musicians you try to live up to/your influences as a musician

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Oct 31, 2007.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Question to musicians: what musicians do you try to live up to? What musicians have influenced you the most or have you tried to emulate?
    Lately on guitar I've been trying to play like a cross between Tom Verlaine and William Reid.

2. Zuarko

Zuarko Valued Member

I'd love to play bass as Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller... but I'm light years from it. First I got to get into jazz better... Now only rock and metal influences, I want to go further (even with funk) ;)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

For me on guitar I've always been a huge fan of the late and great Ali Farka Toure... and that being said pretty much anything West African.

Something about his undulating style that is sublime. He does some repetitive patterns that you just generally don't hear in western music... but often hear in Persian and other types of middle eastern music. This is the source of much of his hypnotic groove.

Of course... it took me ages to get anything that could approximate the sound... until I started playing with various tunings beside the standard tuning.

Additionally I was alway impressed and somewhat influenced (I'd like to think) by Toumani Diabate... the Senegalese griot who is famed for his Kora playing. The Kora has 24 strings... so it's definitely not a guitar... it's basically a gourd harp. Paired with a guitar it's unbelievable.

Honestly any of the music of West Africa just strikes a chord in me that makes me have a whole different take on music and sound.

There are simply too many to list...

But I'd have to say at the top would be:

Ali Farka Toure

Boubakr 'Kar kar' Traore

Toumani Diabate

Here is Ali Fark Toure and Kar Kar
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYVwXGD9-I"]YouTube[/ame]

and one that clearly shows why West Africa is the ancestral homeland of Blues music
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXgi2QYC74"]YouTube[/ame]

and to give some idea of the Kora there is no one better than Toumani Diabate:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8luhdxS2KuM"]Toumani Diabate plays the Kora - YouTube[/ame]

and here is Griot Lamin Saho on the Kora
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lv-uYPORc"]Griot Lamin Saho( httt://www.duniyaa-recording.com ) - Peace, love and unity between the people. - YouTube[/ame]

and Djeli Moussa Diawara (a Djeli is a griot)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiYmHHqN2Q"]Djeli Moussa Diawara at African Festa 2007 #3 - YouTube[/ame]

more by Djeli Moussa
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2s03o-GpTM"]djeli moussa - YouTube[/ame]

what's crazy is I can't find a single vid clip of Lahmine Konte.... the Senegalse griot who plays the Kora. :(
    But if this sort of music strikes you... you can't go wrong with Lahmine Konte.

Much of this reminds me of single or twin stringed instruments popular in the rural areas in Laos and Thailand. Obviously they don't have the same number of strings... but somehow they accomplish the same sound... the single string instruments are called Plang and are played by picking with a metal plectrum. Most Lao people or Lao-Thai people will know of these... especially if they come from the Isaan area of Thailand... most Bangkok city Thai's don't really care for that kind of sound though I've noticed. They tend to associate it with country people - much the way people associate the banjo with hillbilly types. Actually if you go back in history... most cultures of the world have a single or double stringed instrument somewhere in their culture.

At any rate.... when you find yourself dicking around with your guitars at 3am and you bust one string or several... then that is the perfect time to change you headspace on guitar playing and try some of these sorts of rhythms and screw around with alternate tunings.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

is there anything u dont know about slip.....

5. slipthejab

hahaha...:D
    I've probably ruined more guitar strings trying to even get smidgen of the groove that the musicians listed above have. I'm not a good guitar player and I don't even possess a particularly keen ear for music in terms of pitch tone etc.... but it sure is fun trying.

6. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

yeah I'm a self taught bass player myself lol

but school/MA has kept me from practising

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Nothing like a (burst on the old banjo) as my wife puts it , to relax after some hard training. I have a vintage fender strat and love blues guitar and Ry Cooder bottleneck. One of the guys is a guitar teacher and every now and then we have a guitar session.

Rythm, timing, hands and eye co-ordination now is that guitar or martial arts? :)

regards koyo

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'd say I'm a direct product of my influences. No matter what style of music I play (well, as varied as I get anyways ;)), I think I always sound like "me" and you can pretty much always pick out a fair number of my influences, particularly Robert Smith of the Cure, Kim Thayill of Soundgarden and Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. There's other stuff I get inspiration from - early Metallica, Randy Rhoads' beautiful classical lead work, the Pixies' twisted riffing, for example - but largely, I'd say I mostly sound like a mix of those three guys, just with varying levels of distortion or effects depending on what I'm playing

9. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

As far as musical influences go
    Steve Harris
    Duff Mckagan
    Jason Newstead
    perhaps even John Entwistle( even though im not a fan of the who)

Been trying to master the Steve Harris Galloping bass line its a bloomin nightmare and he only uses his index n middle finger aswell

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I think I am more inspired than influenced. In drumming I find it tricky to totally mimic another drummer, because I'd rather have my own unique style rather than be a copycat!!

11. slipthejab

Being influenced doesn't = being a copycat. Far from it.

There is nothing wrong with copying anyhow. Anyone who works professionally in the arts (whether it's muscial or visual) will at some point have spent some time directly copying other players that came before them. There's nothing wrong with it at all. It's a large part of the way knowledge and insight is passed on down. It's been done for centuries... from the great master painters of Europe to the master photographers of this century.

Additionally, it's very easy to pick out someone who just straight out copies and never moves beyond that... as opposed to someone that is influenced or inspired by another artist. There are many jazz vocalists who were influenced and inspired by horn musicians.

The result is some of the most amazing vocals the world has ever seen. The best example of influence I can think of is the vocal stylings of Billy Holiday. Her vocal phrasing and a whole lot more are a direct result of time she spent playing with legendary jazz trumpeter and vocalist Louis Armstrong... and yet at the same time... they're uniquely Billy Holiday.

12. Zuarko

Zuarko Valued Member

Me too :) But nor school, nor MA keep me far from my bass :D I never turn up a practise with the band. Which music do you play? Have you learned slapping on your own? It's funny to try it out alone, hehe.

13. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

As a bassist:
    Jaco Pastorius
    Steve Harris
    Geddy Lee

14. RobP

RobP Valued Member

As a Hammond player Jimmy Smith is the absolute guvnor

After him - Jon Lord, Keith Emerson, Ray Manzarek was a big influence, so many others too. You can get ideas from anyone and anywhere.

As far as copying goes - it's how everyone learns! And of course if you play in tribute bands it's kinda compulsory lol - here's me with 24 Carat Purple

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8LaVR_TdBuc[/ame]

cheers

Rob