My area has too many martial arts clubs but I have nowhere to train

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ronki23, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

People either find a way to train or find excuses not to train. It's that simple really. (Only one gets better at their art.)

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

For someone as interested in MMA and competitive fighting, you seem to be quite ignorant of the value in cross-training.

Practicing multiple disciplines, at different clubs, allows the fighter to gain much more experience in a much wider range of techniques and strategies.
    Say there are two Judo-ka in a competition, fighter A wins the bout because his technique is superior to fighter B's.
    Fighter B looks at why he lost, and how he can rectify the issue before a future rematch. In order to plug the hole, his current teacher (X) recommends he goes to spend some time training with Sensei Y, because of Sensei Y's experience and ability in developing the kind of skill that Fighter B was lacking in his fight.
    Fighter B goes to Sensei Y, learns what he needs to plug the holes in his knowledge, and learns a few new ideas for applying his existing technique.
    At the rematch, Fighter B is able to defeat fighter A, because B has taken the time to learn from, and develop his weak areas, and is able to bring something new to the mats that fighter A is not expecting. Fighter B wins, and this time Fighter A goes off and analyses why he lost, and goes through the same process.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  3. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I wish it was as simple as them training in multiple clubs due to multiple disciplines.

One of the guys who I want to fight trains at my original kickboxing club and the club I was kicked out of (and a year later invited back to). So I can't train at either club now.

Another of the guys has trained MMA at a minimum of three MMA gyms despite said gyms offering everything under one roof. Because I want to fight him I have nowhere to train MMA.

The MMA gym I don't want to train at has a BJJ brown belt as a coach who has trained taekwondo, boxing, Krav Maga (despite being a Muslim), and MMA (all at different clubs). Plus one of the BJJ blue belts is head coach of the club I hate

I have no judo club to train at because the coach can't take part and I was told I missed my grading despite training 5 months for it and there being a time slot later that evening or even the week after. I learned that stupid katame no kata despite my negative views on kata.

The kickboxing isn't even K1 anyway and I refuse to do pointfighting. Even if I have a kickboxing club to return to I don't have a judo club because the other judo club has tachi waza and ne waza on different days so one of the days clashes with kickboxing also I'm only red belt BJA but orange belt with the IBA:- I'm not going to grade with BJA when I'm supposed to be green belt IBA

4. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Funny how @Hannibal ignores all the videos showing pointfighting failing in the ring/cage. If I didn't do pointfighting I'd have got somewhere in kickboxing because of pointfighting's bad habits.

Michael Page hasn't fought anyone good and his father's been accused of child grooming

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Seriously
    Stop slagging off instructors
    You deserve a grade ...really ...
    It's awarded by the same instructors you are slagging off

Suggestion for you start afresh somewhere you have never been before. Put on a white belt and eat some humble pie . You will be a better martial artist and person for it.

Dan93 and Monkey_Magic like this.
  6. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

And where exactly am I supposed to train if the people I want to rematch keep following me (despite not having a social media account)

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I don't really care who is supposedly following you

I would wager they don't give 2 hoots for you

Reality check if none of the myriad of schools don't want you ....

You are the common denominator..

Look in the mirror and re evaluate

Dan93, axelb, bassai and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

By training with them. Worst case scenario by your crappy standard is that you can't train with them because you got hooped by them. Fair enough. If you can't beat them, join them. Fight new people and don't get hung up on it. The best revenge is to be the better person. If I had the choice of not training or training with someone I want to fight I'd go with the latter because you'll only learn in one of those scenarios.

Also, you sound like a clingy ex. Don't hold on to the past. If I held a grudge against everyone I'd lost to I wouldn't be able to leave my room.

Shmook, Dan93, Old bloke and 3 others like this.
  9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

These are all walls that you're building for yourself.

You don't want to practice martial arts.

You just want some sort of esteem that you think comes from being a competitive martial artist - but it's everyone else's fault that you can't get there.

Suck it up, butter-cup.

If you don't train consistently, then it doesn't matter what belts/grades you've been awarded previously - if you haven't kept up your training of those skills, you don't deserve the grade/belt.

You NEED to drop your ego.
    Go to a school.
    Doesn't matter if someone you want to fight trains there.
    Doesn't matter if someone you don't like trains there.
    You go there FOR YOU. For YOUR OWN development.
    Stop sitting around crying because the world isn't your ideal ninja fantasy-land.

Shmook, aaradia and Hannibal like this.
  10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They don’t - they show you cherry picking a few losses to bolster a weak case. I notice you didn’t show the ones they won outside the point circuit...strange that

We had this debate before. By the measure you have Boxing doesn’t work because it fails in MMA. Judo doesn’t work because it doesn’t have a high success rate in MMA

Michael Page and the Legitimacy of Point Fighting | FIGHTLAND

Read that for a nice summary of point and its transfer.

Note that NO art survives a transfer to MMA on its own merits

Again the problem isn’t the art, it’s you

aaradia likes this.
  11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Hi ronki23,

Virtually everyone here has posted a version of this advice:

It's good advice. I hope you can take it on board.

Shmook, axelb, Hannibal and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You're not a high level professional fighter though. If you want to become one, you seek out the best people local to you and train with them. You don't refuse to train at a club because somebody good trains there.

Have you literally never heard of sportsmanship?

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  13. aaradia

ronki23, if you approach your training with as close minded an approach to listening to the advice here, you are never going to get anywhere. One can't learn when their cup is already full.

I don't know why you are asking for advice here, you are only arguing with the advice EVERYONE else is giving you. It sounds like you just wanted validation for your list of personal gripes and are disappointed you aren't getting it here.

I have known people who train while on dialysis, people who are blind, people who get up from their wheelchairs and do modified forms with their one limb working properly. The singer Lou Reed was an avid Tai Chi practitioner. His wife said he did what hand moves of Tai Chi he could while on his death bed. A real martial artist FINDS A WAY TO TRAIN, no matter what. Your petty ridiculous excuses are just that and any serious martial artist is not going to cut you slack or help you make excuses. Period. Martial arts is not only about developing your physical skills, it is about developing a mental strength and outlook that comes from the discipline of training.

If you think you are going to convince us your excuses and poor attitude are anything but what they are, you are mistaken.

GO FIND A WAY TO TRAIN! It really is that simple. If you want it bad enough, you will. (However, I expect you won't based on what you have posted here.)

Mitch, Hannibal and Monkey_Magic like this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This one time...at band camp...

Hannibal, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  15. aaradia

One more thing, you are wrong when you say you "can't" train at various places. The fact is you are CHOOSING to not train at all these places. Big difference.

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It still is simple.

That is such rubbish.
    You *can* train there!
    You don't *want* to train there, because your ego is as high as Mount Everest and you prefer to complain and whine about things.

And the problem is...?

Triggered me here.
    Because all Muslims are racist and not allowed to do KM due to its Jewish heritage? Which kind of makes Jews racist too, if they wouldn't allow any Muslim to train KM.

And why is that important?
    You wouldn't train at the club you hate, but at another.
    And guess what: People have a life outside of a single club.
    Another shock there?

What a surprise, still no reason not to train there.
    Unless you don't *want* to, which you could.
    You just prefer to keep whining and behaving like a spoiled brat.

Aside from the other dung in that sentence before - you're not *supposed* to be anything, unless you actually took the grading or got the rank awarded.

Face the truth, as Hannibal tried to explain several times already: The clubs and the other people aren't the problem, *YOU* are the problem.
    You and your ego and you behavior like a spoiled brat, because everyone else is at fault but you.
    Big surprise here: It's not the mistakes of the others!
    You are just looking for excuses while feeling sorry for yourself.

lol right
    They keep following you, because you are such an awesome human being and they want to be mean.
    They don't try to get better or anything...:rolleyes:

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you want a "rematch", and their training, and your not, guess who would be winning that "rematch".

Ronki, have you tried taking about this to whoever you currently talk to professionally?

Hannibal likes this.
  18. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ronki, you can't control other people. Getting upset about how one other person is doing something you find outrageous is one thing.
    Getting upset about how many many other people are doing something, especially when 3rd parties with knowledge in that area (such as others who have responded on this thread) don't see a problem with those other people's behavior, is not going to be productive.

You cannot really control how you feel, though. But you can choose what to do about how you feel.

I have a friend who I grew up with, I've known him for 30 years, from when we were little kids.
    He takes things very personally, and is very paranoid in general. He tends to immediately assume other people have the worst intentions when they do anything that bothers him in any way. Anything from other drivers on the road to how his co-workers act to an offhand comment from an acquaintance. He is often angry at his family too.
    It sounds like you may have a similar mindset.

I do not bring this up to offend you or to upset you. I feel bad for my friend--I think it is rare that he goes an entire day without getting very angry at something. I have watched it cause issues in his relationships, his career, and his life in general.
    I'm not saying that you are the same way--the only interaction I've had with you is reading this thread. But it seems like your mindset has some similarities to his.
    I would suggest that working on the way you perceive & frame things in your mind could have a positive impact in your life. A good psychiatrist/cognitive behavioral therapist would likely be able to help you do that, if you were so inclined.

E.g., what bad things do you forsee happening if you did go train at one of those clubs you say you can't train at? I wasn't able to really get a picture of that from reading the thread, but maybe analyze whether those outcomes are actually bad enough to be worth giving up training in something you want to train in?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Dan93, Hannibal, Dan Bian and 3 others like this.
  19. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Firstly, my record in fighting is so:

Pointfighting- 3 wins and 9 losses
    Light continuos- 1 win and 9 losses
    Judo- 0 wins, 1 draw and 10 losses

I know I could've beat 1 of the guys from pointfighting, 4 of the guys from continuos and 1 of the guys from judo. I'm sick of losing so I want to rematch them under MMA rules where ALL dimensions of fighting apply but I have nowhere to train because the guys who beat me DON'T STICK TO THEIR OWN CLUB!

@Latikos you say that grade doesn't reflect on fighting ability but I disagree. A GOOD club would give grades out depending on your performance; especially in judo or BJJ where the black belts in these styles tend to do very well in MMA. Heck, most amateur MMA fighters fight with only a blue belt in BJJ and many UFC fighters barely go above purple.

This is where @Hannibal comes in; my first and third kickboxing clubs were crap because they forced me to do pointfighting. I'm too disgusted to even search for the video but I can tell you the titles of the video for you to view on Youtube:

1. Chris Higgins vs Wojtek Rudnik. Chris is a WKA England champion in pointfighting and has won CIMAC Superleagues in it. He's even got a WAKO Silver Medal in it. He used that stupid side stance and pointfighting techniques and got beat.

2. Dave Thomas vs Brad Ball. Dave was my coach before I got kicked out and he got HUMILIATED against Brad. He was leading with kicks and keeping his hands low; 2 staples of pointfighting. Brad punished him by throwing combinations as soon as Dave kicked because Dave was off balance and is a long-range fighter.

@Knee Rider

You weren't too impressed with the guy who took me off his friends list- the black belt in Goju Ryu. I guess it's because he's used to doing karate kumite as opposed to kickboxing.

20. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.