut through two tendons, the nerve and into the joint capsule over 10 years ago and I had no issues till last year when I went rock climbing. Since then it has caused some decent discomfort on an ongoing basis.

This also lines up with the similar amount of time that I have been using the fat gripz for. I had thought that the additional pulling volume (cleans, deads and chins 2x per week) I have been doing lately was causing the issue but figured that maybe the fat gripz are the culprit. I only have one week left of the current program but will give them up now to see the difference. The trade off is that I have had minimal shoulder/elbow problems since I incorporated them into all pressing.

16. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Picked up a pair of Power Perfect IIs on Wednesday. Pretty fricken excited. Cannot wait to give them a run.

17. Coges

Coges Valued Member

12/03/15

Front Lever Practice & Squat warm up- 10mins

Front Squat-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 4
    90 x 2
    100 x 4

OHP-
    bar x 5
    40 x 5
    45 x 5, 5, 5

Unilateral Floor Press-
    10 x 10
    15 x 10, 10, 10

First time squatting in Power Perfects. Felt pretty good. Depth was easy. Left shoulder is affecting the rack position which isn't ideal.
    First time pressing without fat gripz for a while too. Felt pretty damn easy on what would usually be a challenging weight. Felt solid as a rock too. Don't know if shoes had anything to do with this either.

18. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Missed my Hap class last week. Wife and kids were crook so I ate some chocolate and drank some wine instead.

19. Coges

Coges Valued Member

So this week I'm going to do some 1RM testing. A mate of mine bought the Squat Strong (www.squatstrong.com) program and then decided not to do it and has passed it onto me. Written by Cam Birthwell and a CF athlete Lucas Parker from Canada. Looks pretty solid. It's a six week program lifting two days a week and alternating between a heavy day (6/1 protocol) and speed partials one week and a heavy day (repeat efforts on the minute) and a tempo day the next week. Will do that plus two sprint sessions each week.

Bit of a fan of Lucas Parker (CF athlete and one of the writers) at the moment. His form on all the lifts is awesome. Also has a 220kg squat @5'8 which isn't too bad either.

Anyway I'm starting next Monday so stay tuned.

20. Coges

Coges Valued Member

16/03/2015

Squat-
    bar x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 3
    100 x 1
    120 x 1
    130 x 1
    140 x 1
    145 x 1
    150 x F

Only second time lifting in the oly shoes. I probably should have been breaking them in and getting the body accustomed to the differences. Didn't even think about it till after but what are you going to do.
    As far as technique changes go I noticed on the 60 and 80 sets that I was going straight up and down with probably my best form ever and great depth.

I need a max to base my next program off and will choose 140kg to start with as it gives me a little wiggle room. Will also give me room to move on establishing more solid technique.