Muay Thai scoring

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by daggers, Sep 2, 2012.

1. daggers

daggers Valued Member

What are people's views on needing a sticky topic on the scoring of muay Thai how it is done in Thailand
    I myself am a qualified muaythai judge under tony Myers
    Tony is the uk spokesperson for scoring muaythai and he himself studied under top stadium Thai judges.
    Thanks to tony we in the uk have come on leaps and bounds in the way we train fight and score Thaiboxing bouts
    Thai boxing scoring is indeed very different to ANY other martial art and I fully believe that you will not get to top level unless you know how to score
    After all it's a sport!
    Now here is the problem, many judges around the world on many shows don't know how to correctly score muaythai and will score it the same as k1/full contact , so .. Learn to score as its supposed to be done or appease clueless judges.
    Thoughts on muaythai scoring please

2. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Hey mate,

I took the Tony Myers course too and I failed, I got 60%. I felt it was a bizzare test, I've never failed to score a fight fairly in the U.K. as a spectator.

I get that in Thailand it's like a race and I understand how some shots score proportionally higher. However I felt a lot of the fights in the test (I'm assuming it's the same 10 fights every time?) could easily have gone either way they were so close.

Everyone else I was on the course with failed too (abot ten of us) and we'ev all been involved with Muay Thai for a long time and one of them was a qualified referee.

3. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Hi mate,
    I admit many of the bouts were close, it is no easy task judging a muaythai bout
    Correctly , it's worth maybe doing a seminar with tony who will explain in depth the whole scoring system

4. Axelator

I think I did the seminar preceeding the test. I was taking notes and I think I do understand how the fights are scored. I even recognised one of the fights, I think it was the one with kaokoklai in it.

Tony said the fights had been rescored by Thais who watched the tape so I know they must have chosen the guy who didnt win that fight officially.

I really feel I know how to score a Thai fight but Thai scoring to me is stil just bizzare.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

a question from an outside perspective, do you guys feel that other places around the world are deviating from the origin's of the sport to much if they develop scoring systems a little different from those used in its home country, like is it something to be concerned about or is it not a big deal. MT culture in thailand as always seemed a little introverted and frankly kind of dismissive of foreigners doing the sport to me, I doubt they would care or think any more or less of foreign competition if it adopted slightly different scoring. Also from someone looking in from the outside the fights in thailand look very different from fights in the west by and large, there seems to be a totally different flow and mentality going on when you see two thai's going at it as opposed to anyone else. With that in mind is a different way of scoring not kind of a natural outcome ?

6. daggers

daggers Valued Member

I feel that as the leading country and mother of muaythai then yes we should score it as such, (Would USA mind uk and rest of the world scoring baseball different?)
    I believe that the way muaythai is scored helps preserve muaythai technique and tactic that is unique to striking arts. You will notice Thailands fighters are very different to many other parts of the world due to this fact. In other words, the scoring system and a full understanding of it, coupled with training around and for it, is what makes the Thais so damn good!
    I think a pinical for any none Thai fighter is to compete and win at one of the too stadiums (lumpini, ratchadamnern, omnoi) how would they ever expect to compete and win there if they trained different scoring systems

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I guess thats how evolution happens, but anyway wasn't saying things should be that way was just wondering what the general perspective is.

8. Axelator

I think generally fights in the west are scored differently, they are scored more in line with boxing, where each round is judged by itself while Thais like to view the fight as a whole like a race. I think westernerns still weight kicks to the body and knees above other strikes though.

If you were to score the way Thais do in the west I think you would have a lot of angry corner men and coaches to awnser to as you try to explain how their fighter lost.

9. daggers

daggers Valued Member

I think the fact is more and more people are becoming aware now ( certainly in uk) of how it is scored in Thailand and are employing it here (in the uk, all the top shows use judges who score as it is in Thailand)

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I have not much opinion on the subject, I could go either way. I just judge amateur bouts. The big push around where I'm at is to comply to better International standards for rules and judging. This way you can go to different places and the standards are supposed to be the same.

Professional level, I can see how it could be important to score according to how they do in Thailand as a matter of principle.

Talking to referees and judges for professional fights, I get the opinion that most fighters want to get paid, so they don't want to look bad or get disqualified, both of which can keep them from getting paid. A constant reminder that it is all about the fighters.

That's the way I feel... it is all about the fighters.

11. Axelator

I think not that many can actually score it Thai style though, so you end up with some judges who are going to be scoring it one way and another set who score it another. I know whenever someone from out gym fights our coach has to go talk to the judges and see how they are going to score the fight, which you shouldnt have to do really.

12. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I would like a sticky

13. daggers

daggers Valued Member

I think this should be a sticky too.. Very important info - mods?

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I don't think this thread should be a sticky, it doesn't actually give any information on how Muay Thai is scored other than try to raise awareness that the system is difficult to score.. I do think you should write an article about how Muay Thai is actually scored and have that stickied however. That would be useful to Muay Thai practitioners that aren't aware of the scoring system.

Or just link to one of the numerous articles on the Internet that describes the scoring system.

15. daggers

daggers Valued Member

My bad, I did a post with how to score it and thought this was the thread, that'll teach me to read it before posting lol

I'll dig it out and bump it

16. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I was also quite sure the info was on this post when I mentioned sticky'ing. .