Muay Thai vs TKD...

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Singto Laaw, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

Why do people asscociate TKD with Muay Thai? :rolleyes:

Is there something i'm missing? :confused:

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Our two styles do seem to collide quite a lot don't they?

I haven't the foggiest idea... I read an interview with a Muay Thai champion who said he was in the process of learning TKD so possibly they may compliment each other quite well (long and short range striking)?

Regards,
    Alexander

3. Shins

Shins New Member

Yes, I`ve found this aswell. Master Sken who train`s us is also something like an 8th dan in TKD aswell as a Master at MT. They must definetly compliment each other in some way!

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Was Master Sken ever interviewed by FHM? If so I think that was the interview I read! He looked amazing.

5. Shins

Shins New Member

It is possible, as he`s done a few interviews for magazines and the like. He is truely brilliant but as the old saying goes, you have to see himn to believe what he is capable of!

6. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Perhaps it's because they have arguably the two most powerful kicking styles around.

7. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

At my dojo we learn a couple of different martial arts. The main one is TKD, but we also learn Muay Thai and a few others. I don't get this either, but just wanted to add this.

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

MT and TKD have little to do with eachother. People asscociate TDK with everything because of its huge popularity. It's something they've seen or trained with for a while and its familiar to them.

So if you want to compare a move from another not so well known MA like MT , you ask what's the difference between that move with the TKD one.

In MA forums everybody is talking about how effective MT is. So when people ask about it and they want to compare it with something they know.

Thats the only thing i can think of

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  9. sean

sean THOR!

I`ve recently started Muay Thai with my TKD and find the kicking speed and balance from TKD (ITF) help when recovering from moves. Agility aswell :)

10. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

LOL 2 most powerful LOL :bang: ya right.... God i love this fourms keepp poping up over and over.

ONLY IN WRITEING MY FIREND ONLY IN FORUMS...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  11. Singto Laaw

So why do people not go, its like that move out of the american kickboxing style?? why TKD? If its TKD gyms trying to teach muaythai, are they teaching muay thai or they teaching a new style of tkd?

12. alex_000

Because like i said TKD is the most famous MA (at least here in greece but i think its the most famous worldwide too)

13. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

The reason most people mix them up is the Thai/Tae in the titles, people uneducated in martial arts think they are the same!

14. Singto Laaw

Its not so famous around here, and I always thought that it was Kung fu then karate!

15. alex_000

Fair enough.

16. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

Their are more tkd schools then mcdonalds where i live. I think they do it to attract adults to their schools giving a presence of realism which is the opposite of tkd .

17. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

It happens a lot. Schools that exist purely for making money and handing out promotions every two weeks are prevalent all over the world, hence the term "McDojang". It's the same with Muay Thai and a lot of other martial arts, although usually not to the same degree as Taekwondo.