Multiple attackers

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

This one has always proven to be a contentious one. What do you believe the best advice is when facing multiple attackers?

Running would be my immeadiate thought.

Budo.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Agreed.

From a "macho male" perspective it is nigh on impossible - from a womans it IS impossible. The best defence is awareness not to be in the situation in the first place. Like so many other things though if "the wheel falls off" I would advise "hit and quit" (i.e. make a gap and bolt through it!)

The other advice from a more general perspective is "keep attacking until no-one is left standing", but that is a LOT easier said than done!

3. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Create less surface area for them to hit.
    Back against a wall.
    Guard your vitals.
    Never go to the ground. NEVER!

4. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hello all,

Well first let’s say that if you run away or avoid it then there is no multiple attackers situation! Multiple attackers would imply you actually had to defend against more than one person.

Here is what I teach to Women, Men & Children:

1) DO NOT put your back to the wall!

2) Keep moving!

3) Change heights and Yes even go to the ground!

4) Try to get one of them between you and the rest of the attackers as a shield or obstacle!

5) Pick up anything you can use as a weapon and use it!

6) Get out of there any way you can!

*********************Details of the above*********************

1-A) With your back against a wall you are cornered! You had better be able to block & disable the attackers coming at you cause you can't get away from them!

2-A) A moving target is harder to hit, grab or corner and gets you closer to an exit point.

3-A) If you are in a crowded dimly lit club, dropping to the ground and scattering through the crowd can confuse the attackers and let you get away. Also doing a roll away technique is a fast & un-expected move that puts a lot of distance between you and your attackers.

4-A) One of them is going to be at the head of the pack so keep them in front of the others by moving and leading them around, pushing into the others, etc.

5-A) Self-explanatory! Pick it up and use it!

6-A) Get to or make an exit point! Knock out a window, kick open a door, make a hole through the dry-wall or whatever else gets you out of there!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

5. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Back to a wall keeps your opponents from coming behind, but I will go with ICT and say keep moving on this one.
    Going to ground, I think they meant by this to avoid grappling situations on the floor. That I will agree with, not so sure of scattering through the crowd...
    4&5, absolutely.
    6 - if you have been fighting for any length of time, the chances are that at least one of them is going to feel fitter than you. IMO don't start to run unless you have some reason to believe they won't follow, e.g. you've just dropped the leader, have some way of blocking your exit behind you, etc.

The important things to remember are the time constraint that is on you, i.e. you may be able to hold off three attackers whilst fresh, but you are also going to get a lot more worn down a lot quicker than they are, so finish it in whatever way as quickly as you can.
    The second thing is DON'T GET OUTFLANKED! However you do it, keep all of your opponents coming from one direction.

6. S.M.A.R.T Fight

S.M.A.R.T Fight New Member

Of course, as it has been stated before, escape if at all possible. Run, scream, whatever. If you do find yourself being attacked by multiple attackers, I dont necessarily agree on become too defensive minded. I know there is no fundamental answer, but a violent bloody attack on just one of them, and it can change the outlook of the others, plus if you can kill one, preferably ion a messy way, worse case, you have one less attacker.

7. totality

totality New Member

oh dear god, no, not this one again...c'mon, there are like 4 current "multiple attacker" threads!!!

8. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Nobody said you had to read them.

9. totality

totality New Member

shaolin dragon=fired.

10. Rice Krispies

Rice Krispies Valued Member

"3-A) If you are in a crowded dimly lit club, dropping to the ground and scattering through the crowd can confuse the attackers and let you get away. Also doing a roll away technique is a fast & un-expected move that puts a lot of distance between you and your attackers."

Bootraped.

11. Guerilla Fists

Hey that's good Rice Krispies, I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense in a crowded to room to do that.
    I was probably not thinking about that variable because all the times i've been jumped have been outside

12. totality

totality New Member

no 8, he was saying it's a terrible idea and you'd have your face stomped off. it was actually ICT's idea from the above post...

13. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hmm,

A bad idea huh, well it worked for me and it has worked for several other people I know.

How are the attackers going to boot you when you go away from them and they can't find you?

It's not a do every time move but it does work in clubs. Heck, running through the crowd gets you away. If any one has spent any amount of time in a club then they have seen plenty of people do something really stupid like sucker punch a person or grab a girls ass and then run through the crowd never to be seen again.

I have both bounced & been a patron at clubs and I have seen these thing happen many times, one second they are there and the next gone.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

14. Guerilla Fists

D'oh, well in a dark place where it is enclosed and all out brawl I might consider duck and roll.

15. totality

totality New Member

i wasn't the one saying it was a bad idea, calm down kids...

although i'd much rather kill everything in sight with a ki blast.

16. Rice Krispies

Rice Krispies Valued Member

If you hit the ground in a fight, expect to get stomped out. If all your oppnents are facing you in the fight and/or not focused, running the other direction or across the ground or whatever may work. However, if they really want you, when you drop, youre done. Stay on your feet. Man, Ive even seen bystanders join in for a stomping just because it looked like fun.

17. Guerilla Fists

yeah, I think I'll stick wtih staying up. As a last optino though it'd be good to keep in mind.

18. tkdhkddave

tkdhkddave Valued Member

Just a thought, if you keep your back to the wall then no one can get behind you,plus you can use it as a weapon (no one likes their head smashed into a wall) I wouldn't want to go to the ground with multiple attckers though, surley that's asking for a good kicking, in fact for me that's the last place I would want to be in most sd situations even though we train it at our clubs.

I think for women it would have to be most times run, or hit first and hit hard to vital areas to make a gap and then run...if you can....Oh yeah and make a hell of a lot of noise as that might hopefully draw attention to your situation or maybe throw the attckers off for a while. in fact that should be for men and women....

19. creamcheese

creamcheese New Member

Multiple Attackers Eh!!!

Difficult to know what to do in situations such as these and I'm grateful it has never happened to me. However, what comes to my mind is......If you show fear, the dogs will chase you and eat you for dinner. Animals smell fear a mile off!!! A relative of mine though, (male) was confronted by 5 guys. His reaction was very quick. He just concentrated on the nearest thug to him, grabbed his collar at the throat with his left hand and with one mighty blow in the thugs face, split his face open right down the middle. The others ran off as fast as their legs could take them and that was the end of that.........or was it.........NO, it went to Court and my relative had to suffer the consequences. But hey, he was the good guy just trying to get out of a bad situation the best way he knew how.