muay thai schools in memphis

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

what are the best muay thai schools to go to in memphis, tn to become a good fighter and why?

Learning which martial art will prepare you for the streets the quickest. I heard Muay thai takes about 6 months before it will become applicable for real life situations. I don't know about pencak silat.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

No martial art will prepare you for the street. Mental ability is a must. Each street confrontation differs. If you want something quickest, either get a good pair of running shoes or a gun

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Really? So all martial arts are a waste of time when it comes to self defense?

OP- The answer to your question depends mostly on the teacher and how they teach the class. Try both out and see which one you like the best.

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. 47MartialMan

And thus, to elaborate

He was asking for "the best". Which, I do not consider "any", as "THE best"

And, a martial art will not prepare you "fully" for the street as there will be different situations beyond control

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

:rolleyes:

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Serious training in MT by good instructors is definately a good choice for those wishing to become fighters.

They don't use Muay Thai on the streets ( or penitentiaries, if 'the streets' be a euphamism ) Or any other kind of systematised form of fighting. All fighting styles are based around rulesets - things that are not allowed and not trained for. Even Vale Tudo has limitations - things that just won't be allowed because they are cowardly or unfair.

Everytime someone is taken down in the street, its been under the rulesets of cowardice and/or unfair advantage.

One slams a brick into your face whilist his mate shank into your kidneys.

It makes no sense to train under one ruleset knowing that you will be fighting under another.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. 8limbs38112

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Sure there are rules in the ring unlike in the streets. But I'm sure that training in martial arts makes you a better fighter.

9. 8limbs38112

Yall are dodging the main question I wanted answered. What I really wanted to know was which martial art will make you a good fighter the quickest? Is it Muay Thai or Pencak Silat. I don't know which martial art I should learn.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Your question has not been avoided. It really does depend on the individual teacher/school. You can attend a school of the "most deadly" style but if the teacher is training you in a ineffectual manner the moves of the system itself won't matter because you will not be able to use them effectively.
    You really need to visit both schools and see what you think.

11. belltoller

I don't know Memphis but I'd wager you'd be more likely to find an old-school style hole-in-the-wall type of boxing gym that'd give you all the fighting you could stand.

Plain ole' straight boxing gits right to the point of things and boxing lessons are generally a lot more economical than those fancy-pant pajama places and all their 'discipline' crap which you don't need nohow.

Tell the man that takes your money that you don't have no time for no conditioning, footwork or bag preliminaries ( you'n git yer conditioning in the ring ) and to pair you up with his best journeyman boxer so you'n git right to work.

12. belltoller

Seriously, 6 months from 0 to not just ring proficient but so intimately familiar with MT that one could strip the style down to its street-practical essentials seems...optimistic.

Assume that you've had no previous boxing, BJJ, judo, etc.

Why the rush on acquiring skills? Are you going to be in a less-than-friendly place in 6 months and need to acquire as much self-defense acumen as possible till then?

If so, I would look up jwt and/or his posts on the subject.

If what you want is a style that has minimum frills and maximum utility, one really can't go wrong with straight boxing.

13. 47MartialMan

Sounds like Youthful Exuberance

14. 8limbs38112

I was originally try to get trained in boxing until someone told me if a boxer fought a muay thai or some other martial art he would most likely get sent to the hospital. Plus I don't find it to appealing to get hit in the face without a protective helmet all the time when I'm sparring in boxing. For you people asking why I want to know which one prepares you for the streets the quickest, well you'd have to be in my shoes to understand. I am not a violent person, but Alot of people get jealous of me because women tend to like me, sometimes even when theres no female involved, so I never know when I am going to need to defend myself. sometimes I get put in situations where I have to defend myself. Most of the people who hate me don't have balls in the first place, but sometimes I have to throw down. I got jumped twice in a row last year and blacked out. Martial arts would definitely be beneficial to me. I know some of you don't really need it but I need to always be prepared because I never know what is going to happen.

15. 8limbs38112

Oh and another fight I got into just a few months before I got jumped. Someone pulled a gun on me, and as I was walking away he hit me as hard as he could. We started fighting, but I had to give up because my jaw was hurting too much so he got the best of me. All because I had to take a dump in his restroom and he was mad that I used some of his toilet paper. Understand why I don't want to waste time on a martial art that would take years before you can actually apply it now??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  16. 47MartialMan

This is absurd. A fully trained boxer can do some damage. Especially in close range fighting

Boxers only wear gear in practice so they wont get busted for the actual fight. They actually fight with all out power without head gear

You have been mis-informed

Quicker learning will get you killed. Quicker means you haven't studied well enough. Think of it like a cake, if you rush it, it will not be good

If you want quicker, study up on conflict. Learn to avoid conflict. The strange thing about martial arts, the longer (and older) you train, the LESS you get into fights. Fighting is a poor state of mind to resolve a conflict. (Self defense, on the other hand, is completely different)

Sounds like you have a poor method of avoiding conflict

Any martial art will not help you against a gun. Also, if you had known a martial art, and the gunman started to feel more threaten, you could have been shot.

Again, you are mis-informed and have a improper manner of thinking

Find a good teacher that as he is willing to spent countless hours of teaching you, that you return the respect and spend countless hours learning

As time passes, under the guidance of a good teacher, fighting becomes less frequent.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  17. 8limbs38112

sir, you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because you live in a nonviolent neighborhood, and don't ever have to worry about getting into dangerous situations doesn't mean your an expert on avoiding conflict. No offfense but everything your saying sounds dumb and as a person that never gets into violent situations you should probably shut your mouth. You say I need to study how to avoid conflicts. Man please. I guess I should go take a class on how to avoid conflict. Too bad there isn't one. And yes I will try to stay out of fights, and avoid conflict as much as I can, and I don't have anything to prove, but I will never be a coward. There are times when a man has to stand up for himself and YOU can go out like a coward or a little girl, but honor and respect means more to some people than it may mean to you. If you can't respect that fine. But so far all your posts to me have been worthless and pointless. If you have nothing better to say than this worthlessness I don't want to hear it.

-----

18. 8limbs38112

Thanks everyone that answered my questions to the best of your ability.

19. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Some boxing gyms spar with headgear, some spar without. Some muay thai gyms spar with headgear, some without. Both boxing and muay thai sparring involves getting hit in the head a lot. The attacks in a muay thai gym might not be quite as focused on attacking the head, but this is somewhat offset by the fact that receiving head-kicks really sucks. I have sparred against boxers and nak muay (in an mma setting), and I can state that both arts are effective.

Both arts will allow you to defend yourself should you be attacked for being too studly, or misuse of bathroom tissues.

20. 47MartialMan

*BOLD* Telling me "No Offense" and then calling me a coward or a little girl, is not appropriate

If you are referencing your post to me;

You have no idea. I have resided in some of the worse areas. Even after leaving, going back frequently.

You definitely have a incorrect mentality/attitude.

Its only worthless because your incorrect mentality/attitude gets in the way.

Some people cannot handle constructive criticism

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013