Muay Thai in Oxford

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by cityofangels, Aug 2, 2005.

1. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

I live nowhere near oxford, but i got a friend whose moving there shortly, so i said ide have a look for a class, wondered if anyone on here knew of any?

2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

3. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

It seems there are no thai boxing clubs in Oxfordshire, according to that site. I did a search on kickboxing and it listed no clubs in Oxford itself - i am pretty sure there are at least two. Only one karate club listed as well, there are definately more.

4. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

hm, oh well, i tried, sucks for him, he shouldn't have moved :cool:

5. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

Hmm, apparently theres a club called 'Devils Muay Thai' which is in oxford somewhere (Im supposed to be fighting someone from there in a few weeks time, i'd never heard of it before that, and i've been unable to find out anything decent about them either). i'd try looking in the yellow pages for it maybe? Sorry i cant be of more help

6. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

cool, thanks, i'll tell him to look into it.

7. andy bennett

andy bennett New Member

Devils Thai

I go to that club. We are quite a small club, but very dedicated. We might have space for a couple of commited people to come along. As long as my instructor is happy to have a few more peole. If you are interested then contact me. :woo:

8. andy bennett

andy bennett New Member

Ophigue who was u ment to be fighting

9. Dempsey

Dempsey New Member

Hi,

I live in Oxford, have done boxing/kickboxing in the past, I am interested in training in a Muaythai gym. Could you please give me some information about the Devils Muay Thai Club?

10. OMAA

OMAA New Member

Muay Thai in Oxford @@@@@ OMAA Try FREE>>>>

HI,

Come to Oxford Martial Arts Academy and try a FREE class.

We have:

Muay Thai
    Roger Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts ( M.M.A.)

Check out www.OMAA.org.uk
    Tel: 01865 774 998
    Email: info@omaa.org.uk

:google:

11. Yakthai

Yakthai New Member

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I went for a look at this place....very poor level indeed. Take a look at their 'sparring' on you tube lol.

Not impressed. The thing that made me giggle was every one calling the teacher "master" lol, is that normal? I mean, not even just in the class I watched but also in the office after....lol.

13. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Lioukalt when did you go have a look? I just moved up to Oxford and am looking for places to train. Haven't been to OMAA as there are no details available about the prices but the facilities looked good. Is it really that bad? It's got a Roger Gracie brown belt teaching so I imagine the BJJ at least should be decent. Would appreciate any other details!

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I have a friend who's into BJJ and went for a look. He rated the BJJ very highly and that’s saying something as this guy is normally negative about everything.

I think you will find the price is £70+ a month.

If you want BJJ cheaper in Oxford there is a class at Brooks for £5 a time.

I only looked at the Thai Boxing, and it was a year ago or so. I still think it’s odd to be sat in an office chatting to a guy that the staff are calling master. He seemed like a nice enough guy though.

And if you are in Oxford, you have to come and spar with me....it’s the LAW!

16. CKava

Thanks for the information. I got the impression that it would be quite expensive due to the simple fact that the prices aren't listed on the site and when I called them they weren't very clear on pricing details. Anyway, I'd heard about the BJJ in Brooks but couldn't find any details that were not a couple of years out of date or mentioning that the club wasn't training. I'll have a look into it.

The thing is I was hoping to keep up the BJJ and get back to Muay Thai. But there seems to be slim pickings for both Muay Thai and BJJ except for OMAA. Can't afford £70 a month though so that is out. Looking at the website it seems like OMAA has changed it's Thai boxing instructor too as Master Alemo (sp?) doesn't seem to pop up on the website now. So I dunno if it's the same guys involved as a year ago although I thought that guy was the owner as well!

17. OxfordMuay Thai

OxfordMuay Thai New Member

OXFORD MASTER ALEMAO CAMP MUAY THAI MMA IN OXFORD

==================OXFORD MASTER ALEMAO CAMP================

================NO CONTRACT OBLIGATION=====================

=====TRAINING WITH THE REAL PROFESSIONAL CAMP IN OXFORD====

EVERYBODY FROM BIGNNERS TO PROFESSIONALS ARE WELCAME TO CAME ALONG..

<<<--DICIPLINES

>>>-MUAY THAI
    >>>-M.M.A (MIXED MARTIAL ARTS )
    >>>-BRAZILIAN JIU- JITSU
    >>>-BRAZILIAN VALE TUDO

OMAC IS THE ONLY CAMP IN OXFORD THAT CAN PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL TRAINING IN MUAY THAI AND M.M.A & BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU WITH MASTER ALEMAO.

Master Alemao:

With over 25 years experience in Muay Thai.
    Along with Over 20 Years experience in M.M.A and Brazillian Vale-tudo and over 17 years in teaching experience for Muay Thai and M.M.A

The South American professinoal Champion in Muay Thai; Master Alemao has spend almost his whole life training in Martial Arts in the best Muay Thai and M.M.A camps in Brazil and Thailand. With 25 years experience in Muay Thai, He has extensive experience to share with others who wish to learn Muay Thai and M.M.A.

+ FREE INTRODUCTION CLASS.
    + NO JOINING FEE.
    + NO CONTRACT OBLIGATION.
    + NO CONTACT TERM
    + STUDENT DISCOUNT.
    + UNBEATBLE PRICES.
    + GOOD FACILITIES.

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISITE THE WEB SITE http://www.oxmac.co.uK
    OUR CALL >>> 07885673839

18. CKava

After living in Oxford for two months and doing a bit of research here is my (outsider) impression of the local Thai boxing scene.

1. There are 2 Thai Boxing classes which currently seem to be active. One is at OMAA (Oxford Martial Arts Academy) taught by Zvonimir Boban and the other is OMAC (Oxford Master Alemao Camp) taught by Master Alemao. Links to both have already been supplied in the thread. Zvonimir Boban seems to have been primarily a kickboxer who broadened his experience to include Muay Thai by training in MMA, he has an extensive and impressive record for kickboxing which can be viewed on OMAA's website. Master Alemao by comparison seems to have been involved primarily in Muay Thai (for over 20 years) and claims an impressive Thai Boxing record of 83 wins with 3 losses by points. There are however unresolved questions currently floating around about the validity of Alemao's record. Both clubs also offer BJJ. There are also kickboxing classes run by a university kickboxing club which holds classes in the Ifley Road sport centre.

2. There seems to be a bit of a feud/squabble going on at the minute between Master Alemao and OMAA. Alemao used to teach at OMAA but for whatever reason he's not any more and as a result he has now set up another class called OMAC. I don't know if Alemao originally had anything to do with deciding on the OMAA name but by deciding to name his club OMAC it is likely it will be confused with OMAA. I would have picked a different name if I wanted to limit hassle/confusion.

3. Master Alemao is generally noted to be a nice and enthusiastic guy who definitely has knowledge of Muay Thai. There are however questions regarding his claims of being a BJJ black belt and his reported fight record/championship status. Ex-students report a low standard of BJJ and more significantly no-one seems to be able to get an answer on who awarded Alemao his BJJ black belt. There also seems to be little reliable information available regarding his professional MMA and Thai Boxing record- just current students saying they are satisfied with the proof they received.

There is a thread over on EFN sports discussing this:
    http://www.efnsports.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=aa5d30e9b4af0d746ae1b5a5ae2b3ca1&topic=7834.75

As for OMAA they have a Roger Gracie brown belt teaching BJJ who is, by all accounts, excellent.

3. Master Alemao and OMAA both have a bunch of quite passionate supporters online. However, perhaps understandably Alemao's students tend to react quite defensively to questions about their instructors credentials but despite such reactions it seems that there are have still been no real answers provided to the questions/concerns raised.

So that's my impression of the overall goings ons and I have to say that all the general controversy has put me off. I don't want to pay £70 for OMAA and I don't want to get involved with a feuding splinter group with an instructor who has questions about his credentials which remain unanswered.

I am sure that both groups are full of nice people and both train hard but it all sounds a bit too dramatic at the minute. Though as I stated at the beginning it is worth remembering that I am coming at this as an outsider as I have not visited either club so my impressions are purely based on secondhand information. I'm training at the uni Judo club at present which only costs £5 a month and which is generally sans any drama/hassle.

Finally, if Oxford Muay Thai (above) knows the answers to the following questions I think it would help resolve a number of concerns and aid anyone who does a search in the future:

"1. Who awarded "Master" Alemao/Luciano Pereira his black belt in BJJ?
    2. Which specific Muay Thai championship belts does he hold? From when and where?"

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  19. CKava

OxfordMuay Thai the following is worth noting:

3.1 General advertising guidelines
    MAP has a NO free advertising policy. This includes goods or services for sale, the promotion of discussion forums, message boards, chat sites, commercial businesses & services.
    3.1.1 You may publicise your club websites discreetly in your signature. You may however post a direct link to an outside site given that the information is RELEVANT to a question someone else has requested, or you believe it will be helpful to others. Sneaky advertising will not be tolerated.

Posting up the information from the website doesn't really help anything as the website provides none of the answers people are asking for. They know the claims, they are asking for the details.

20. chokeout

chokeout New Member

Ckava i am not sure were you are geting your info from, i think there is a slight canfusion regarding OMAA's prices .

Firstly i train in omaa, both muay thai and BJJ I have been there from the start till now........

They tend not to advertise their prices as it is too canfusing and may put people off.

I was told by the omaa staff that if i pay 70 pounds i can train Unlimited number of times a week, this does not mean it is the only option awailabel.

From what i picked up there are prices from £25 upwards deepending on the number of times you come and what times you pick.

There are alot of big names coming for seminars and teaching hear, names that have a clear record which can be traced.

Also to everyone in this forume who wishes to test or chalange the muay thai or BJJ offered in OMAA, then feel free to come down and have a freindly spar..

I am sure that no profesional puts ******** on the forume claiming that they submited erveryone in the muay thai class and the muay thai 'Master' ......So it must be some unhapy kid.....

whats regarding Calling your instructor Master is a differnt story...... If you finish the highest degree in academics you get caled a Doctor..

If you dedicate your whole life to Mauy thai you become a master.... or in Bjj you get a red belt. It is then respectfull for your students to call you master... inside and outside the training.

I love training hear because i know that i am getting the best from my BJJ (Roger Gracie) and at the moment the best of Muay thai (Boban and Wisnton Fraser the undisputed british muay thai champion) and i am happy to pay for my facilites and the level of training.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009