muay thai schools in memphis

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 13, 2013.

1. NCCombatives

NCCombatives Valued Member

That does take some getting used to and r equires a different mindset. It has to be experienced

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I've experienced it.

Not my cup of tea, it'll have its place to a small degree and is useful for sensitivity and such but I feel the cons out weigh the pros.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't mistake my personal dislike for an indictment of the style - I am sure that there are appropriately competent individuals in this as with any other style. The problem is that the quality control in the style
    Is exceptionally poor. New schools break off all the time and the ones that do seem to display any degree of ability look less like Systema and more like any other gendai/Combatives. In a ruck I would back the Thai boxer 9/10

As always others mileage may vary depending on instructor and or experience

4. NCCombatives

I agree with the varying degree of quality but IMO that is the nice thing about Systema, the base is simple and you take off from that point training to find WHAT WORKS. I incorporate a lot of different "styles" into my training but I believe the slow, soft approach of Systema works well for TEACHING self defense.

In a ring with rules is not where Systema belongs. It is a true combative with few if any real guidelines that takes the opposite approach to Krav Maga when training.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

There should be a name for this argument: "I can't show any credible evidence, you just have to trust me that it's an awesome martial art!" If a martial art can't improve someone's punching, kicking, choking, throwing, grappling and limb breaking I don't really trust it all that much. If it can, why can't it be used in the ring? Teapot on mars and all that.

6. NCCombatives

WOW.....Is this a place for differing opinions or do people typically attack others for absolutely no reason whatsoever? I'm beginning to thinks it is the latter

7. philosoraptor

An evidenced opinion is very different from an unevidenced opinion, and asking for evidence is not an attack. Why should I trust you? Why should you trust me for that matter? I don't really have anything against you personally, I just think that your argument is poor.

Edit: Also, it's an argument that comes up a lot when a martial art needs to cover up its deficiencies.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  8. NCCombatives

This was pretty much an advice thread right? So it really is just opinions. I'm not asking you or anybody else to trust me on anything I'm just giving my opinions not trying to make an argument.....I'm not sure where the negativity comes from

9. philosoraptor

No negativity here, I just think that the statement "This helps for self defense but cannot be shown to work in the ring" deliberately obfuscates the discussion. Fact is, we have extremely loose rulesets that allow for the testing of various martial arts. Looser rulesets than say, MMA, do not suddenly introduce new martial arts to the pantheon of those that perform well. I sure as scallops think that these testing grounds are better evidence than blind faith and form a better basis for an opinion. If I were to say "Welp, hadouken's are really what you want to practice for self defense," I think people would rightly call me out on it.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it probably comes from the fact the whole it's for the street and not the ring argument has been done to death on this forum and usually is used by those whose art has never proved itself anywhere and is used to justify bad training and bad training methods . And a lot of people find the whole it.doesnt work well in a ring i.e. against a trained opponent under agreed rules BUT it will work on the street where there are no rules arguement a bit weak.

11. philosoraptor

12. NCCombatives

I'm not sure what you guys are looking for or why when it comes to Systema.....a military combative training system that has been tested on a battlefield for quite some time. Is Krav Maga a proven training method? How do you know it is? How about LINE training or SCARS? Are they proven to work? They are all similar just different means and methods. I'm not trying to suggest anything is better than the other but some of you seem to take things a bit personal for some reason.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

SCARS .....really you brought SCARS into this????:eek:
    Nothing personal here just stating what's gone in before but I will say this
    To quote someone I know who served with the Canadian airborne and spent time in isreal the krav Maga is taught in their armed forces is nothing like what is taught to civilians, and that in turn is nothing like what the special units learn.....just because it shares a name doesn't make it the same thing ...

14. Hannibal

Systema is far from battle proven - most Russian military do Sambo for starters. This is the "sketchy" past of Systema I alluded to. Most military are not too good at unarmed combat because they are armed all the time. The ones that are good generally do it as extra curricular

SCARS was and is a total joke

I can legitimately claim to have a system taught to Team 6 and my instructor and some of my closest friends also teach US military and some other agencies that may or may not exist. But it is only a small part of what is offered

15. NCCombatives

Have you ever even been to a Systema seminar or do you typically judge things by youtube videos? I am wondering if anything is actually legit to you in a street situation

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Woo Hoo, well then, I want to study hadouken's :love:

Also, I don't like SCARS, I have a few too many

17. philosoraptor

First step is mastering the quarter circle forwards.

18. Hannibal

I earn my crust in "street situations" so of course I have preferences

When you reach a certain level you can see easily what does and doesn't fit into the paradigm you operate in. But to answer your question I have trained with some Systema guys yes

You do not need to be a plumber to tell someone they have a leaky pipe and you do not need to be "hands on" to tell whether something is a high or low percentage move

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]