Musicians? Where ya at?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by RexKwonDo Jones, Feb 7, 2013.

1. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

Just outta curiosity, how many of you fine folks on MAP are of musical inclination? I play the bass and harmonica myself. What instruments do you guys play? What kinda music? Can I have a dollar?

:banana:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. RexKwonDo Jones

I can't believe I spelled musicians wrong in the title of the thread XD

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Seems fine to me...

;) :)

4. RexKwonDo Jones

haha! Thanks for being my guardian grammar angel!

5. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Acoustic guitar and Yueqin here!

6. RexKwonDo Jones

Had to Youtube that. Guitar Center sure doesn't sell any of those lol

7. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I've been playing saxophone for about 20 years. I got my bachelors degree in jazz saxophone, which also required me to learn piano, flute, and clarinet. After graduating, I played professionally in musicals and for movie soundtracks for a few years before going back to school to pursue my other great love: science. I'm now mostly focused on my medical school studies, but I still have a few saxophone students on the side as something of a hobby. If I can find the time, I'd love to start up a jazz big band one of these days. I've started transcribing and writing out instrumental parts, but it's a lot of work and I'm pretty pressed for time these days.

8. RexKwonDo Jones

Man. That is all so awesome! So you're a 29 year old jazz saxophonist, who is in medical training.... You must be a pretty big hit with the ladies! ;)

Do you have anyone helping you out or are you just writing the parts yourself? I would offer to help or to lend some bass but I can't read or write a bit of music beyond being able to tell what the individual notes are! Do you have any of your work uploaded to any sites?

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

And don't forget about BJJ!

As far as the ladies go...my girlfriend seems to at least tolerate me (most of the time!)

I'm unfortunately pretty old school when it comes to my music. I don't have things available online, and since it's now more of a hobby than a career, I haven't put much effort into making things available for other people...it's become more of a private passion at this point.

Thanks for offering to help! Transcribing can be a long and arduous process, but I enjoy the mental challenge. You should learn to read!

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I used to play guitar and bass a lot. I listen to punk...I play like the Ramones during their first rehearsal. I used to sing (shout?) in a few bands too. The last band I sang in was pretty awesome and we got a lot of good feedback, but the guys had been in bands together on and off for ages and all hated each other (the usual band ego stuff). So it never really went anywhere. Just as we had enough songs to do a gig, we quit.

A few years back I started to listen to lots of old rock and folk, old time, bluegrass, so decided to learn more than 3/4 chords and went for lessons.

I wanted to play like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpYet4rFpu0"]Little Sadie - Doc Watson[/ame]

I got into clawhammer banjo and harmonica too.

I haven't played for a few years as I got a shoulder problem from wall climbing and I could hardly hold the guitar or pick. My shoulder seems to be a lot better so I need to start playing again.

Edit: I am actually getting the feeling that I should get another band together...but it's a lot of work and hassle.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. RexKwonDo Jones

And do I know it! I've been playing the bass for 9 years now, and I am quite content to say I've gotten this far on nothing but feeling. Not that I've gotten far at all :p I mostly just play blues, funk, and rockenrawl. Nothing that's really required being written down in a group setting lol. However I would love to expand into Jazz, I'm just not musically smart enough :cry:

12. Omicron

Omicron is around.

All it takes is practice!

13. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Guitar Center dosn't but LugBuy does. ;)

14. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I own a bass guitar... I wouldn't go as far as to say I could play it though... I was having lessons for a while, but crashed my car and had to stop the lessons to afford the car mending >_<

I'd love to be able to play like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7u9OW6iGU"]Les Claypool - The Awakening (Full Song) - YouTube[/ame]

15. RexKwonDo Jones

Les Claypool's tone is so mean. I've loved the man since highschool!
    I'm no teacher or anything but if you'd like to emulate his style I'd suggest looking into learning some of the songs by people he was into himself(that's what I did to emulate a lot of playing styles). I know he's REALLY into Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins.
    Also, don't know if you know this or not, but using octaves is super important in funk-based styles like that. Sometimes I feel like they're all I rely on :p

16. RexKwonDo Jones

You sound like one interesting dude! Thanks for posting that video, I've heard Watson's name before but have never given him a listen till now. And what a great sound he has! The song itself reminded me a lot of Cocaine Blues a la Hank Williams and Cash.

17. RexKwonDo Jones

Also if I ever find myself knocking about in Muumimaailma(lol) I'll be happy to help you take their music scene by storm!

18. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, well Cocaine Blues is just a rework of Little Sadie. It's one of the great things about roots music, there's so many versions and reworks of the same songs. It makes for some interesting research.

Watson was amazing, one of my favourites. Blind since he was about one. Sadly he died last year.

I mean, I love my punk, but I prefer playing acoustic / folk / bluegrass stuff.

19. RexKwonDo Jones

Blind you say!? Mind is blown. Punk is cool but I've never gotten to into it as deeply as other stuff. I think the attitude is the best part lol. And the plaid pants, those are pretty cool.

20. Bozza Bostik

Yeah - He was blind.

Plaid pants? It's not the 70s! :)