Mugendo

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by diamond_geezer, Oct 3, 2005.

1. diamond_geezer

diamond_geezer New Member

I just wanted to know if anyone has trained in Mugendo with Meiji Suzuki in London? It is a modified version of Kickboxing.

http://www.mugendo.org/

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Trained there years ago but not with Meiji Suzuki and it did seem to be like kickboxing 100%.

3. novicio

novicio Valued Member

Hi all,

I trained there for about a year. It was a very good experience for me. When I was last there in 2003 they were going to close down the whole building for restoration and supposedly re-open the dojo afterwards. I then heard that they sold all their equipment and closed the dojo. I haven't been back since so I don't know whether its still operational or not but the pics in the website are quite old.

Now whether its 100% kickboxing or not, this is what I know: Sensei Meiji had a karate background. He then modified what he knew by removing the katas and modifying the stance and throwing out blocks keeping only deflection techniques.
    What I was told by a Muay Thai instructor is that he was inspired by MT during the development of his system.

So to summarise, good school but I don't think it exists any more.

If the system interests you you may want to check out some schools started by star students of Meiji. These are Paragon gym in Shoreditch and a gym by McKenzie in North London somewhere. They all have websites.