Movies you enjoyed, but would never recommend

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Donn1e, Jan 9, 2014.

1. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

I'm gonna watch it - I could do with a good :cry:

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I couldn't get past Return of the X-Iron-Man: The Rejuvenation. Part B a to be honest.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Loren Avedon is definitely the sort of thing I enjoy but wouldn't dream of recommending. No Retreat, No Surrender being another prime example.

4. EdScissorhands

The second one?

I think I had it playing one time, but it was dreadful.

I gave the third one a chance. It certainly fell far short of the credits.

5. Bozza Bostik

I haven't seen any of them.

6. EdScissorhands

In the context of the thread, I feel I may recommend the first one to you, because it is a good movie that I wouldn't normally recommend. The other 2 are absolutely, shockingly, dreadful!

7. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Pacific Rim,

Enjoyed because the 3d was good but the film is terrible.

Baza

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I didn't think the movie was terrible, but I can understand that.

Ender's Game. It was rushed. Very shallow, and from what I understand took a lot out from the books and didn't explain things properly...

But overall. I enjoyed it.

9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Still one of the Prides of my DVD collection, along with "Howard the Duck" and "Hawk the Slayer"

Travess

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

oh, has anyone mentioned robo geisha yet? or tokyo gore police? if not, those were awesome :D (but not the sort of thing one just recommends to people outside of practical jokes)

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Tokyo gore police, oh the cheese.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Alright. Finally, a place where my films-watched belongs...

In no particular order:

Π - already mentioned. Masterfully done, engrossing

1984 - with Richard Burton, John Hurt and Suzanna Hamilton :love:

[​IMG]

Tumbledown - A BBC produced television film staring Colin Firth. Im usually not one for 'anti-war' films but this one had much going for it – it did show some of the realities vs the cartoon images that we are so often inundated with.

Excellent performance by Firth. Instead of the usual film clip or movie pose, I've decided to include a link to a fairly recent Daily Mail article on the real Robert Lawrence – the Scots Guard officer portrayed in the film.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rs-ago-heroic-officer-wife-say-scars-day.html

This Is England - 2006 Absolutely loved this little film. Set in the era of the Falklands War and Thatcherism, it tells the tale of a boy who's lost his father to the war.

Joseph Gilgun's role as 'Woody' is the best part of the film. There were 'Woody''s in my life and I remember them with the same awe him as Shaun does the Gilgun character in the film.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Goy1B9GP0"]This Is England Shaun Meets the skinheads - YouTube[/ame]

Book of Days (1988) An experimental art film unfortunately, is now out of print. I saw this in my teens, came across it by pure accident and though I've never managed to see it again, something of it embedded itself in my subconscious to this day... the clip shown I recall well, comes at the end of the film. I think it to represent the ancient depiction of the Apocalypse

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMFLct2laqw"]Meredith Monk - Book of Days (1988) - YouTube[/ame]

Enter the Void - I can't watch this too often because of one particular scene – it haunts my dreams because I know, or I think I know, that during death, we return to traumatic episodes that have occurred in our life, again and again and again and our death blends with these events seamlessly... In the protagonists life, this traumatic event took the form of a horrific motorcar crash that killed his parents but left he and his sister alive in the back seat...

I am compelled by this film, but it isn't a film that should be viewed by those suffering from certain neurological conditions such as epilepsy – any form – grande, petite, etc., migraines , associated motor-tics, anxiety and panic conditions, those who take certain prescription medicines that have a known risk of serotonin syndrome, medicines that are used to control psychiatric disorders – Risperadone, for example and those who've had traumatic NDE experiences.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-vtVFJWo8"]Enter the void crash - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQy3qwKYgIo"]ENTER THE VOID (death scene) - YouTube[/ame]

Since my 'Dinner and a Movie for One' list has taken the crossroad to the inevitable road to the NDE, I know its time to leave it here before we plunge down a path whence there is no return.

Unless the return takes us by fish 'n chips...I could have a go at a hearty meal by now!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  13. Bozza Bostik

Why wouldn't you recommend 1984 and This is England?

We actually had a disturbingly similar situation to This is England in my yoooth.

Have you seen This is England the TV series? Excellent stuff. Waiting for the next lot. It's set in the 90s. I'm guesing the rave scene will be a part of the series.

14. belltoller

Right...that ...maybe a call for Mod action is in order to amend part of the thread title, then?

The "Would Never Recommend" caveat is a bit Draconian, innit?

Yes, I've seen the series version...have to say the film tops it - but a matter of personal preference. :)

15. belltoller

Ahhh... someone nicked the 1984 still. I'm determined to have Suzanna on my post!

16. Bozza Bostik

I thought there was something a bit odd about your post :)

yeah, the film is better. But the scene in the TV series where Gadget is speaking in an American accent and pretending to be someone from Dynasty (Or Dallas?) with Trudy is one of the funniest things ever.

"Call me Krystle, I'll call you Blake"

Some of the girls looked great in the series...*sighs* Feathers!

17. belltoller

Well, I thought I'd test the waters with what I thought relatively generic, 'off-the-beaten-path' films.

In retrospect, glad I didn't list the true odd-balls in my collection :vanish:

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space"

Takes a very special kind to love it as I do

19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Dude, nothing wrong with these films, I haven't seen book of days but im determined to find it now.

I totally want to see what's in your movie library now.

Cult classic, I hold a very special place for cheesy B movie horrors.

Meet the feebles. :heart:

20. belltoller

I rather fancy the cheesy B sci fi s

This... is an absolute gem...LMAO

[​IMG]