Muay thai is defendless on streets

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MsjFreak, Feb 8, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thanks for the explanation :)

Sounds more like how we move, which is probably the main reason for me seeing so few groin shots connect properly.

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Interesting David,the kick I referred to earlier whereby the Thai said to Kick the Burmese in the balls was a straight upward kick with instep/shin basically aiming through the groin to the chin lol,also there are snap kicks to groin using various parts of foot ie instep and the one I like the toes:) by the way I forgot to post the video I mentioned on my first post so I have edited and its up now.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Fire Cobra, have you ever considered doing a session at MAPMeet? I for one would be interested in your take on older Muay Thai.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks Sifu Ben,I havent actually sir plus my depth of knowledge on older MT is limited I just have a passion for learning as much as I can on all aspects of Thai Martial Art and culture:)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3 AM, municipal park and two drunk guys who had just assaulted a Downs Syndrome sufferer and who will not comply with an single crewed officers direction to get down on the ground after he has them cornered after a foot chase

Funnily enough the second was much quicker to comply with directions once his mate went down screaming

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I once had a kickboxing coach who had us use a square-on stance, but with the lead foot turned inward. It felt wicked awkward at first. But his thinking (and I agree with him) was that, by bending the knee, you could still effectively shield the groin from a direct hit and retain the benefits of a squared stance as well.

7. David Harrison

That story makes me happy it was you that cornered the scum :)

8. David Harrison

Sure, you can do the same from square-on, but you have to be better and more conscious of it.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not arguing David. You just reminded me. That's all.

I won't lie. That stance never became second nature. Nor did the peculiar kicking method that came with it.

10. David Harrison

Neither am I :)

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

ive talked to about one wing chun teacher (who also teaches kali, greco roman and tactical shooting so not the true chun) and his explanation of the goat riding stance was to allow a person to stand square on and protect the groin (but using the stance dynamically)

12. David Harrison

That's certainly one aspect of it, it also feeds into their screwy power generation, as far as I'm aware.

Turning your thigh inward is about all you've got if you're square-on and have your hands busy.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Great. Then let's grab a drink and go kick some nak muays in the crotchal region. I hear it's easy. :D

14. Mangosteen

You should be more worried about whatll happen on the off chance you do nut them!

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Right?! That's where I commit seppuku.

16. Mangosteen

I think you're more likely to receive a samurai movie beheading by the shin of a small thai fella

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Basic Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma is awful for protecting your junk. You really want to use a more forward facing stance like Tsui Ma for that so you can use tan gerk and bong gerk.

Using the basic YGKYM actually has a lot of origin in the Baat Jaam Do. When you have two short blades you can't effectively protect your lead leg so there are times you switch to YGKYM or a shallow variant of it so your leg is farther back. It also has other uses and attributes with and without weapons but it is not about groin coverage in the slightest.

18. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

My apologies to this young poster. I wasn't aware this was a case of poorly educated youth. I myself was once a young nut kicker and inexperienced at protecting my own stones. Let us educate this fine fellow and clear his name of troll.

19. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

He needs to take a few to the nads or he will never learn.

20. David Harrison

Interesting that so many WC teachers and students think it is!