Muay thai is defendless on streets

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MsjFreak, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What does that mean, precisely?

2. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

Hannibal, SWC Sifu Ben. Your words make sense, you made me agree with you about the matter.
    Oweyn ap Oweyn,
    I don't have much of experience. Maybe just 6 months of training.
    Thanks.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Teaches kids parents how to part with money in return for a stylised keep fit & discipline class

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

With the last 20 minutes reserved for variations on dodgeball, non competitive variations.

5. MsjFreak

MsjFreak New Member

True that.
    It means that martail arts isn't just about fighting, it has discipline and stuff. Others has beautiful yet powerful moves. It has technique and awesomeness (couldn't describe it more). What it mean is the exact definsion of "art" something that is beautiful to look at, if that makes any sense ..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Muay Thai is the most sophisticated and well know style of the indochinese area. Countries like Laos, Cambodia, Burma,Vietnam also have similar kickboxing syles. The burmese style of Lethwei allows everything in Muay Thai plus the use of headbutts and groin kicks and is fought bare knuckle. Its about as close as it gets to a street fight for a pure striking style.
    All these styles are related to each other and use similar training methods,tactics and technique so a Muay Thai practitioner can easily fight under these rules with little to no change on a fundamental level.

whats interesting is the name indochinese.....this means, amongst other things, influenced by china. It can be legitamatly argued that chinese martial arts influenced these styles at some point. karate has a chinese influence also. I have seen it said that these styles of Indochina could be what chinese and hence japanese are refering to in many of their forms or katas, seen in a fighting context as they were meant to be. Eg..the use of elbows,knees, fist, feet, hanfighting, clinching etc etc. its the forms in action.
    So saying Karate is somehow different is nonsense. Apply karate in a fight using similar rules and it would eventualy end up looking and being virtualy the same as Lethwei and hence Muay Thai in terms of stand up fighting.

It should not be seen as ''this is Muay Thai''. It should be seen as this is what fighting evolves to become when you allow punches, kicks, elbows, knees and clinch...full contact.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then I think you need to remember that the people here have been where you are now. And think to yourself that perhaps, just maybe, they've worked out something that you haven't yet.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If you are going back that far, you might as well point out that most Chinese martial arts had roots in India, but really, while the distinction about rules dictating technique holds true, most organized karate clubs wouldn't train under Muay Thai rules.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

By jove, he's right. We're all in imminent danger of being kicked in the gonads by some crotch obsessed scally and we're completely defenceless.

Someone call the Watch!

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Hannibal I think we just won the internet. :eek:

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You don't get good at muay thai without a boatload of discipline. And if you don't find the moves beautiful, that's a judgment call. I personally do. But that aside, you said it's not JUST about fighting. But you need to remember that it is PRIMARILY about fighting. In so far that effectiveness makes sense as a first metric. Aesthetics as a second metric (if that).

You also need to remember that, when the term "martial art" was coined in the West, "art" didn't mean something that had to be aesthetic or beautiful. It was just being used as a term like "method" or "technique." The use of "art" has caused more needless debate...

That doesn't mean a martial art cannot be beautiful. But it's not, in my view, a very sensible standard by which to judge.

12. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Most styles wont as they are obsessed with being the styles that they are. Get rid of all that baggage and its just two humans fighting. Any two humans fighting under those rules often enough would eventualy come to the same conclusions.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

"most organized karate clubs wouldn't train under Muay Thai rules."

not should they. they should train under mma rules and with mma gear. too many open handed shenanigans and grabby thingies for boxing gloves.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

"When i spar at the dojo, i don't need a cup, i need a life insurance policy."

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Good honesty, you just sound very forward about it :)

Muay Thai has the cross cover. I practice the inside leg kick as a replacement for the groin kick. Cross cover defends very well against both.

The other thing you have to consider is that it is not techniques that decide how well you can fight. It's more about timing and distancing. How can you kick a groin if it's not there? These are more important than techniques :)

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

More than likely, but that isn't really something you'd want to become aware of while defending yourself in the street.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

While I'm all for learning to fight under the most open ruleset (safety allowing) I do think specialized rulesets are great at developing attributes for that. E.g. boxing, muay thai, sanda, bjj, wrestling, judo etc. are still useful as training competition rulesets.

You get quite a nice spectrum for striking with boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, sanda, and MMA with progression toward more open striking rules and inclusion of grappling. Mix sanda takedowns into Muay Thai and you have a great ruleset for training for MMA IMHO.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

"hope you got your ankles insured, because i forgot my stepladder"

/1stworldmanletproblems

19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I vote Troll as no-one can be this misguided.... So you have made an opinon based upon videos on youtube, do you have any experience in Muay Thai/Karate to make that call.

Its already been said that if you modify the angle of the inside leg kick it is basically a groin technique, a teep with the instep is a groin kick, their defence would be a simple check with the knee, only difference is they apply what they do under pressure unlike many Karate systems. It is also of note that groin attacks are overated, alot of people will shrug them off at the time only to be rolling in pain after the event, not great for you if you are banking on that to work to escape in a SD scenario....

I have never heard of Seiboken Ryo (assume you meant Ryu = School) do you have any more information on the system, I have a Karate base as my background and this is a new one on me..

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I already own it....I just allow others to play on it :D :evil: