My First Tournament

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Rhythmkiller, May 9, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Entering my first tournament on Sunday. It’s a local tournament closed to UKTC members only but it’s my first so I want to go for it. My goal this year is to compete in the Chang Un cup which is an international level event so I’m hoping to pick up some valuable experience stepping onto the mat in the local.

I’m not entirely sure on the rules but they’ll be explained at the point of entry I presume.

There are a couple of things niggling in the back of my head. One of those things is on the entry form, it has various options available of what you can take part in.

Patterns
    Sparring
    Special event (flying kick)

I have chosen to do the sparring and special event. I have opted out of patterns as I’m fairly terrible at them, I can do them but others at my level are better at them, then again they love doing them where as I actually could do without them. One of our black belts was talking to me about it and suggested that I do the patterns with the aim of feeling what is like to step onto the mat and catch an eye for my competition in the sparring.

Sound advice that I think I’m too scared to take. I don’t know why but the idea of performing patterns scares me. The actual sparring is a breeze to me and I have no issues with that at all but patterns, my confidence is low when it comes to patterns. I don’t even practice them outside the dojang as I feel they are an irrelevance, out-with the theory and history of them. I love reading about them but not performing them.

In preparation for the tournament I have been working on my cardio, this really is the weakest part of my game, I have been running to build it up. But only since last week.

Saturday 3.5 mile run 29m 49s
    Sunday 3.5 mile run 27m 32 s
    Monday 3.5 Mile run 25m flat
    Tuesday TKD 3x3 minute sparring rounds
    Wednesday got knee injury on Tuesday so had to rest
    Thursday TKD still feeling the injury but managed 4x3 minute sparring rounds.
    Tonight will be another 3.5 mile run and if weather permits skipping also.

For the guys have been in a tournament any tips you can give would be much appreciated. What do you take with you on the day food/drink wise how much do you consume and at which points before sparring? I have to register at 10:30 in the morning and will be competing between 1 and 3, then staying on till 7 to watch my friend compete at black belt level.

Any tips or help for a rabbit caught in the headlights much appreciated from all members not TKD specific.

Baza

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You should run and skip every day (allow yourself a day or two of complete rest). Not do one or the other. I usually do 8km a day followed by 30-45 minutes of skipping. This is on top of my Muay Thai training.

3. Rhythmkiller

Appreciate the advice mate but to me that seems a tad extreme. You have to bare in mind also that you train for a full contact event and possibly more rounds than me. Saying that 8K is what about 4 miles?

Baza

4. Unreal Combat

It's 5 miles and we do 5 x 1.30 rounds at amateur level.

The idea of doing that little bit more is so that you know your cardio won't be an issue on the day, especially seems that you feel it is your weakest area. You'll have nerves and adrenalin to contend with, so cardio should be the last thing you want to worry about.

The skipping is not only for cardio but also to help build strength to keep you on your toes for your footwork. I usually do the skipping in 2 minute rounds with 30 seconds rest inbetween.

5. Rhythmkiller

I'll stick with 5k but will definately introduce skipping as part of the routine.

Baza

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

IMO you should be tailing off the training as the event approachs not increasing it.
    You should aim sunday to free from any doms and fully recovered from any previous training. I know I can still "feel" a run a couple of days after so today should probably be your last run and then just do some techinque work, mobility and stretching off.
    A couple of light days won't negate any training effects but will leave you sharper I think.
    Sadly I think adding running the week before the event is too little, too late and is maybe doing you more harm than good at the moment.
    You should be running well before the event (maintaining fitness) and then increasing it as the event approachs so you can then tail off at the end and hit a peak on the day where you are fit but well rested and raring to go.
    If it was me I'd be getting my head straight and going in to test myself and enjoy the experience. If you can call it enjoyment.
    I hated competing at the time (even when I won) but enjoyed the sense of achievement afterwards.

7. Rhythmkiller

Really good advice and you are correct the running should have been incorporated long ago but it has made a difference (ever so slightly). I am just entering for experience, the big one is the Chang Un cup. What you have said is what i will be doing all the way to October when that tournament comes around.

Baza

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

1. Have practice competion in your school. Watch what happens when the ref says "Sijack" start or whatever. Typicaly compeitors will start to bounce or move around. Try to think of yourself as being in a sprint and when the start command sounds launch at the opponent with a combo like Hih lead punch rear foot middle front snap kick followed by kicking side lead punch. Often you may catch the opponent still settling in.
    2. Practice watching opponents. So, if you get to later rounds you have amental note book of weaknesses. For example. The guy rarely uses rear leg or hand. Beat the lead and your in. Or the guy has his hands low or drops them when kicking or when opponent throws a middle kick and creates an opening. Or, the guy leavess XXX Open.

9. Unreal Combat

I'd personally do a light run the same morning. Maybe it's your old aching bones! :D

10. Rhythmkiller

Funny you should mention this. Was going over some tactics with one of our black belts nad he mentioned exactly the same as point 1.

Baza

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No doubt. :)
    I think most combat athletes only do some very light warm up on the day though.
    I don't see any benefit to running the same day as a competition, that might go on all day anyway (TKD comps often do) and involve 3-4 bouts if you get through to the final. Just seems a waste of energy to me.

12. Unreal Combat

It's a good way to wake up. :)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I was going to type something rude but held myself in check. :)

14. Unreal Combat

I think I probably get the idea of it, haha.

15. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

How did you get on in your first competition ?

There was a great turnout and I enjoyed watching it :) I was there from 11am. Was really a great day (apart from the fire alarm going off ha-ha)

16. Rhythmkiller

I got put out in the second fight, but don't think i should have. I got put into the heavyweight category, i was 87kg so was the lightest in the division and at 5,11" also the smallest. Won my first fight at a canter guy never landed one shot on me, i ended up breaking his nose. It was accidental, caught him with 360 spinning kick.

My second fight i was apprehensive as my opponent had about 3 stone and 4" inches on me. It was difficult to get inside his guard but landed a jumping back spinning kick, turning kick to his chest and a sidekick just above his waist. He Landed a what i can only describe as a push kick to my face and that was it. He got the nod. I wasn't happy but didn't complain about it but i thought the judging and refereeing was a little on the bias side for more than one call.

Some of my coaches expressed this also. The other team coaches were hanging round the mat coaching there guys which you aren't allowed to do but hey ho. Will be training very hard for the Chang Un cup in October.

All in all it was a good experience but i am a little dissapointed.

Baza

Last edited: May 12, 2014