Muay thai is defendless on streets

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MsjFreak, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Simple human nature is to defend those vulnerable areas. Doesn't matter which system it is, if you're a male you're gonna defend that important area regardless of training!!!

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So true!!!!

3. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

These threads are on every forum and the debate is endless. If you want street/self defense and those aspects of thai martial arts go with lerd rit or the components of bare knuckle or krabi krabong. The sport aspects of course carry over but going for targets like eyes, hard, head butting, groin strikes and striking the ankle with the shin and the inside of the knee cause damage. Groin shots were legal in early bare knuckle as well so they are used and defended against well.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've always been of the school of thought that I've spent the entirety of my life defending the boys, kicking a pad a few times a week isn't going to let you past my impregnable fortress of nad protection.

5. tigre

tigre New Member

The person who started this thread seems to have something against Muay Thai which is a martial art that is battlefield tested as well as proven to work in various types of competition. Its a subjective arguement that don't go anywhere, however I have seen videos of various traditional martial artists like those Karate guys mentioned who have been beaten by practitioners of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. With this we can definitely argue that Karate has no defence against takedowns and submissions.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Battlefield" is a lot of a stretch

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's probably as much of a stretch as the op made when he indicated his preference for karate was based on it's own lineage of battlefield effectiveness.

8. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

That because fighting is not beautiful. It is in the movies but in reality its agressive, sloppy and violent. And Muay Thai has lot and lots of agression. Lots and lots of violence and too top it off, you wont be sloppy.

Its stated many times that when the doo doo hits the fan a lot of arts just end up looking like poor version of boxing or kickboxing.