my first fight - ths saturday saturday saturday

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by hux, Mar 29, 2006.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

first off - thanks to all of you who have contributed to my training in the last months, and many of you have made real differences..STJ, Ikken, too many for me to remember right now :(

lessons I learned from this experience:

hands up, always.

I am not built for fighting 200+ pounders. I need to lose the soft and fight round 185 or so tops. The reach advantage was incredible.

I got heart. This guy leveled me 4 times, I got up every time ready to go to his ass. My corner had to rescue me from myself. I am most proud of this fact.

After watching the video a few hundred times ;) I was sooooo stiff...I didn't think jitters had gotten to me but it's obvious they did.

I'm gonna post the video tomorrow for a day, even though I looked like a chump in it. I'm sure some smartass is gonna say how bad I sucked - and yer right. Sucked bad. But before you even see it, I want you to notice that I got up every time he leveled me. Even the last time, the time my corner called the fight. I got up and was ready to go in again.

I am convinced the promoter knew I was in for a beating...he had the other corner chief come over and give me a game plan - "get inside" he said. I tried and got clocked hard. I was rocked not 10 seconds into the fight and it went downhill from there.

But I got back up. I didn't go out like a chump. That's all I have to say about that ;)

2. hux

hux ya, whatever.

on the bright side - my shiner has earned my two hugs from hotties!

:D

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

Even though you lost it must have been a huge learning experience. Learning that you should cut down to 185 is something good to know. Also i would bet that it wasn't the other guy's first fight. Getting up after taking some big shots takes determination and balls. You have the heart of a good fighter, maybe going down to 185 and with some more experience you will be dishing out the big blows to the new guys lol.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah- heart is something you cant train. you can get stronger, faster, improve your reactions, but it takes a certain kind of person to get in there and never say die. that kind of attitude will take you far. ive seen fighters who are all heart and little talent go far. ive seen fighters who are all heart AND have the training to match win titles. you are still new at this so in time you could easily be one of the latter.

well for me that was my second fight :D

5. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I found out last night he was 5-0 with 4 KO's. Now he's 6-0 with 5 KO's LOL.

6. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

:eek:

Never mind, hun. Want something for that eye?

*blows kiss across the pond*

;)

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Hux,

You showed you've got more bottle than most blokes just by getting in the ring.

You showed you've got even MORE bottle by getting up and fighting on FOUR times.

You'll learn so much from this fight, and you'll bounce back a much better fighter for it.

Well done!

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Hux keep on going...

did you post the fight \? would love to see it...

plaudits for getting in the ring and more plaudits for your modest analysis..

Smurf

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Were you not supposed to be matched up with someone with as much experience as you? :eek:

Looking forward to seeing the vid. :)

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

here it is. Man, I was so stiff.

http://www.huxtablejones.com/hux_getting_clowned.mov

I got knocked down 3 times, not 4...sorry ;) Rocked more times than I care to count, though - that last hook felt like a cement truck :)

I'm almost done feeling sorry for myself, taking this week off to eat twinkies and drink lots of beer. :)

I'll be deleting it tonight.

edit

strong language, bout 35 megs

/edit

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  11. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

watched the fight ...you did well to stay on your feet...IMO the other guy moved and hit like a semi pro ....he was alot more experienced and lookeda bigger build . Glad he missed that spinning back kick !!!

Good work mate ...keep on fighting !!

12. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i watched the fight too...man, you got pounded :p
    seriously though, major props for getting in the ring, getting up every time, and posting the video. i also noticed that you kept up the offense even after some extremely demoralizing moments, which is something you don't always see. people quit training for much smaller reasons than getting a pounding in the ring. i'm sure it wasn't a proud experience for you, but it takes a certain type of person (read: psychotic :D ) to hit the gym again after that. keep training hard.

13. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

Hey man at least you had the cajones to get in the ring...train harder...then make a come back...I have been training for my first cage match set for april 21st...dun dun dun

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  14. gornex

gornex Valued Member

i just watched it and it wasn't that bad. He was bigger and everything. I think with more experience you will get alot better.

15. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

hey, sry i was gone for a week and i didnt get to see the fight :( anyone mind sending it to me?

16. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

btw, was this yoru first fight? how long have you been training? i have one in sept. so i have some time to get ready for mine

17. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I've been in TMA for a couple of years, although I don't consider it training for this. I started training in kickboxing back in late november if I recall correctly. My trainer told me he wants to get me in a show in september...I asked for extra time to get my weight down. PM me and i'll send you the fight video, although you ain't missin nothing ;)

18. Marc936

Marc936 New Member

was fighting in the ring any different than going full contact training? i would imagine a lot of jitters go up and you react a bit slow during the match, it what happens to me when i kickbox my trainer, with my friends im comfortable going full speed but against my trainer i tend to choke and keep my feet planted to get wailed on

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

you know, it's a funny thing. I never got the adrenaline dump I was warned of. The bell rang and I came out to do my thing - which was jab jab JAB cross with a side step, then light up the body. I must have telegraphed the stiff jab cause the guy unloaded a right hand on me over the top that shook the earth ;) at around :07, and it went downhill from there...for me. I think I had simply trained so hard for this thing that it was just another guy. The crowd disappeared, the lights, even the referee ceased to exist...it was just me and another guy in line to whoop my ****. No big deal ;)

I'm working on a post for the articles section, should be ready to post in a day or so. I figure maybe I can shed some light on the experience for other first timers...at least I'll feel really smart :)