Muscle Recovery (Legs)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cavedweller, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Valued Member

I've been training with kettlebells for years but I recently joined a gym and started a weight-lifting program which was drawn up for me by one of the staff.

After a session, I have some slight soreness in my pecks and shoulders but my upper legs are full of lactic acid and very sore for days afterwards. My last session was on Tuesday Morning. It is now Friday and my legs are still really bad. I did about 45 minutes of foam rolling after the gym and I have been rubbing magnesium oil into my legs every day. The leg-work I do is Deadlifts 55KG 10 Reps x 3 and Squats 50kg 10 Reps x 3. I am surprised by how sore I'm getting because my regular kettlbell routine has included double front squats and double suitcase squats with 24kg (48kg in total), same reps and sets as I do in the gym.

I normally train in Kali/JKD twice a week but I have been training once a week because I'm too sore and that's with just one weight-lifting session a week. Ideally I would like to be able to lift weights 2-3 days a week and still train in MA two days a week. I'm 44 years of age. Perhaps I'm trying to do too much.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice, tips, tricks to hep improve my muscle recovery. I'd also like to get some opinions on training / weight-lifting while still very sore from the last time. Is it a good idea or bad one?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Are you taking any supplements?

When I was weight lifting regularly, I found L-Glutamine very useful for recovery. Usually would take 5 g before and 5 g after a session. For me it at least halved recovery time.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

stretch afterwards. Foam rollers are great for getting lactic acid out.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

your first weight training session is always tough but after a few weeks there wont be any soreness.

try lower volume (less reps) for a while and slowly increasing the reps

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what they said. also, if possible, eat and sleep more :p

6. Cavedweller

Thanks guys. I think I'll try a combination of everything suggested, especially less reps and L-Glutamine. I'd still be particularly interested in people's thoughts on doing the likes of squats and deadlifts while the leg muscles are still sore from the last session.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

The advice re: your muscle pains (D.O.M.S.) given above by the other folks is spot on. I'd add to what they have said that you make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Helps flush the muscles of lactic acid.

Your question about training again when you are still sore is appropriate. I think it is fine to train when you are sore as long as you can maintain proper form and weight control. If you can't, don't be a plate head and lift heavy because your ego is sore too. I've been seeing a lot more people writing that their routine has deads and squats on their leg day. I have never liked doing 2 big/compound on any body part. UNLESS I am doing a heavy day to shake up my routine, I would do squats one workout and deads the next.

8. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Hydrate, stretch, sleep/rest up, balanced high protein diet and time will see the doms reduce. Gentle cardio the day after can help a bit, it sucks a bit but 10-20 mins gentle cycling just helps to loosen theegs up I find.

You will never totaly get rid of it if your training hard but it does get less/weaker and go quicker as your body gets more used to it. Just see it as a sign it was a good session lol

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

What these guys said :)

Also, if you have the inclination, a decent length (30-60 min) easy/moderate walk or cycle (preferably outside rather than on a machine) will help with soreness, as will a nice relaxing bath, massage or sauna/steam room/jacuzzi.

As for supplements I find that fish oil (capsules or from eating fish) and vitamin C (tablets/dissolvable or fruit) help with the inflammation. At least, I notice it worse when I don't have/eat them...

10. Cavedweller

I was asking more about weight training while still sore as opposed to MA training.

My weight training routine is nt organized in splits so I do the leg-work as part of routine which includes upper body work also, but I think you might be on to something regarding doing deads and squats in the same routine. I might alternate them as you suggested. If this would allow me to train (weights and MA) more often then, I'd probably reap more benefits anyway.

11. Cavedweller

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I understood your question. Perhaps I wasn't clear. My response to training if you are sore was to advise that, if you're too sore to maintain proper form when lifting then lower the weight. Being sore can cause poor form and poor form can lead to injury. :hat:

13. Cavedweller

You were clear. I was just a bit dopey!

14. Flatfish

Flatfish New Member

Just one more point from personal experience. I find that I get really sore whenever I change things up a bit but by now, after exercising regularly, it usually only takes one "bad" workout with seriously getting sore and them my body adjusts. Slight soreness will still occur but not like being unable to get off the toilet. For example I used to do pull ups, then switched for a couple of months to squats, deadlifts, rows, etc. just started pullups again and my back was killing me after the first session, after the second session I feel pretty much ok. Since you have been exercising for a while I would venture that your problems will go away pretty soon.

15. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Just for everyone mentioning lactic acid, it isn't the cause of DOMS, and is usually fully cleared from the system within a couple hours of exercise. Lactate actually acts pretty much like an energy substrate rather than an exercise deterrent, the feeling of burn during exercise is more like due to leaking of a calcification substrate and more free protons (acidosis).

This is a separate phenomenon from DOMS which starts well after the burn and everything related to it is gone from the system, and actually occurs after/during recovery, as the recovery process (flooding the muscles with the resources for repair) causes an irritation of the peripheral nervous system, causing symptoms with a similar mechanism to chronic pain.

DOMS is more likely when the stimulus is different from what the body is used to, and I would suggest that the main cause of your soreness is a slightly different motor pattern by switching from suitcase to BB deadlifts and front squat to back squat.

The cure? Do it frequently enough that it isn't a shock to the system. If you only do those movements every once in a while, you are going to get DOMS, if you do them regularly, you won't unless you have a huge increase in weight or overall volume.

To manage the DOMS now, bloodflow in the area will help, whether than is light activity, stretching or foam rolling. Pain affects movement, so be careful with form, but you should stick with the workout schedule if the pain isn't so severe to affect your form.

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I was about to have this same point.

The first time you barbell squat your gonna hurt.

I'm a jog believer in hair of the dog, if squats bit you then some squats will certainly bring you some relief. It gets easier don't worry.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I agree with this, but i am still curious about why he is having soreness. I have worked out with kettle bells in the past and his were about the same as mine.

So with barely a difference in weight between his kettlebel work and his barbell work why is he having such soreness? Especially with the same muscles used over a similar weight?