My area has too many martial arts clubs but I have nowhere to train

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ronki23, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, obviously you couldn't as you've lost.

So, because they were better and you couldn't beat them on their turf you want to fight them in a different system.
    Makes sense.
    Hey! Idea right here: Maybe you can try and win against them in swimming?

Mimimi, like a four year old.
    but still: You have more then 10 places to train at.
    You just don't want to, because you think you're better then them.

@Latikos you say that grade doesn't reflect on fighting ability but I disagree. A GOOD club would give grades out depending on your performance; especially in judo or BJJ where the black belts in these styles tend to do very well in MMA. [/QUOTE]
    In Judo you can grade just by doing gradings, not by fighting.
    So, please explain to me, how that equals to grade = competence?

Even in BJJ you get more and more chances to get the next belt by doing a grading and not actually fighting.

I would like to see a video, where they put a gun to your head until you agreed to fight.

Don't confuse him.

Smaug97 and axelb like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My god...you're old enough to have been to university?...and yet are still name checking people that mean nothing to anyone else like we should know who they are?....and holding internal lists of people to avenge your losses to like some knock-off semi-contact Arya Stark?
    I spent my three years at uni training and competing as much as I could (and that degree annoyance and a bit of drinking) and then working the holidays to pay for it all over again the next term.

axelb likes this.
  3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

My training is in full contact style (originally kickboxing, now Sanda).

Full contact kickboxing taught me backfist. I agree with you that it’s not the most powerful technique (unless you catch someone with a spinning backfist!). Nonetheless, I learnt backfist in a full contact style and like to have a backfist in my toolbox.

I also agree with you about the risks of a side-on stance, but it does have its place. Sanda occasionally uses a side-on stance (despite being a style that emphasises takedowns).

However, I disagree with you about sidekicks. The sidekick’s great. Compared to many other kicks, it can be harder to catch a sidekick (which matters if sweeps and takedowns are allowed). It’s also a powerful kick: I imagine YouTube has footage of Cung Lee’s sidekick as an example.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    David Harrison likes this.
  4. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

The guys who I named have won national ISKA, WKA ,WAKO titles in pointfighting but can't replicate the success in light or full contact

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Forget them. Train yourself to improve yourself.

Step anywhere outside of this and you'll fail.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are very few truisms in martial arts.
    One truism is to never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
    Another is that you will get the best chance of success if you prepare and train for a specific goal with that goal in mind. You don't get by-product success automatically.
    Gokhan Saki is not that successful at mma but was a hell of a kickboxer.
    Georgio petrosyan is widely admired as a kickboxer but would probably get manhandled by a low level wrestle-boxer in mma.
    The list is literally endless if you start naming people that are skilled in one format or arena but would struggle in another.
    I'd bet one thing though...the people you mention that failed to transition to full contact from semi would mop the floor with you in either format.

Monkey_Magic, axelb and Simon like this.
  7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What a lot of nonsense. World-class fighters have made all stance angles, from side-on to front-on work for them.

"if you flinch or turn away the side on stance makes you spin around" = "I haven't conditioned myself to pressure enough yet not to flinch and give up my back."

"side kick is a crap technique" = "I'm crap at sidekicks."

If power is your only criterion for evaluating technique then jabs, probing strikes and feints go out the window.

If I hadn't learnt guitar I'd be playing piano concertos at the Albert Hall.

Why is this in the past tense? If you give up and admit defeat so easily you wouldn't have gone far anyway. Probably best to sit at home and stew in your bitter juices.

axelb likes this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One of the latest UFC's had a finish off a side kick to the body (forget who). Jon Jones finished Vitor with a side kick to the body. Jon Jones makes liberal usage of the side kick to the knee. As does Conor Mack. That other cocky Irish guy got finished with a side kick to the chin. Darren Till messed up Wonderboys knee with a side kick. Wonderboy himself is someone that has transitioned from point fighting to full contact to the very upper echelons of MMA and kept his side kick as a potent weapon the whole time.
    Side kicks don't suck.
    What suck are side kicks (or any technique really) that are attempting to be used outside of the initial confines they were developed in. Side kicks that arent integrated into a wider set of fighting support skills that are needed to transition outside of those comfort zones.
    You know...the main lesson the advent of MMA has shown us.

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And with that they still have wayyyy more accomplished than you.
    Think about it.

Tip: It's probably not, because they kept whining about the mean and evil others.

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you didn’t suck you mean

Alfie Lewis was a fiendish scrapper back in the day and his son Marcus still is - and I don’t even do points at all so I have no dog in the hunt

Once again you are whining about the style or the club or the other sundry crap you are throwing at the wall in a desperate hope something sticks ...all of which does nothing to hide the fact you are lazy and lousy in equal measure and cannot face that simple truth

You will never achieve a black belt

Dan Bian and axelb like this.
  11. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

I hope this isn't taken as a personal attack, because it's not...

But I think you guys are arguing with someone on the autism spectrum. Not dysfunctionaly so, but spectrum nonetheless.

Had a few come through my judo club on and off awhile ago. Not entirely physically coordinated. General lack of social skills, along with some very strange, almost obsessive, social perceptions...

Hard to say for sure over forum posts, but all of the boxes seem to tick.

Anyway, point being when someone's reasoning skills are skewed so far from the norm, you're just never gong to get anywhere.

Wasted effort.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My older son is autistic. He and I train at the same martial arts school. He's gotten his butt kicked at tournaments and he NEVER has reacted in this way. Nor would either the school or I tolerate this sort of behavior.

I wish folks would quit saying "I think he's autistic" when they mean "this guy on the internet is selfish and temperamental and unreasonable." A lot of selfish and unreasonable people on the internet have "self diagnosed as autistic" and use that self diagnosis to justify their bad behavior, and the stereotypes those folks perpetuate cast a negative light on the entire autism spectrum community.

Dan93, Smaug97, Hannibal and 3 others like this.
  13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

To me it looks more like someone with a big ego on the lookout for excuses.

I have autistic tendencies (not actually Autism. Probably) and only because someone acts like he does, doesn't make him autistic.
    He's a sore loser who doesn't get that he has to train and not only complain.

EDIT: Mitlov Ninja'ed me.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

With all respect meant, I think it is an ill advised idea for non-professionals to diagnose someone with any type of illness- especially based on a few Internet posts. I get the intention, and I know it is well meant though.

David Harrison likes this.
  15. David Harrison

"Wasted effort" seems a bit of a harsh write-off.

Regardless, he doesn't come across as vulnerable, so I don't see any problem with giving frank opinions.

16. David Harrison

What I find weird is how people who will jump down the throat of anyone saying "fool" are happy to bandy around the label people "autistic" with abandon.

17. David Harrison

I didn't write "fool". MAP changed the word I used automatically.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As aaradia said....I think when people bring up autism in this kind of situation it can be problematic but has a strange kind of well meaning motive behind it.
    It's very easy to react to someone on the internet at face value when there may be more at play.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Dude, have not read every post.. but;

Your coach was right you need to lighten up and not take yourself so seriously.
    Train to be the best version of you and take on challenges to better yourself in your chosen area, learn to ignore all the other distractions, comparing to others, avoiding people etc..

Check your ego brother a lot of this doesn't put you in a good light.

Alansmurf likes this.
  20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Just for the record, I certainly don't think Bohemian Rhapsody had any sort of negative intent at all. He was coming from a good place. I was just talking about some negative unintended consequences of posts like that, nothing more.

David Harrison, Smitfire and aaradia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.