My first Taekwondo Lesson: How I compare it to Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by yuen, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

FISHBEAR! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!

also what gary said. you demonstrate a not too developed understanding of your own art (and have done so in more than one thread), and now pretend to judge another art, that i'd say is at least 70% identical when both are trained and performed correctly, and differ mostly in very specific content and the way it's presented, after only having taken a single lesson.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I reckon a lot of it went over his head.....

:whistle:

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I think that's a distinct possibility.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i bet the low stances don't help :p

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That theory does bear some thought.

[​IMG]

7. yuen

yuen Valued Member

hey, i was just being a bit bias.....the only thing i didn't like about their style was the stance which is used regularly, and the kata like techniques. it's just what i thought about my first taekwondo lesson. not about the whole art? have a lost all my respect?

and gary im 15 but don't say i'm talking like a kid, that's kind of offensive as i talk to many adults with all kinds of professions when i follow my dad.

yuen.

p.s how can i redeem myself????

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Stop talking like a kid....... ?

:cool:

:D

9. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I will agree that having first learned TKD about 25 years ago (give or take) the introduction of the walking stance left a flat taste in my mouth. I was very into my deep front stances and the like so the walking stance felt very non-commital to me.

HOWEVER, that having been said. After a first lesson you dont know enough about the art to make an HONEST critique. It's all too new, too awkward. You're still too used to your previous style to make an honest critique. You yourself admit to being biased - which means you still have a connection to your previous art and arent ready to learn something new. You're not in a place to take TKD as it is, and accept it.

I would not go to a sifu and ask to be taught Kung Fu only to criticise and compare its techniques negatively to what I'd learned previously. Not only is that disrespectful to the Sifu and the art I am supposed to be learning but it is also a reflection of the self.

Take TKD as it is, forget what came before and embrace what is at hand now. Nothing learned in the martial arts is a waste of time. It all has benefit. Even if the TKD techniques you learn arent those you prefer, they still increase physical ability, they still open the door for reflection and possibly spur a deeper understanding of basic application.

Do what they tell you, how they tell you and see where it goes. Dont judge, dont criticize yet. Its too soon. Accept it, embrace it and at the end of the day take from it what you can.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

That's good advice Mike. That's what I did when I did Kenpo. I started taking Kenpo, and about 2 weeks into it, I also joined the Shotokan class while still doing the Kenpo one. I knew I liked shotokan better, but I stayed with kenpo for two months before leaving. That way I knew for sure what I liked better. :)

11. yuen

yuen Valued Member

yes i agree with you. i'm biased with karate as i love it as an art.

i'm gonna start taekwondo permanently in a few weeks time :D

12. Bigmikey

Yuen, maybe I missed this and if so, forgive me, but might I ask why you had to leave Karate and join TKD?

13. yuen

yuen Valued Member

nah i'm still doing karate, it's just i want to learn a new martial art, and taekwondo is something i would like to do in the long run.

14. Bigmikey

AAAHHHHHhhh.... ok! That clears some things up then! Is this the only TKD school around? If not check out some of the others. I still consider getting back into TKD once I get my blackbelt in hapkido (something I recommend HIGHLY over TKD.... just sayin). But I'll find a different school with a different teaching method if I do.

Look around if at all possible and see whats available to you before committing yourself.

Best of luck man!

15. yuen

yuen Valued Member

well im not sure if there are different styles of taekwondo. and my dad told me that there is another one near me and said that they do more sparring and body toughening, as he knows a third dan there.

16. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Try that one. Maybe you'll like that more than. :)

17. Bigmikey

Not so much different styles as different approaches to teaching it, if you follow me. That other school sounds like it would be worth looking into - at least in my opinion.

Since you're still into karate and it seems thats your passion find a school that will help you augment your Karate skills. Body toughening and more sparring will do that nicely!

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I guess we were a bit short with you....

p.s. - I dunno...puberty perhaps?

19. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

You already have, and re the kid thing....

To refer to someone as a kid - isn't always a slur. In many parts of the UK (and this maybe an age group thing), people call their best mates and brothers "kids".

It tends to pertain to people they care about.

Gary

20. yuen

yuen Valued Member

yes but in the statement where you said i was a kid, it means 'immature'