My dream is to get into UFC...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by laruz114, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

I haven't watched the UFC for awhile but I do remember the fighters job being announced along with the other details as he entered. I don't remember any of these fighters not having a job. I remember this because I always cheer for the computer programmers. :D

You must live outside Canada because leaving high school before you're eighteen is illegal here.

Not to discourage you or anything, I think your UFC ambitions are great, but as mentioned the majority of the people on the UFC have been in martial arts since they could walk.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Carlos Newton is another academic in the UFC :)

Here's a small extract of an old Newton article.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Forget the UFC and go get a real job.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Like everyone else said, first thing is first, get a job :D If you really think that you could be good at it, try something manual labour style like being a brickie or a window fitter, anything that involves a lot of of heavy hard work. Great way to gain strength, endurance and a good physical will as side-perks of the job. You will need this for MMA.

Once you get into MMA and start really training, then see if you really want to take it up seriously. Take it step by step. You never know, you might not like it. If you don't like it or you get injured, you have work experience to fall back on. Although you won't be able to work for a while, you can get back into it or get a less labour-intensive job to use your experience.

5. killer_kicks88

killer_kicks88 Banned Banned

i agree with everyone here, but remeber that there ARE people who get in it quick, lets use Frank Shamrock for example...he had no martial arts/wrestling/boxing training or ANYTHING of that sort, and after one year of training he became a champoin in pancrase

6. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Adam, ever try training during a week of eight hour strenuous physical labor? I have. It doesn't quite fit into that nice of a package.

Sure, after a while I was good at piling heavy boxes of peas flying down a conveyer, but it threw my balance out of wack and I was too tired once I got home to work on anything technical or endurance-wise. And let's hand it to them, UFC fighters are as good with technical fighting as they are with physical conditioning (well, with the exception of Butterbean and Tank Abbot of course :D).

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Well I laboured for my builder friend who was doing my loft conversion, pretty damn heavy work. I thought it was amazing and a great way of building strength, I noticed some great differences in a few days. I went to training after three days of that. Yes, I was slightly worse for wear, but after a while you get used to it. I know this guy who is a brickie and is built like an absolute tank. He works a ton of hours a week, rakes in the money, goes to the gym every other day and still plays and trains for rugby. Different strokes for different folks my friend.

8. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

So, it's been a while since this happened. How have you progressed?

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The original poster won't be replying to this thread. His account's been "Moved on" due to how long it's been since it was last active - he doesn't post here anymore :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.