My goal is to become a carded boxer.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Counter Assault, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Counter Assault

Counter Assault Valued Member

My goal for 2012 is to stop being a "keep fitter" and become a carded boxer
    Right now i am training twice a week at home counties and a with local gym trainer in a backroom of a gym.

and as and when london shootfighters.

My fitness training looks like this -

Monday

Skipping for three rounds
    jogging with hands up relaxed and then fast
    press ups
    leg stretching
    dipped press ups
    legs apart touching toes
    legs apart swinging arms
    Buliding up lactic acid in arms excersize
    Sit ups
    stomach strengthing
    rolling lower back
    neck rolling

then hitting a bag three times then crouching and hitting it three times to increse speed.

Standing in boxing stance holding hand weights to throw punches.

Then bag work.

Tuesday

training for an hour at the amature boxing club.

Or london shootfighters

Wednesday

home training

Thursday

Home training

Friday

Boxing training with local boxing trainer.

When i get to a good enough standard i can increase my boxing sessions to

Six days a week.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No road work. I find that strange if you want to compete.

Boxers need to be getting in that mileage.

How is your weight/nutrition right now?

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Find a proper boxers gym and get there once a day to start out. Get your running (eg. roadwork) in early morning. If you want to box you need to train in a boxing gym...not at home... in a boxing gym with a proper full time boxing coach and all that entails... you need the level of competition around you and the same focus and drive that you will find a amateur boxing club.

Sod all the made up stuff and nonsense... get to your local amateur boxing club every day of the week except Sunday. Forget the weights, forget the things you've heard or made up... you need footwork and movement... footwork and movement... taught to you by someone who knows. Get to your local amateur club and get proper. Anything else and you're kidding yourself.

How old are you and what city do you live in?

4. Simon

Definately. Basics and fundamentals all day long.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok I'm guessing it's London you're in (I'm perceptive like that) man you are in one of the best cities in the world for boxing gyms... especially the amateurs!!! There are soooo many!! Many guys would sell their grandma to have the resources you have in London for boxing... get to it!!!!

http://www.abalondon.org.uk/

find one here:

http://www.abalondon.org.uk/afiliatedclubs.html

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

There is one guy right here!!:evil:
    :p

7. Counter Assault

Simon

I do Cycle everyday around 7 miles and i run infrequently thanks for bringing that up as very important i will start running every day.

my weight is around 9 stone and i eat subsidised cooked english breakfast
    Subsidised cooked lunch from the dining room.

and for afternoon i usually have a chocolate bar and some tea.

C.A

8. Counter Assault

Hey Slip

Thanks for your advise and reply

Can i quickly respond to some of the comments you bought up

i am at a proper boxers gym one session a week, the novice boxers are only allowed to train once a week until they are ready.

I have been told by my coach that once i get good enough i can then go to more sessions.

About the training at home that is all what i have done training with the boxing coach at the twice a week gym session i just started doing the same training at home.

Its not made up and nonscese its training i have been doing twice a week for four months with the group.

London and 25.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Are you already paying for London Shoot? (per class/per month etc)

Assuming youre NW London considering where LS is, you got quite a few boxing clubs around you that you can join.
    Obviously the "named" clubs like Peacocks etc are in S/East London...they tend to have more. But a bit of digging and you can always find good clubs around nearer you.
    Barnet Boxing club just started I think.

10. Counter Assault

Simon i am not allowed to train all day i would enjoy training all day but my local boxing gym has turned muay thai the other gym is apparently teaching me "made up nonsence" and the proper gym will only let me train once a week for an hour.

11. Simon

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Basics and fundamentals, rather than fancy technique. All day long is just a phrase meaning all of the time.

12. Counter Assault

I already belong to an ABA affiliated Gym
    And i will train six days a week.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Damn, I read that title as "My goal is to become a cardboard box" - I was looking forward to reading how you planned to achieve this.

14. Counter Assault

15. Counter Assault

Am i on the right path turning up to every session at the ABA gym?

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Turning up to every practice session you can make is a good start if you want to start boxing competitively.

If your current club only allows you to train once a week but you want to get better at boxing, then rather than train in shootfighting go train at another boxing gym instead. Especially at the beginner levels but it stays pretty true throughout your time, boxing is all about technique in the gym and fitness outside of it.

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Questions - A few terms I am not familiar with (no offense intended)

What is a "carded boxer"? Does that refer to some sort of license?

What is a subsidized lunch? Is that like food from a homeless shelter or something?

18. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Definitely agree with most of what you've said, but why no weights and why nothing on Sunday?

19. Counter Assault

Hey Thomas

From the Abae

"All boxers need to get ‘carded’, which involves a doctor filling in a medical form to say that you are fit to box. Your coach may be able to arrange for a doctor to visit the club, or you can ask your family doctor. Your club will provide you with this form.

Once you have your medical card (ME3) you can train towards your first competition. Training to compete includes sparring with other members of your club to develop your skills. When you are ready to compete, your club coach will 'match' you (based on your age, weight and experience) for a club show or a skills bout."

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Thanks - that clears it up (I think we have different terminology in the US... that and me not being a boxer, makes for questions! Thanks!)