Muay thai vs karate

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Jan 15, 2014.

1. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

...and side-steps, bob and weave, circuit training, bag work, floor to ceiling ball, timing, pad work, sweeping up the dojo, winding hand-wraps, shin conditioning, ball and chain dragging, pointless, endless, debating about a subject we clearly understand each other on, but for some reason just continue on and on and on debating the pointlessness of the fact that if either/any of us have actually trained in Muay Thai that we all know exactly what's been spoken of - and someone is just being awkward.

Now what about that Muay Boran?

Muay Thai is just a sport, for crying out loud! :p

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

:ban:

3. EdScissorhands

It is - it's deeply flawed with regards to street self-defense because you entrain a habitual acceptance of co-operative timing.

If you really believe what you've been saying, you should really seek out a decent Muay Boran master - otherwise - whereas you can probably fight now (being a beginner and all) ... in 2-3 years time it's likely you won't be able to fight your way out of a paper bag :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I think the better question would have been: how long until I make 'Kru'?

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

And you're seriously setting up your average karateka or Shaolin monk as a better alternative than MT for self defence?

Pure fantasy.

6. EdScissorhands

That is a very complicated rhetorical question.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No it isn't - the fact you think it is is pretty telling

8. EdScissorhands

Everybody on MAP knows it goes:

1. MMA
    2. BJJ
    3. JKD
    4. Muay Thai
    5. Boxing
    6. ....etc. etc.
    238. Wing Chun

Within that context: full-contact is mandatory, religion is absurd and chi doesn't exist.

9. Hannibal

It's a generic term for traditional Thai systems and the chances of anyone actually having trained in it are slim to none because it effectively morphed into Muay Thai.

Then Tony Jaa made a cheapo martial art flick and suddenly everyone comes crawling out of the woodwork claiming they do Muay Boran and it is "the real deal not a sport" when they just repackage bog standard Muay Thai

10. EdScissorhands

Does anyone know if Hannibal likes anything?

11. Hannibal

Knives, Bourbon, Coffee and Skyrim...provided the elves are killed off rapidly of course

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We're a forum full of very experienced martial artists, law enforcement officers, self defence experts, instructors, students, lawyers, scientists and so on.

I think we can all see what's absurd.

Carry on...

13. EdScissorhands

perhaps take a trip to Japan the Coffee, though, is better in Paris.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

What a load of rubbish.

Good luck finding legitmate Muay Boran masters in the UK.

And I very much doubt my fighting ability would diminish in just 2-3 years time.

You're trying too hard.

You genocidal racist you...

15. EdScissorhands

Why?

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Yes, you're being awkward by insisting it has some kind of tiny, compressed technical repertoire?

17. EdScissorhands

Do whatever you like buddy, I won't stop you.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You can show someone how to do the core techniques of Muay Thai in a couple of lessons. That doesn't mean that the student has learned those techniques. You can show someone how to do the whole gokyo no waza in a couple of lessons, but only an idiot would think the student learned any of them.

19. John Titchen

Actually on MAP it goes:

1. Who's your instructor?
    2. How do you train.

On the occasions when a generic style is suggested for someone asking about self defence the predominant hierarchy suggested based on the appropriateness of your average gym to the six core physical training needs (to self defence) is MT, Boxing, Judo.

20. John Titchen

MOD warning.

I've already put a warning up about spam posting on the forum. When the majority of a poster's contributions are single short sentences they are falling foul of the TOS.