My Basic 4 Article

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Dave, how about an article on Groundin' and Poundin'?

Go on, you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Col

2. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I thought the article was really good and just gave me a few ideas on how I can improve my movement.

I've started doing some training in the excersise (of sorts) and have incorporated it into my wrestling - it has helped alot.

MY brother and I were getting annoyed with the fact that we can wrestle with each other about 45 mins and no-one came close to a tap and we would both then be sore and tired - so we just wrestle now with intent of control and movement it feels much better.

As for adding in the ground and pound - were gloves and a mouth guard then when you have oppourtunity pound him - gives a good insight into trying to get out of being mounted with a good ground and pounder on top of you and also shows you how difficult it is to get a good shot in from the mount

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

YODA, seems to have been the missing link in my training. I have been controlling people lately & on a regular basis! I have controlled a couple of guys who are over the 90kg mark. :)

4. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Controlling someone has nothing to do with their weight but thier balance and yours. While it becomes difficult for a light person to control a strong, heavy person, if you are balanced and can restrict certain aspects of their movment they won't be able to move and you will control

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In Judo comp. I've only ever beaten one person by pin and he was around the 115kgish mark (I was 87kg at the time). I agree with Dar here, I felt that the guy could have pretty much bench pressed me, by using good balance and my weight I was able to play it so I trapped one of his arms between our bodies thus negating his strength.

Its possible to beat the heavier/stronger opponent, it may not be easy, but its possible if you spend enough time learning and drilling the basic principles ;)

Colin

6. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I'm quite heavy (90kg) but when I'm wrestling with smaller people who know what they are doing I will end up in positions where pure brute force is unable to help me out.

These people are about 70-80kg and only through using a combination of brute force and understanding of balance can I get them off but I find I am easy to dislodge if I hold the top position. I am in the process of trying to get more control of my balance so I can control my opponents easier. It has begun to improve but I have been unable to wrestle for a couple of weeks so I am keen to see where I'm at.