mudra animals

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by simonsarutobi, Oct 16, 2018.

1. simonsarutobi

simonsarutobi New Member

I would know if there is a connection between mudra and evocation of animal as in naruto cartoon.
    is there a real storical foundament?
    thanks

2. simonsarutobi

simonsarutobi New Member

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Almost certainly not

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

As far as I know the hand signs in Naruto are inspired by the Hinduist/Buddhist mudras, but the hand signs themselves are made up :)

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't know much about it despite being around for a long time

All I've seen taught is some hand seals and associated chants that have some connection to a martial principle or useful attitude in life

Not exactly mumbo jumbo, but I believe you'd have to delve deep into the esoteric traditions, speak the language etc before you'd get much out of it

I suspect that developing your kamae, growing some balls & reading the poem "If" will get you 80% of the way there

pgsmith and CMM like this.
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I have come accros them for the elements only: water, wind, fire, air and void. I found training them ("the elements") with their meditations and accompanying (sword) forms interesting, cool and of benefit at the time. Others mileage may vary. Mine wasn't one of the recognised Ninjutsu schools though FWIW, long time ago now.

7. Dunc

In the Bujinkan the elements are simply a way to count to five rather than anything deeper

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Only if you do them in front of a strong light so it cast the shadow on the wall. :)

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

ok I'll bite, for the sake of some discussion.. how much or how little of the esoteric tradition to you accept or recognise in your school/ system. And what do you think is really the truth about that. I have come across written material from someone who learnt under Hatsumi come right out and say yours is or was also a mystery school, essentially. Would you agree or not; Is it 'just' a martial arts school to you ?

regards

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. Dunc

There are various esoteric traditions in the Bujinkan Ryuha (as there are in many old Japanese martial traditions)

Hatsumi-sensei does a good job of passing on the useful or essential points of these without requiring you to delve too deep into these very arcane and peculiarly Japanese practices

There will be people who’ll say that he teaches the real stuff to certain special people and that may be true, but in my experience his focus is on passing on the concepts / principles to a global and modern audience. Albeit with a sprinkle of mystery to keep it interesting

cloudz likes this.
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Just thought I'd mention working with the elements isn't peculiarly Japanese or even Oriental for that matter, when it comes to Esoteric practices and systems. They would be in the Western esoteric systems influenced by Hermetics for example. A difference might be they use 4 rather than 5 elements, for example, and different ways of working with them. Different ways of working though isn't peculiar to any enthnicity or culture, but to be expected regardless. Systems from China vary, Bhuddist systems vary from eachother, Hermetic systems vary from eachother so on and so forth.