Muay Thai To Trap Music Part 1

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by stonze, Dec 6, 2014.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLeFVv1D4z8"]Muay Thai To Trap Music (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Muay Thai To Trap Music (Part 1)

I bring out the focus mitts and do some drills with my friend. Muay Thai is very good if you want to have great cardio and learn how to use your "8" limbs as weapons. Watch this video and let me know what you guys think.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

To me it looks like martial arts with elbows and knees, but not Muay Thai.

It's all decent enough, but not enough movement, or consideration given to defence.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Footwork needs a lot of improvement. I see a fair few instances of legs crossing over during side to side movement (if you move to the right, lead with the right leg, etc) and there's a lot of unnecessary movement, and side on stance work with both heels in line which begs for the lead leg to be taken out. Seeing a lot of elbows being held out wide in stance too. Generally better to have them closer to the ribs to protect them. A lot of the time I see the right cross roll down rather than come straight back to the face to guard.

The use of MMA gloves suggest to me this is more for MMA rather than actual Muay Thai, but the above principles should still apply really.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Stonze, take a look at the video from 2:02, you are holding the pads at chest height, which is just going to create bad habits in the hitter.

You also have a habit of tapping the pads together after each combination thrown.

This allows the hitter to switch off. You as the pad holder should keep him switched on.

The distance seems off to, especially when the hitter throws a hand combination, then a knee.

The pad holding has him kneeing upwards, rather than into you.

Granted he may not be throwing a long knee, but he should still be hitting into your ribs.

Have you actually trained in Muay Thai, or is it as Unreal Combat said, part of some MMA training?

5. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I trained for MMA purposes. I plan on taking a trip out to Phuket so I can train muay thai in thailand with real thai fighters and trainers. This video is something I want to use as a reference point to build and critique my form and everything else that needs work. I appreciate you guys for the expert eye and encouraging words. All I can do is train harder to become better