“Moving Isometric Sit-Up”

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Greetings!, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

“Moving Isometric Sit-Up”: Your partner is moving you (rolling you) while your abdominal muscles maintain a static position.

Greetings everyone!

Some time ago, I once had the pleasure of experiencing the following abdominal exercise and found that it was extremely difficult. Thus, it was an awesome abdominal exercise. I’ll describe it as best as I can recall. It was many years ago when another person and I were together reading about an article about the following abdominal exercise in some health publication that I can’t recall. Within the article, I believe this abdominal exercise was referred to as an “isometric sit up”, but I may be mistaken. I am paraphrasing the following description of this exercise as best as I can recall, below, in bold.:

One person, which I will refer to as “the first person”, lies on the floor. This individual will be the one performing this abdominal exercise. With his fingers interlaced behind his head, the first person bends his knees, thus, bringing his feet in the air. He touches his elbow to his knees and continues to keep them in contact together throughout the range of this exercise. The second person grabs the first person’s feet or ankles and has the intention of pulling them in a combination of the two following trajectories.:

1. Having the intention of taking the feet downward toward the floor.
    2. At the same time of having the intention of pulling the feet outward as if wanting to extend (unbend) the leg.

While the second person has the above intentions, since the first person continues to maintain contact between his elbows and knees, thus, the first person will, subsequently, as a result, roll along the floor so that he is beginning to roll upward away from the floor, starting from his head beginning to leave the floor, followed by his back, which will also ultimately come away from the floor. The first person’s pelvis will still continue to remain on the floor. This is the first half of the exercise. Then, the second person who is still holding the first person’s feet or ankles, will gradually lower the first person back to the floor to the original starting position.

After the two of us read this description together, we were able to do it for each other. Since that day, apparently, I have never been able to adequately describe it to another person. Any other person who I have asked to assist me with this, apparently, doesn’t hold my ankles or feet appropriately, nor do they seem be able to move me in the correct trajectory. Thus, whenever I ask someone else to assist me doing this exercise, it is never successful. This is not surprising since I remember when I read the original description for it many years ago, the article stated words to the effect of how you may find this frustrating to convey to other people, and may even result in the two of you becoming angry with one another. :D

I have attempted to do key word searches on words, as well as various combinations, on Google and www.youtube.com , such as:

“isometric sit up”, “isometric sit up with partner”, “moving isometric sit up”, etc.

However, I don’t find anything relevant to what I have attempted to describe.

Can someone perhaps provide me the exact verbiage in order to accurately describe this exercise to another person? Or, even better, perhaps someone knows of a link (URL address) where this exercise is described, or that even has some pictures? Perhaps you may even know of a video on www.youtube.com with someone demonstrating this?

Thank you very much for any help.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

2. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

"Moving Isometric Sit-Up" with a Partner Moving You

Greetings again everyone! Not receiving any responses to my original request for information about 4 days ago, I therefore am submitting this new thread as a simplified version of my previous post.

I am looking for a possible link to a video (perhaps on YouTube?) that demonstrates the fantastic abdominal exercise, which I arbitrarily decided to call, "'Moving Isometric Sit-Up' with a Partner Moving You", per its description below.:

Your partner is moving (rolling) you, by grasping onto your feet, in the direction of "north and south" (as opposed to rolling you sideways or "east and west") with the given constraint that your elbows remain in contact with your knees the whole time. This assures that your abdominal muscles maintain a relatively static position.

To elaborate more on what I mean in the above:

One person, which I will refer to as "the first person", lies on the floor. This individual will be the one performing this abdominal exercise. With his fingers interlaced behind his head, the first person bends his knees, thus, bringing his feet in the air. He touches his elbows to his knees and continues to keep them in contact together throughout the range of this exercise. The second person grabs the first person's feet or ankles and, in one movement, has the intention of pulling the first person's feet in a combination of the two following trajectories.:

1. Having the intention of taking the feet downward toward the floor, while at the same time ...
    2. Having the intention of pulling the feet outward as if wanting to extend (unbend) the leg.

While the second person simultaneously has the two above intentions, since the first person insists upon maintaining contact between his elbows and knees, thus, the first person will, subsequently, as a result, roll along the floor so that he is beginning to roll upward away from the floor, starting with his head beginning to leave the floor, followed by his back, which will also ultimately come away from the floor. The first person's pelvis will still continue to remain on the floor. This is the first half of the exercise (the concentric phase). Then, the second person who is still holding the first person's feet or ankles, will gradually lower the first person back to the floor to the original starting position (the eccentric phase).

I have attempted to do key word searches on certain words, as well as various combinations, on Google and YouTube, such as:

"isometric sit up", "isometric sit up with partner", "moving isometric sit up", etc.

However, I don't find anything relevant to what I have attempted to describe above.

Therefore, does someone already know of a publication of where this exercise is more formally documented, as opposed to what I have articulated above? Even better, does someone know of the existence of a video demonstrating this on YouTube or perhaps somewhere else?

Thank you very much.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Please do not post the same question across multiple threads.
    Threads merged.