movies that move you

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Then you really like the new Will Smith movie "Pursuit of Happyness."

I liked it, but I felt like there was just a little too much pursuit and not quite enough "happyness." The epilogue "slides" helped a little with there not being enough "happyness," but it just seems like they could have spent five minutes on that instead of merely 15 seconds. I'd have particularly liked to have seen the little boy get some of that "happyness."

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Have not caught that one seany. Like 'tha man' says movies can often move you and sometimes many in a different way. A good movie is Prince of Darkness, I saw it a while back and highlights corruption in the Police Department.

Personally i love a tragic movie with a happy ending.. hmm

3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

LOL!! This made me laugh, as it is spot on!

I kept thinking, "just how much can this guy take!"... the bit when his little kid drops the Captain America made me "have something in my eye" when my wife looked over and saw my eyes glazed! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Just seen Blood Diamond about Africa powerfull movie.

Carrie now that ending MOVED me .

koyo

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Mining for diamonds must be a powerfull and bloody business. Bring strong spades, there's digging to do.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

On 'Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace' when Jar Jar Binks first showed himself I was moved toward great anger. :mad:

7. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

The most recent would be Rocky Balboa. No, I'm not kidding :p

Others include:
    Braveheart
    Bangkok Dangerous
    Vanilla Sky
    The Last Samurai
    LOTR
    Hero
    The Butterfly Effect (the cinematic version not the evil Drector's Cut with an ending that couldn't move a leaf)
    Star Wars ep. 3
    Battle Royale

There are probably a few more but these ones spring instantly to mind.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Ooh yeah Vanilla Sky, that was really good.

9. Bahng Uh Ki

It was good. I find most people don't really agree with me on what the ending meant: I thought the reset button was pushed again. That movie is so complicated, you *almost* need to take notes to follow it. Rather like "Sixth Sence" I bet the director/producer felt they were REALLY obvious, when it is almost too subtle to the viewers.

I'll never be able to hear/say "Open your eyes" again without thinking about that movie.

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I dont think directors should feel the need to dumb down their ideas to make them more accesible. Film is a form of art, you wouldnt ask a famous painter to make his symbolism a bit more obvious.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Is that the remake of "Open Your Eyes"? I've only seen the older version but wasn't that impressed by the ending.

[expand=spoiler]Why did they have to turn a perfectly good psychological thriller into a Totall Recall rip-off in the last ten minutes? It totally undermined the film in my opinion[/expand]

12. Bahng Uh Ki

Vanilla Sky v Open your Eyes

Didn't see that one. Was it?

I'd seen Vanilla Sky with some really smart people, including a very movie savvy one, but even he didn't seem to see that the ending involved pushing the reset button again, even though he did have insights into other parts of the movie.

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Not sure of the title, but it was a remake of a Spanish movie, so if 'open your eyes' is in a Spanglish then yea.

Ooh ooh Rebel without a Cause was a very moving movie. He drove way too fast straight off a cliff the silly boy.

14. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Do TV shows count? Someone mentioned Fresh Prince of Bel Air so I'll nominate Futurama.....for a cartoon, that show had some seriously moving moments.

Anyone remember the episode with Fry's dog? I very rarely shed a tear during movies/TV but man was a bawling after that. Such a sad look on the way society can alienate people....the only one who waited for Fry was his dog! :cry:

But on the subject of movies, Twilight Samurai was a great one. You felt exactly like Tomoe at the end, when she started crying.....nothing seriously tragic had happened but you still felt liek crying.

And of course Seven Samurai, when Toshiro Mifune is shot (Kukuchiyo?), and gets up anyway to kill the bandit leader - proving before he dies that he had more spirit than all the samurai who refused to help the farmers.

15. Blitzfaust

Blitzfaust New Member

Man, only one person mentioned the Green Mile. I don't think I've ever seen such a moving movie. Even just that part where that little whoosey kid stomps that inmate's mouse and you can almost feel the inmate's heart break into a million pieces...damn.

And then the end of course.

16. Moosey

Yeah! That's the one I'm thinking of!

17. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

The original Vaniila Sky was called "Abre Los Ojos". It even starred Penelope Cruz.

18. Moosey

That's the one! Great film but wasn't keen on the ending.

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The Shawshank Redemption.

Will have to check out this 'Persuit of Happiness', 'tis mentioned a fair bit here..

20. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

The movie is complex but I certainly had no trouble understanding it. Granted, it requires your full attention (which I give to every film I watch) but to make it any more 'simple' would have been a cop-out.

I'm not sure how people can be confused by the ending.

SPOILER
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    David is given a choice. Continue the 'dream' in which he will believe the fabricated world inside his mind is real and he gets to be with Sophia or choose to 'wake up' and live in the real world which is now however many years later (hundreds I believe) from when he took the overdose. He chooses to 'wake up', and the very last scene of the movie is him being revived, thus ready to live in the real world which is hundreds of years later from the life he originally lived.