My First Class- Very Nervous

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mrs Owt, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I agree with you stratiotes. I will be co-teaching the little dragons program in my dojo and I am looking forward to the whole experience. I give young kids full credit for being able to concentrate and focus, as long as you don't expect unreasonable things from them. I wouldn't expect them to do full kata at four but I don't think it is necessary to let them run wild and go nuts all in the name of fun. They join for a purpose and fun can be educational and purposeful, it doesn't have to be loud and out of control.

It is funny that I am so nervous about tonights class but don't have a qualm in the world about teaching a group of 4-7 year olds.

2. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Yeah. It really surprises me when a 5 year old has the focus to do a full kata. The little dragons at our school learn Chon Ji (a white belt TKD pattern at our school). They don't perform it perfect, but the fact that they actually can remember the whole thing is cool.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Yahooooo! It is over and it went VERY well. The kids were excited and involved and I think a lot of learning took place. Like to thank everyone for their advice and support, especially those of you with so much experience who gave me a lot of tips in the practicalities of working with kids. Thanks again!

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

:) :) :)

u see? we all believed in you.

i'm really glad that u r atisfied with the way u ran the class.

congratulations!!!! :) :) :)

5. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

That's awesome. Now i'll bet you can't to do it again sometime.

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Actually Stratiotes, the Sensei's thought the topic I covered was so important they asked me to review it again and expand it for Monday night's class! Here go the nerves again! :eek:

7. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

That's cool. I guess the nerves are just something that get's better with experience.

Apparently you did a great job though. Good luck monday night.

8. Alex103701

Alex103701 New Member

Well done Anything. Hope you enjoy teaching again.

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I love getting up there and torturing ppl. I get to do this often in my karate class and somtimes in my tkd class. I think it is a very wise thing to have students do. I don't get nervous I make everyone else nervous :) , heh. It will fade as you get used to it. I used to get real nervous in speeches until I took a speech class. I still get little nervous giving speeches though.

10. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

LOL, at my last class I did warm up and was told by one of the sensei's he wanted a MAJOR cardio workout. Well, I complied and had three different people come up to me after and say "don't you EVER do that again!". Hee hee hee. I enjoyed that waaaaay too much! :Angel:

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

lol, the karate ppl cannot do the exercises (where I go), rofl including the instructor. She is like ok thats enough :) . I train alot so I can do alot of exercises for a long period of time. As for drill work I make up real hard tkd kicks, lol. I can do all the fancy stuff naturally. I don't use them in sparring they just don't work. Some may say a spinning side kick is fancy but I disagree. Anything that jumps is fancy stuff. One combo I had them do was a lead leg roundhouse and a jump spin side kick :) . I am better at jump spin side kicks rather than spinning on the ground dunno why. Last thing I would do in a fight though. I find it funny watching ppl trying to do em. To have ppl do the move you gotta be able to demonstrate it as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  12. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

It is funny how just a few weeks ago I was petrified about teaching a class where I had to make the cirriculum and actually run the thing for a full class. Now that has come and gone and I have assisted since and was given a newbie last class to introduce him to our school, style, history and basics. This was thrown at me cold and I had no preparation. At first, panic overwhelmed me - what was I gonna do with this guy for a whole hour? But as I started to talk to him, find out what he wanted out of MA, why and how he chose our dojo he actually gave me all the info I needed to help him. The hour flew by and when sensei called "line up" I couldn't believe it was over.

If all goes well I will attain BB status within the next 2-3 years. What I want to do is teach it as well as to continue to learn. Coincidentally, one of the sensei's is retiring from full time employment then. I wonder if it would be nuts to think about starting a dojo with his help? I've got the resources, I would be doing it for the love of it and wouldn't need to make a profit. There is nothing really good on my end of the city for TMA and I think we would be filling a hole. Can you imagine a bigger turnaround? From being petrified to wanting to do it all the time? Wonder if I am truly crazy? I started one business with no idea what I was doing and that is working out well, why not another one?

13. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I don't think thats a crazy idea at all. I plan on doing that with my masters help :) . You will have to know bussiness stuff though. At least I would recommend taken courses. You will be poor at the start though. heh, My master used to sleep in his dojang. It is fun to teach ppl and train in ma :) . If your heart is in it then your good :) .

edit opps missed that you already have bussiness knowledge :) . I would ask your sensi what you should know to open up a school and such. Many masters love to help out inspiring students/teachers. Read your bio briefly do your children take mas? I'm 21 now and still take ma with my mother, rofl. I am gonna have her help out as well. She took both kenpo and now goes to tkd with me. She is afraid to spar though. They spar very hard at our school. It is required to spar, so I am trying to give her convidence in it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  14. Picksey

Picksey New Member

This has been a fascinating thread to read - I'm only sorry I didn't catch it before you gave your first lesson, Anything! Sounds like it went down really well :D

I've been 'helping out' since I was a blue belt, taking small groups of 3-6 junior beginners for part of a lesson. Now I take anything up to brown belt, with the odd adult mixed in, for the whole session (juniors and seniors generally train separately in our club, but some dedicated seniors join in the junior sessions too). It's a gentle way to get into instructing - I'm not sure I like the idea of being dropped in at the deep end like Anything was!

I love some of the comments/suggestions people have posted. Treating the adults like kids and the kids like adults is one of my favourites - in my experience, most adults who take up karate are just big kids anyway, and love any excuse to play games (and man are they competitive!!!). On the flip side, kids respond well to being treated like adults, so long as behaviour rules are still clear to them (let them be the kids that they are, but not silly).

As for presentation of the lesson, I find it helps to spell out at the beginning of the lesson what it is you plan to work on (speed, technique, stance, understanding the application… ) and remind them as often as necessary throughout the lesson. I try and enforce any given lesson in as many ways as possible (individual/pairs/bag work, discussion… ) because everyone responds to different methods, and I know I benefit from a variety of stimuli.
    How do other people work? I know some people prefer to hammer the lesson in with little or no explanation until the student figures it out for himself. What are other people's opinions on how much an instructor should teach a particular technique, and how much he should leave the student to learn for themselves? And what about correcting/improving technique?

As for some specific things to do in a lesson to make it fun, something I hit upon totally by accident is working on kiai - kids love it! They're so used to being told to hush and be quiet, that when you give them permission to be as noisy as they can it's like giving them permission to be naughty! Get them to practice different turns with kiai, or give them combinations with a kiai on the last technique. I find this helps give the quieter kids (and adults) more confidence to kiai in kata, too.

15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Actually, I am hoping the sensei will want to go in with me on business because I don't think I would have enough experience to teach and I know I couldn't bring people to BB level for a long time. I don't want to be the only instructor because that is too draining. I figured it would give him something to do on days where he wasnt' teaching at old club as well as he could supervise the other activities for me since I have another business to run. I figure you can't just teach MA and make money so during the day I plan on catering to retirees and stay at home mom's with yoga,pilates and cardio kick-box type classes. I have already spoken to qualified instructors who are looking to rent space to run their classes during the day. Like I said, Winnipeg is a small place and once somebody knows what you are planning I have had all kinds of offers for space, teachers, loans, etc. If I had the time and qualitifictations myself now I would start right away. I don't want to jump the gun and want to wait until all my ducks are in a row. If I do this, I am going to do it right.

And yes, my kids do train with me and my husband and a ton of our best friends. My son has always loved it and my daughter has a new found enthusiasm, especially for sparring. Your mom just needs to feel secure and she will enjoy sparring more. Or, perhaps it is just not her thing and the rest of it is what she likes. She should be doing it for her anyway, to have fun, to learn, to get fit.

16. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I have found YODA's advice very helpful about treating the kids like adults. They loved being taken seriously and not mocked or talked down to. And Picksey, your comment on behaviour rules being clear should be tattooed on every instructors forhead! If the rules of conduct fluctuate from class to class or, worse yet, student to student the children will have absolutely no respect for you as the authority figure. I observe a couple of very talented instructors on a regular basis and the way they have earned the kids(and parents) respect is a huge lesson to me. The kids always have tons of fun but it is within an atmosphere conducive to learning. Some kids might be able to handle loud, boisterous, out of control settings, but some simply cannot deal with that sort of chaos and will not progress. In fact I observed my own daughter regress in a less structured setting because she couldn't handle the noise, seemingly aimlessness of the classes with children interrupting and lessons going off course. She deals much better with a structured environment where expectations are clearly known and everyone gets their fair share of attention because everyone is behaving appropriately.

Of course, this is just one persons observation, I am not an expert in education and I can only judge from my limited teaching opportunities and my own child's experience. Other schools may do things differently and have kids stacked like cordwood waiting to get in! :D I just know in our club approximately 80% of the children (higher with adults) have been training for over two years consistently. I think that is rather good retention for MA in general so they must be doing something right! :D

17. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Not related to MA, but still on the teaching theme, one of my best mates is a primary school teacher (9yr olds) - and at the risk of inflating his ego, I think he's one of the best I've ever seen. He absolutely loves his job and 'his' kids, and I think this is probably what makes him such a good teacher. He enjoys the kids for what they are, and actually gets a kick out of them doing kid stuff. For instance, he tells me that his class this year are too well behaved, and he actually encourages them to push their luck! Obviously, he controls this by making the boundaries very fair and clear, and keeping to them. I think the kids pick up on this, and it allows them to trust and respect him, and gives them confidence to do their own thing within the boundaries. I visit his class a few times a year to help out with art lessons, and his kids really are full of character, and lovely with it.

I think all too often things that come naturally to being a kid - energy, enthusiasm, curiosity - are misinterpreted or not tolerated and quashed. Worse still, they are seen as things that kids should be encouraged to grow out of. If these natural qualities can be encouraged (which admittedly can take a lot of patience and energy on your part!) and satisfied, you have a happy, developing kid. And hopefully he will grow into an adult full of the same energy, enthusiasm and curiosity.

Well, that's my theory. Not having any kids of my own, I wouldn't know! :p What do all the mums and dads out there think? Would you trust your kids with my teacher friend - or me for that matter?! :)

18. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Well I am a parent but I still don't know squat! It is a constant learning process. Each kid has a very unique way of growing up and not one blanket system is best for all. But I do find that most kids like a structured environment - note I did not say regimented or restrictive. Structured implies certain constants that the kids can rely on and a framework to work within to achieve their goals. Being structured does not negate creativity, self-expression and fun. Too often I think people have had issues with authority in their own past so they don't know how to handle being an authority figure. You know the one, the instructor who has problems with any authority or institutional figures like lawyers, doctors, public school teachers,etc. who doesn't quite know how to establish a relaxed, friendly atmosphere which is also productive so he/she loses control. They don't know where to draw the lines, or they keep changing them. It is the same with the parent who had a crappy relationship with their own parents so now tries to make up for it by being a buddy instead of a parent. They do their kids no favours by relinquishing their responsibility to trade it off for popularity.

Energy, enthusiasm and curiosity can be two edged swords. The high energy kid with lots of enthusiasm who is not guided appropriately often ends up being a bully or so obnoxious that they create very uncomfortable situations that they aren't mature enough to deal with. That is why God gave children parents. The parents should pick activities and instructors who are good for their children's development and guide it in productive healthy ways. I know of one boy in our dojo now who when he joined our club which is TMA from a looser MA format had major adjustment problems. The reason his parents switched him is that they didn't like how he was bringing loud, disruptive behaviour home. They run a fairly disciplined home and he was now thinking it was okay to interrupt others, wander away when bored and a collection of other bad habits. When he joined our more traditional club he was expected to toe the line and behave. The first little while was rough with him trying to get away with behaviour that was previously acceptable but now was not. It has been a few months and I have never seen such a change. He works so well with little ones now, previously he hurt them. He no longer interrupts but waits patiently with his hand up so that everyone can hear the full explanation and then any clarification from his questions. Interrupting constantly in the middle of techinques just confuses everyone. For most children (I am going out on a limb with this generalization-but I have been volunteering in schools, teaching sunday school and been around kids for the last twenty years) a relaxed, friendly, but structured environment is the most productive place to learn and have fun. Provides security and consistancy, you are more open to new ideas when you feel safe. :)

19. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

resurrected!

Darn! I thought I had gotten over my nerves about teaching - apparently NOT! :( I have to teach Mondays adult class and am back to square one. I have laid out a definite plan for the class and hopefully everything will go smoothly. My hubby says I should imagine everyone in pink lycra shorts and I won't be so nervous! Any tips on how to appear authoritative when you actually feel like a 6 year old girl inside? Thanks for any advice.

20. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Sorry - I can't really help you on this one - I still only help out with the juniors from time to time.

However, the few adults I've had mixed in with the juniors I've just tried to teach as I would like to be taught myself (though obviously within my own capabilities and experience).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.