My area has too many martial arts clubs but I have nowhere to train

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ronki23, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ronki: what bad outcomes (specifically, not just 'it isn't done that way') would result from you training at the same club as someone you want to fight against again?
    - They may not agree to fight you later since they train at the same club?
    - They will know how you fight from seeing you train/sparring with you so will have an advantage? (You would have the same advantage over them though.)
    - Something else?

And more to the point: is it worth not training at all, to avoid that outcome, given that you say that despite there being 10+ clubs in your area, all of them have at least one person you want to fight against again training there? Note that not training at all will also result in you not fighting any of those guys again.

Even if training at a particular club would prevent you from fighting some of those people again, it would allow you to compete in general still. Even if for some reason you really cannot fight against anyone who trains at the same club at all (are there explicit rules against this?), surely not every single person you want to fight again trains at every one of the clubs? I.e., you could pick a club and train there, losing the ability to fight, say, 30% of those people in the future, but you'd still have the 70% of them who don't train at that club.

bassai, aaradia, Monkey_Magic and 2 others like this.
  2. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

You obviously didn't look up the videos- look them up as I don't want them coming up on my YouTube feed

Chris Higgins vs Wojtek Rudnik: Chris used the side-on stance and spun around multiple times because that stance is crap for continuos fighting. He used the backfist too which sucks. Chris is an excellent point fighter (WKA England Champion, CIMAC Superleague, WAKO GB Silver medallist) but he is bad at full contact because of pointfighting's bad habits. Standing side on makes it harder to throw combos but in points it's done bexbeca hitting the back doesn't score

Dave Thomas vs Brad Ball: Dave kept his hands low when he threw kicks, he led with kicks (never do that- in MMA or Muay Thai/Sanda you'll get your leg grabbed). He crumbled under pressure from Brad. Dave is a 3x CIMAC Champion in pointfighting and light contact and also has WFMC titles in both formats but this was humiliation.

Hythe Interclub- Ricardo vs Chris: Chris is a foot taller than Ricardo and 30kg heavier but barely won. He used pointfighting and Ricardo was all over him!

2012 IMAO- Jon Van Den Heuvel: Dave Thomas fought Jon Van Den Heuvel (the second fight in the video) and kept his hands low and led with kicks again. His in-fighting sucks because in pointfighting the fight is stopped vefbef it happens

Setiously- LOOK IT UP ON YOUTUBE!!!

Other fights

Rick Roufus vs Changpeuk Kiatsongrit , Raymond Daniel vs Joseph Valtellini: Valtellini/Kiatsongrit chopped Roufus/Daniels' legs down to slow him down

Raymond Daniels vs Nieky Holzken: Raymond Daniels was outboxed by Holzken

Pointfighting breeds false confidence. In a real fight it's not going to be stopped/reset after the first strike.

Judo is awesome for MMA: Werdum, Noguiera, Fedor, Jacare, Hector Lombard,Rousey all hold judo black belts. Hidehiko Yoshida and Satoshi Ishii are judo Olympians and Amanda Nunes holds a brown belt.

I don't want to spar with people I want to fight MMA in the future as they'll figure out my habits. I left IBA judo because they didn't let me grade despite learning the katame no kata and no local K1 club

3. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

You obviously didn't look up the videos- look them up as I don't want them coming up on my YouTube feed

Chris Higgins vs Wojtek Rudnik: Chris used the side-on stance and spun around multiple times because that stance is crap for continuos fighting. He used the backfist too which sucks. Chris is an excellent point fighter (WKA England Champion, CIMAC Superleague, WAKO GB Silver medallist) but he is bad at full contact because of pointfighting's bad habits. Standing side on makes it harder to throw combos but in points it's done bexbeca hitting the back doesn't score

Dave Thomas vs Brad Ball: Dave kept his hands low when he threw kicks, he led with kicks (never do that- in MMA or Muay Thai/Sanda you'll get your leg grabbed). He crumbled under pressure from Brad. Dave is a 3x CIMAC Champion in pointfighting and light contact and also has WFMC titles in both formats but this was humiliation.

Hythe Interclub- Ricardo vs Chris: Chris is a foot taller than Ricardo and 30kg heavier but barely won. He used pointfighting and Ricardo was all over him!

2012 IMAO- Jon Van Den Heuvel: Dave Thomas fought Jon Van Den Heuvel (the second fight in the video) and kept his hands low and led with kicks again. His in-fighting sucks because in pointfighting the fight is stopped before it happens

Seriously- LOOK IT UP ON YOUTUBE!!!

Other fights

Rick Roufus vs Changpeuk Kiatsongrit , Raymond Daniel vs Joseph Valtellini: Valtellini/Kiatsongrit chopped Roufus/Daniels' legs down to slow him down

Raymond Daniels vs Nieky Holzken: Raymond Daniels was outboxed by Holzken

Pointfighting breeds false confidence. In a real fight it's not going to be stopped/reset after the first strike.

Judo is awesome for MMA: Werdum, Noguiera, Fedor, Jacare, Hector Lombard,Rousey all hold judo black belts. Hidehiko Yoshida and Satoshi Ishii are judo Olympians and Amanda Nunes holds a brown belt.

I don't want to spar with people I want to fight MMA in the future as they'll figure out my habits. I left IBA judo because they didn't let me grade despite learning the katame no kata and no local K1 club

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

You're not going to spar, or fight anyone any time soon, because you're not training.
    And, if you do start training at some point soon, you'll be so far behind your competition, because while you've been sat at home crying about how you can't train, they have been training.

Soon, your life will have passed you by and you'll have missed your chance.
    All because you think you'd rather not train with people you may want to compete against.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And you theirs.
    But it's pure logic: You don't want to spar anyone your annoyed of, because they already once. So instead you don't train let alone spar at all.
    Makes total sense.
    Just don't learn anything new, whereas they keep going and getting better; doesn't give them the satisfaction of winning against you again, because they know, it's nothing to be proud of; like stealing candy from a baby.

Mimimi.
    Everyone is mean, we got it.
    You were late, tough luck.
    There would have been a next time, and you still could have used the kata there and then.
    But instead, once again, you decide to whine about the others, tuck in your tail and feel like you hurt them. Well, you didn't. You just gave your ego a push and built false confidence.

+1

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

It might be time to stop feeding this one

Refusal to listen or learn ..

Sadly shut down the thread to protect all

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This is absurd. You don't even want local opponents "figuring out your habits," so you won't train ANYWHERE where ANYONE you might compete against in the future will train? This is absurd and self-defeating. You will never get good at competition without competing a lot locally. And you will never be ready to compete locally without training.

Listen, I know a bit about competition. Not at MMA or even karate--I don't do the former and I only compete locally in the latter--but I went to nationals a few times in fencing in high school, and took gold at the Colorado State Games. You are not going to get good unless you seek out the best people near you and train against them. You may run into them again in competition. That's okay. There's nothing new under the sun. You're not going to have some magic strategy they never predicted. You win by being better at the basics meat-and-potatoes stuff then they were on that particular day. And you don't get good at the basics without training as much as you can with the best people you can find to train with.

So suck up your ego and go train. Sounds like you like judo. Pick the best judo club and go there. Drop the ego at the door and go train until you can barely stand. Repeat and repeat and repeat and one day you'll find yourself good. But there are not secrets, no shortcuts.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Translation; you are a self entitled (person who is whining) and who can’t fight sleep and are looking for excuses why you got pasted off a couple of spotty teens

I know! Blame the discipline...you know, the one that you keep losing in because you suck? That will definitely work and people won’t see though you like glacial ice at all......

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2018
  9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Make your point without getting into personal attacks. Any future personal attacks may well earn a poster a time out.

I am locking this thread. IMO, it is past the point of being a productive thread. But whether the lock is permanent or temporary will be decided by the entire mod team.

Closed pending mod discussion. But the warning about personal attacks is for all of MAP, not just this thread.

Edit. After discussion and input from the mod team, this thread will remain locked

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Monkey_Magic and Alansmurf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.