Moving in "true time" (vs "false time")

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Morik, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I just came across this video:

I haven't heard these terms or really thought much about hand/body/foot movement speeds, and found this interesting.

I'm curious how it would apply to unarmed martial arts. I feel like I'm generally moving in "false time" by their definition--I step (if needed), and then launch the strike after the step is already underway, I think. I may do it simultaneously, but I'm pretty sure I never launch the arm first, then step.

Have others heard the terms "true time" and "false time" before? What are your thoughts on this in application to unarmed arts?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It doesn't translate well at all because there is not any intrinsic damage with the tool being deployed

Similarly kali does not use "true time" in the same way HEMA does. When Langenschwert taught some HEMA at my school i had a dickens of a time adjusting my timing!

3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

So basically the strike power trade-off isn't worth it when unarmed because your hands/feet don't do damage without good force behind them, unlike a sharp blade?

4. Hannibal

Pretty much yes

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

"Have others heard the terms "true time" and "false time" before? What are your thoughts on this in application to unarmed arts?"
    It's from George Silver's Brief Instructions on my Paradoxes of Defence

6. Hannibal

Hip then fist...

Hip then fist...

Hip then fist...

Dead_pool, axelb and ned like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In Peter Consterdine's case it's now replacement hip then fist. :)

Dead_pool, axelb and Hannibal like this.
  8. Hannibal

Harsh yet fair!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's accurate! He's had a new hip in the last few months.

Van Zandt and Hannibal like this.
  10. Hannibal

I heard...maybe "triple hip" now? :)

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Only one? Amateur. :cool:

axelb likes this.
  12. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

try using false time with a set-up jab, and see if it lands.

most good and experienced fighters are sensitive to weight shifting cues from largo (long range, i.e. kicking or lunging range) and using false time, unarmed or not, gives out those cues.

unarmed, doesn't deal much damage but helps increase hit percentage (reduces some telegraphing of body parts), but the false time-true time dichotomy is somewhat useless in the hook/clinch/grapple range.

this 'time' business, btw, is the source of ridicule for many "traditional" MA which employs techniques/defenses with the enemy starting off with a "lunge punch" aka tsuki. when they start off from far away (nearly two lunges worth) moving the foot first is a sure give-away of the intent to attack. that's why during prizefighting (boxing/MMA) you see many participants hanging around within the lunge/jab range (sometimes they hang around a range too close for comfort, especially the non-experts) and not from the step-in/passade range.