moving to uni soon, any clubs near keele?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ghoul, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

i am nearing the end of my A-level studies, and am going to be looking forward to heading of to Keele university in september/october.
    at the moment i am studynig choi-qwang-do and seven star praying mantis kung-fu. i want to continue studing martial arts whul at university but have had little luck finding clubs in the local area. unifortunatly its to far away for me to get a lift up there to look around the town (i dident see any when i was up there at an open day). the closest big town is stoke-on-trent, i was wondering if anyone on here is from that area, or even from Keele university.
    i know that the university has a ju jitsu club and a karate club but despite e-mailing the athletics union i havent been able to get any infomation on these clubs, or contact infomation from there teachers. but i was really looking to continue with some form of kung-fu though accept that due to the abscurity of the universities location this might not be possible.

would be great to hear from people in the same boat as me uni wise, and anyone with infomation on the local clubs.

2. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Hi Ghoul,

I live and train in Stoke on Trent and you are lucky enough to have everything that you could possibly imagine within a 10 mile radius of Keele University, off the top of my head you have:

Karate styles, lots of.
    Lau Gar Kung Fu.
    Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Thai Boxing.
    WKA Full Contact Kickboxing.
    San Shou Kickboxing.
    Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do.
    Kali.
    Silat.
    Judo.

Let me know specifically what you are looking for and I will try and locate it for you.

P.S. I train at Impact Martial Arts Academy where I train in JKD, Kali & Silat and I can highly recommend the standard of instructorship there.

If you are interested in Lau Gar Kung Fu there is a part time club in the Westlands approx 2 mile away from Keele, I think Derek Matthews is the instructor, he does have a website not sure of the address with out searching for it.

3. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

this is very good news indeed, i'll have a think about that one, due to being at uni i doupt i'll have enough money to do everything on that list, when i get there i think i'll have to try out everything thats on offer and see what suits me, though my thoughts are split 3 ways at the moment, between trying somthing full contact (i havent done real full contact before) or kali or continuing with more traditional chinese martial arts. but it is very good to know that there is choice, once i've had a think i may reply agian or PM for specific club names, info, etc

thanks loads

4. old timer

You are very welcome, we are here to help.

5. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

subliminal message to follow

try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali,try the Kali, try the Kali, try the Kali.

:p

6. old timer

I nearly forgot, there is also a MMA school called Gladiator Gym, the guy who runs it is called Ross Pointon, I have never met him but he has appeared in our local paper quite a few times after winning various titles.

7. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i go to keele university actually. im in my third year so will be leaving in a month or so so will never actually get to meet you but dont dispair there are some good clubs in the area! i do thai boxing under keith grainger who is an excellent teacher (the information for which i can PM you if you want). i have also trained under ross pointin the MMA instructor who old timer spoke of who is also doing good things. there is a JJJ/BJJ class in st.james church in clayton (bout 30mins walk from keele) which is also top quality. however i would have to warn against the lau gar kung fu club in the westlands. i have two friends who tried it out and had nothing good to say about it- aparently very amatuer and aimed at childrens self defence rather than actual combat.

ive heard good things about the impact academy too, though i dont have time to train another art.

oh and dont do anything at keele university. they do TKD, Karate, and something else and they all A) suck B) require you to join th AU at £10 a year on top of you class fee's and C) are taught by students not proper teachers. i thoroughly reccomend either the impact academy, st.james BJJ, or if you want MMA ross pointin's gladiator gym (though that is a reasonable bus journey from keele- 60 mins proabably). oh and of course you could train with me and my muay thai buddies if you fancy a challenge ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  8. ateasdale

ateasdale New Member

Hey guys I am going to Keele as well and was wondering where exactly this gladiator gym is as I cannot find their official website. CHeers

9. crazyhands

crazyhands New Member

any wing chun schools?

10. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Could try HERE maybe?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Holy thread necro batman!

12. old timer

This is an old thread from 2005 but yes there are 3 places to practice Wing Chun in Stoke on Trent.

For the last 2 years I have trained in Wing Chun in Hanley under Simon Bedford who is part of Michael Tse's Tse Qigong Centre, there is also a club at the Michelin Athletic Club, part of Stafford wing tyun and there is a third club not worth a mention.

There are websites if you search but I am not sure if I am allowed to post website address's.

What I like about Simon Bedfords class is it is very casual and relaxed, no gradings and taught the old fashioned way as Ip Man taught Ip Chun who in turn taught Michael Tse.

13. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

is the third club not worth a mention in Goldenhill?

14. old timer

There's also a fourth club, it would not be fair to mention the club with the poor reputation, if people want to train there ... its up to them to research what is good and what is bad.

15. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Hi I am interested in joining Impact Martial Arts for BJJ and possibly JKD. Where can I find out more info please?

16. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Impact or St James for BJJ?