muay thai schools in memphis

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Almost/basically what I was saying a few posts back.
    A lot of youths seem to be confronted with a concerned for being "dissed"

What type of "concessions"? Does this include fighting for honor and respect over petty indifferences

Well if you read a few posts back, there were similar comments directed to me.

Basically, it seems, we have a person looking for advice on a short cut in order to go out and fight people out of honor and respect

You can lead a horse to water....but in some cases, you just can even lead a stubborn mule to start off with.

Again, I think it is a improper mentality and attitude. Not saying, I did not have one in my youth

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

That was a nice reply. I agree. You should stay out of trouble because it is more important to be able to support and be there for your family rather then end up im jail or worse and not be able to. All I'm saying is people need to stop being stuck in their own little worlds assuming that everyone else is like them, and no one else could possibly be different and have different circumstances. And to the other guy that told me not to tell people they need to learn how to read. If you read the guys post I was replying to, he told me I need to learn how to read first. I was just correcting him.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have you considered Ninjutsu?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He told you that you need to :

Within the context of the sentence and advice be proferred he is saying learn how to read PEOPLE not read as is "ABC..."

So yes, that is EXACTLY why I told you to look again, and the fact you didn't is telling about the way you approach life in general. Look at your interractions here and then imagine behaving thsi way in real life....do you perhaps think that it would cause conflict? It certainly did here and that is without any physical gestures to accompany the metaphorical posturing and chest beating

This is a perfect illustration of the point Ap - and indeed everyone else - was making...learn from it

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm sorry. Did you just compare a woman being raped with you being "hated" because of your good looks and way with the ladies?

I suggested that learning to read people better would leave you better prepared to anticipate attacks like the pistol whipping in the back of the head. That's not condescending. It's common sense. It didn't go from 0 to 60 in a flash. There was a progression there. And you turned your back on the guy (if this story is to be believed) after ratcheting him up enough that he actually thought beating you senseless with the butt of a pistol was his best recourse. I'm guessing that any of our resident self-defense experts would tell you that there were queues in that scenario that you missed.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter. As Hannibal has already pointed out, people are different, but there are recurring themes. Your behaviour thus far fits nicely with a theme we see here all the time. But, as I said originally, don't take anyone's word for it. Go train. I'm sure you'll continue to get grief over your preternatural good looks. And, when that happens, either your muay thai | silat | boxing will help or it won't. Go and see.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Those prone to fightin over petty indifferences don't make concessions as a rule...a manner of speech...

but you're a might scappy this evening, you are...wanna have a go, guv?

:fight1:

7. belltoller

meant to be served with a helpin of humour, that. :)

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Not scrappy, happy. Just making sure I read that part right

9. belltoller

I'm sure I don't even want to know what 'scappy' might mean in New Orleans.

10. NCCombatives

NCCombatives Valued Member

Do you have a Systema instructor in your area?

Silat and MT are both brutal striking styles and I have gained a LOT of knowledge over the years from both but neither come quickly or easily.

Systema teaches you to rely on your natural instincts as techniques and you will learn much quicker. YOU know yourself better than anybody so your training should focus on the natural skills handed down to you through evolution. All Martial Arts advance towards this "instictive" goal Systema just cuts through the nonsense because there are no rules, stances, techniques and forms to master.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  11. Hannibal

Systema is one of the single patchiest arts I have seen. Lots of hype, little substance, questionable history and only a handful of practitioners can make any of it work to a remotely passable degree

Also contains some of the most stupid techniques i have ever seen - especially against weaponry (see; "The Tanswell incident" aka "The Seni incident"....a term which i am pretty confident I actually coined)

It has apologists by the bucket load, but is just RBSD in camo pants with an unhealthy Russian fetishistic aspect bolted on

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. NCCombatives

No offense Hannibal but perhaps you don't understand what Systema really is. Internet videos are worthless in describing it because it isn't for "sport". You pretty much have to take anything you don't witness in person with a grain of salt.

Your fist, arms, elbows, knees, head and legs are just bodyparts you use as natural weapons. The best way to learn to use them effectively is by learning to use them naturally. You can't name an "art" that doesn't have what you call stupid techniques. Not when it comes to "real life" situations.

13. Hannibal

I know EXACTLY what Systema is - my opinion is based on that

14. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjGVV58ufUE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjGVV58ufUE[/ame]

All the theory goes out the window when reality sticks it beak in

15. NCCombatives

You mentioned defense against weapons. You ever been attacked by somebody with a knife? A stick? If you have how did you defend it? A technique?

16. NCCombatives

This is the video you choose to compare "real life" to? Is this a joke? That is a controlled environment which has zip to do with self defense

17. Hannibal

I will ask you once and once only - do you REALLY want to go down this route with me?

I give you a few minutes to think before I post again

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Breathing, movement , relaxation and form.

Very nice concepts and workable when applied correctly and Systema has some nice ideas.

It also has a complete and utter load of bollocks and a nasty tendency to brain wash uke when doing partner work.

As an addition to an already solid base it has some uses as long as your bovine fecal matter detector is working.

On its own it probably brings more problems than it solves, IMO.

19. NCCombatives

Not sure I understand this question. Are you some sort of resident grand master or something.....I mean I just joined this place today

20. NCCombatives

That is any self defense or sport fighting.