MTV2, Final Fu... make what you want of it

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ThaiBxr, Oct 7, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah really theres more than a few of them too

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

She didn't make the cut.

Jessica made it out of this set of competitors.

I'm hoping Gemma Nguyen will be in the next.

3. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

A strike to the eyes, headbutting, fish hooking, groin striking, those are all unsportsman conduct like within the realm of combat sports. A strike to the head is natural and fair. This contest is outlawing something that has a history and is one of the most fundamental aspects of all unarmed combat. Furthermore DROPPING your hands is the absolute WORST habbit in all of unarmed combat. The guy who got punched in the throat should learn to tuck his chin.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

While you may be correct in the larger picture, the fact of the matter is that this is point sparring under a very specific set of rules. And the fact of the matter is that those rules specifically prohibit head shots, and most certainly prohibit shots to the throat. We can argue or debate all we want about whether we LIKE the rules, but the reality is that, like it or not, those ARE the rules. And Brian W knew the rules, lost control, and whether or not we like Matt Mullins, Brain W screwed up. His profile at MTV2 even notes that due to his behaviour he got DQ'd at a major tourney a few years ago.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

ah ok....

... so you're hooked too ;)

6. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

I suppose I see your point, it simply makes me frustrated that this show is labled as the show about "Traditional Martial Arts". The idea of point sparring is quite modern and quite absurd in my opinion. Brian W seems like he should learn to kickbox and go fight in a place where his aggressive style of fighting is allowed. Other than that the show is surprisingly pathetic, but when I do watch, I do it out of sheer curiosity. I now understand why angry women listen to Tom Lykus.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  7. Kenpo_Master

Kenpo_Master New Member

Yea the show looks lame

It looks like all Tai Kwan Do really....I think it is a mockery of martial art shows every where

8. MadMonk108

Learn to spell, Kenpo Master.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey MM ... Gemma is on this week ;)

And so are a few KF contestants like Jabari ( :love: gotta tell wer about this one :love: ) who does Kempo KF.

I haven't seen the episode but there is a Hung Gar guy named Jackson who looks alot like Nick Lachey :D

... oh and the Karate twins are on as well this week

10. MadMonk108

*Does the TKD Dance of Joy...*

I remember seeing her compete when she was like...12...

She's grown up into an...amazing TKD forms person...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

won't be long I'm sure until there is a pic of her in the Babes thread ;)

She is rather short isn't she .... should be interesting to watch how she fairs in this "competition"

12. Zentenk

Zentenk Valued Member

Ugh, Just went to TKD this week and I heard way too much "Watch Final Fu, did you watch Final Fu?" Also one of the instructing black belts signed an application for it, he is cool and I wish him the best, he has gotten trophy's and I guess been pretty good at some WTF TKD competitions. I wouldn't mind winning 25k for hitting like a pansy and doing weak obsticle courses. If he does get chosen to go I will tell him just punch as fast as possible. 20 punches is 40 pts. it uses less energy so that is more efficient, it is also quicker, makes no sense to do any kicks unless they were 5 points or higher. Also get me Whitney's number... ;)

13. MadMonk108

Working on it.

Yeah, we'll see. Only one female from the last round made it.

14. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

finally! I've been waiting for someone else to say that :D

btw i do find the site to be just pathetic.

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

16. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

gay.

Totally queer. This show sucks. None of these people are even that good. Lame martial artists with decent athletic ability compared to most of my fat country. None of these guys would last against any serious Fighter. The fighting is a joke, they dont allow head strikes, and it's pathetic. Totaly alienates BJJ, Sambo, Judo, and any form of wrestling. Plus from the episode i saw they put a guy and a girl in the ring. Basicly he won because he was a man.
    Wow beating up girls, now thats entertainment.

I hope mTV chokes.

17. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

Watch Mirko Cro Cop fight in pride(a bigger better version of UFC), he kicks alot of people in the head and get this he even punches them in the face. He does what the Final Fu pansies dream of and are to cowardly to step up and do. He learned the magical MA technique that UFC fighters seem to avoid...the SPRAWL.

18. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Not trying to overly defend the contestants on FINAL FU, but under the conditions and rules of the show, I wonder how someone like Cro Cop (or any top NHB fighter) would do? Whatever the game you've decided to play is, you play that game by the rules you are given and do the best you can with it. Let's face it, with these rules, you do what you can.

From what I saw of tonight's episode, Jackson displayed decent (to good) technique and strategy. If I were fighting someone that I had so much of a size/strength advantage over and could be so easily disqualified for excessive contact if I went ANYWHERE NEAR my normal levels with, I would not be fighting anywhere near my best. (Oops, I guess that's why I don't point spar. Even the VAST majority of heavyweight male point fighters are to me like that girl was to him. This may sound like I'm being a cocky egomaniac, but I'm really trying to make a point.) Compound the lack of gender and weight classes to the ban on hard contact and you end up with what could be at least decent fighters who end up looking like the contestants on FF.

I really doubt that any of the contestants came on to the show with a lot of prep for the rules and conditions that they are experiencing on the show. Put a Cro Cop or Fedor in there and see how "impressive" they would look under these conditions. "Remember Fedor, you can't hit too hard, you can only use these techniques to these scoring areas and by the way, your next opponent is Gemma. She's only 4'8" and you will get DQ'ed if you hit her too hard (which for you is trying hard not to let her run into your taps)".

I train and teach MMA and IMO it IS the highest level of martial sport, but it's not for everyone. I believe that kickboxing, submission grappling, boxing, ect. all have their place and values as martial sports. Even point sparring has it's place (as long as competitors don't develop too many bad habits by tying to specialize towards it). Not everyone is going to have the athleticism (or desire) to compete at a high level in NHB or even some of the other full contact martial sports. This does not mean that they are not good martial artists or even worthy champions at their particular martial sport. By the same token, someone of my size and strength (or many NHB heavyweights) would have to "dumb down" our fight game tremendously to not get DQ'ed in point sparring. Even those who are very fast and explosive (which is the main criteria in point sparring)would have to pull their attacks so much and hesitate so much to keep from breaking their opponents, that their performance would likely be less than stellar.

19. MadMonk108

Uh....yeah...it's called ground "FIGHTING"...something MAists have been doing for millenia...

20. MadMonk108

Great. Now there are two people to share in your fantasies.

Which site?