Muay Thai Kicks in English and in Thai... anyone?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by littlebadboy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

At the camp where I train at, we have 15 kinds. But I don't know what are the standard names for each in english and in thai...

Care to help?

2. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

the only ones I know are that a front push kick is called a teep. a jumping push kick is a (not sure of spelling) kradot teep. side push teep is (again not sure of spelling) khang teep and jumping side push kick is kradot khang teep. and a back push kick is a (once again not sure of spelling) krablangteep. Also a teep from a switched stance is a (spelling again lol!) thoy teep and a power teep is a (spelling) teep kwan. Hope this helps I'm pretty sure most of the spelling is wrong lol I havn't seen them written down only spoken by my trainer

3. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

that gives me a question actually, does anyone know if "plum" refers to a knee or a clinching technique thats been botherin me for a while always forget to ask my coach

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Plumm means "to clinch" . While it's used to refer specifically to the double neck tie position, it can be used for any upper body clinch.

5. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

While waiting for the Thai-linguistic crew to arrive (slip, nk, khun kao, sry if i left someone out), let me just say ROFL!! Funniest post i read lately! And informative too :)

High five twitch_88!

6. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

ahhhh yes i thought it reffered to the double neck tie as the last time I heard it it was while anderson silva was clinching the hell out of rich franklin lol, wish I could be that destructive in close! :eek:
    haha cheers Al_bundy lol yeh my coach is Thai and while he tried to say them as slowly and clearly as possible I still wouldnt have the first clue about how to spell them! yeh i'm sure some of the people with more knowledge of the Thai language will be able to make the neccessary corrections and add to my list. Pretty interesting thread in my opinion though always good to know the true names of techniques!

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

In all honesty, I've never learned the Thai terminology for all the different kick variations. I've learned "Teep" (Push Kick) and "Dtae" (Round Kick). I once asked my Thai coach to teach me the proper terminology because I wanted to know the correct (traditional) names for MuayThai's techniques, but he just laughed and said "Call them what you want to call them."

I know there are other terms used, such as "Kaang" (sp?) for round kicks. I think "kaang" is a reference to kicking with the shin. But if you do an internet search, there are some MuayThai websites that have lists of Thai terminology for various techniques.

8. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

heres what ive got... sorry if spelling is off
    dtae chiang - diagonal up round kick
    dtae tad - horizontal round kick
    dtae tawad - downward diagonal round kick

teep neb - snapping front kick
    teep drong - pushing front kick
    teep khan - side kick
    teep klablang - spinning back push kick
    dont know if this helps, need to get firecobra on to clear it up!!
    matt

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

thanks ballistic!

here are what i have gathered:

TE H DRONG ----------------------- strait push kick
    TE H PARA HOOK --------------- nutcracker / ballbreaker
    TE H DAD ------------------------- roundhouse kick
    TE H CHI YANG ------------------ diagonal kick
    TE H KHA-ING ------------------- half-shin half-knee
    TE H KHOK ----------------------- ax heel kick
    TE H GLA BLANG --------------- crocodile kick (turn outside-in)
    TE H KHOD ----------------------- downward roundhouse
    GRA DOT TE H -------------------- jumping roundhouse kick
    YEP TI ------------------------------- step-up kick
    TE P DONG ------------------------- strait foot thrust
    TE P KHANG ------------------------ slideways foot thrust (out-in)
    TI DO --------------------------------- sidekick bent to rib cage
    TIP GLA BLANG ----------------- turning back kick
    GRA DOT TIP -------------------- jump push kick