My first three-day fastin experience.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DJHalliB, Dec 2, 2003.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Alright, some of you may remember my first fasting experience I wrote about after this thread: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5514&highlight=fasting

Well, now I've finished my first three-day fast and following is my journal of the experience, with all the information I thought would be worth mentioning. Also included are the two days after the fast.

-----------------------------------------

Day 1:

Pretty much like any other day, besides feeling restless and daydreaming about food. I don't recommend watching tv while fasting, because of all the food ads drive you crasy with desire :) Most of my previous post about my first fasting experience applies here too.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5896&highlight=fasting
    All bodily functions have been normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

Consumed about 5 liters of water, and at 9 in the evening I weigh 65kg, 68 is my normal weight.

Day 2:

Its 3:00 AM now. I'm feeling a bit weaker then usual and incredibly hungry. I seem to get bored at whatever I do so time passes slowly. I'm daydreaming alot about American Style hamburgers, and I'll propably go there soon after the fast. Water is passing fast through me, right now I'm at 3 liters consumed today. I feel a bit cold going barefeet, so I'm wearing socks, which is unusual for me. One weird fact is I can hold my breath for an extended period of time, compared to normal. Probably due to a low metabolic level because of the fast. I can feel my heartbeat very clearly, and its kinda annoying. I'm also feeling very restless and having a hard time maintaining an activity for any amount of time. Current weight: 64,5 kg, a pretty large decrease for only half a day.

7:00 AM. I went for a 40min walk today and could maintain a fairly high speed (I usually run the same distance, but in ~20min) without feeling exausted. It was good to get some air to clear my head. I've also been doing some forms today, using slow movements instead of maximum power. Gives me something to do and eases the restlessness a bit

Midnight: Feel a bit better now actually. Although I'm having a hard time sleeping, and have lost another 0.5kg, I'm pretty good. I have a constant thump right above my navel thats annoying, like a little spasm or a vain beating or something. Total water on day 2: 7 liters.

Day 3:

8:41 PM now. I had problems getting to sleep and I woke up very early, and couldnt go back to sleep. I don't really feel any hunger per se, but my appetite for water is close to zero, but thats normal in the morning for me. Its the last day now and I'm pretty anxious to get eating again. My heartbeat is just clearer if anything, so thats still annoying me.

15:00 AM. I went to the store today. There is a bit of a hill I have to walk on my way there and when I got in the store and just stood still, it was almost as if I was getting a calf-spasm. But that didn't happen and it didn't feel that way for long.

12:00 midnight. This has been a very rough experience overall. Much more difficult then I would have imagined. The restlessness and the having nothing to do was worst, but I found some html and xhtml tutorials to keep me occupied much of today. Current weight is 63kg and total water consumption today was 6 liters.

Day 4:

12:00 midnight. Ahhh, the first day back to eating was great. I had some dates and pineapple juice for breakfast, but after maybe a dozen dates and one glass my stomach said stop and I couldnt eat anything for two hours. After that I had some candy (yes, I'm a bad boy!) before going out to have a 6" subway for lunch. It was probably the best tasting subway I've ever had. But that was probably not due to the subway itself, because everything I had today has tasted incredibly, like the flavour and feel of food was tripled while I was fasting. I'm sure this is temporary. but the candy didn't taste anything special, and out of everything I ate, I enjoyed that probably least. Anyways, after subway I went for some great italian Icecream. In the evening I went to American Style and had a barbeque bacon burger, which was the best meal I've ever remembered having. Totally incredible. Total water today: 0.00liters, total soda today: 3liters (again, a bad boy!). During my fast I made a promise to myself to treat myself to all the food I was dreaming about during the fast on the first day, so I did and it was great :)

Day 5:

3:00 AM. Today I started studying for my final exams. I've noticed I'm having a much easier time concentrating then I've had all semester (but still, here I am writing and not studying, but no one can study without breaks anyways :). I'm also feeling very active, but not restless at all. Overall, I'm feeling great. I don't know if thats because of the fast or despite the fast or if I just think I feel unusually good because I have my energy back or what. But I feel great anyways. Current weight: 65kg

-----------------------------------------

2. zun

zun New Member

Good write up. Lay off all the sugar and artificial additives. You'll feel much much better long term.

Wondering if the first few days prior to your fast are anything like the days after! Before the fast - did you stuff your face? :)

3. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

No, I actually decreased my eating the last couple of days before the fast, decreaseing the size on all my meals.

I'm not planning a change of diet (I usually don't eat candy except saturdays, and generally eat healthy foods) so the post-fast stuffing was quite unusual :)

4. zun

zun New Member

Can be quite harmful to gorge yourself after a fast.

At least you eased yourself into it with pineapple juice, dates and a 6 inch sub! :)

Well done on the fast!

5. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

wow thats some fast . i never not eat for too long and almost never drink water so that seems hard . GOOD JOB!!

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

never not eat....