movies that move you

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Jan 17, 2007.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a heartless movie. You know, one that doesn't make me feel anything, but just tingles the adrenaline or the eyes a bit. Something like "Lara Croft," maybe.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a memorable story that I can talk about later, like "Star Wars" maybe.

But sometimes I want heart. I want to feel. I want something that will hit me deep in the emotions. Like, "Twighlight Samurai," maybe. Because this is a martial arts site I have to start with a martial art movie. Naturally. This one is about a widowed low-level samurai struggling to raise his daughters by himself on a very low salary. He is burdened by debt he had to borrow to give his wife a proper burial. Because he has a desk job nobody knows that he's actually a master swordfighter. All of his coworkers ridicule him for not going to the bar after work with them. Instead of having fun with them he runs home to his children every day at twighlight (hence the name "Twighlight Samurai").

And then he is asked to assassinate another master swordfighter, one who has killed the several prior would-be assassins. If he succeeds he'll get lots of money. If he does not succeed -- his children will be orphans.

It's a good movie for parents, because the focus is on his love for his children rather than on swashbuckling swordfighting. It really touched my heart.

What are some heartfelt movies that moved you?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Braveheart - Seeing William Wallace go as far as he did out of love for his country, only for it to end the way it did. I still find the final scene hard to watch.

Schindlers List - The final scene just before he has to leave:

"This car. Goeth would have bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people right there. Ten people. Ten more people. This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!"

Powerful stuff, and very moving. :cry: Knowing it was true as well...

Forrest Gump is also sad at the end.

I could go on for ages!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

The Pursuit of Happyness.... what a touching film about pursuing your dreams, no matter what life throws at you.

:cry:

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

BRAVEHEART
    Because I am a Scot.
    SEVEN SAMURAI
    Because for once the heroes were not out for revenge and epitomised what a samurai SHOULD be like.

koyo

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yep,I would certainly go with Seven Samurai, but I was also touched watching Red Beard, I think it has something to do with Mifune's portrayal of the doctor. I also found Twilight Samurai excellent.
    I was also touched watching Hana Bi ,oddly. I get a lump in my throat watching the start of Once Upon a Time in China ,where they are all doing the form on the beach.
    The most recent film that touched me was Tony Takitani- based on a story by Haruki Murakami.Not a huge amount happens,it's an incredibly simple film, but excellent,theres this huge feeling of melancholy throughout.
    And finally. spring,Summer,Autumn,Winter and ..Spring by Kim Ki-Duk was very touching- barely any speaking,but follows the lives of two monks .The cinematography is just stunning.
    I get touched by films a lot. :eek:

6. koyo

Yup Red Beard when they are crying into the well. Gets me everytime.

koyo

7. Lilika

Lilika Scientia est potentia

Roman Polanski's The Pianist is one of the best films I have ever seen and one that I think everyone should see.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Brave Heart

Ghost in the Shell

Fearless

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

aikiMac - wow, I didn't know whether to giggle or to nod at your post. A man who wants to watch drama? :D

Some of my favourites:
    1. Life is Beautiful
    2. Hurricane (Denzel Washington...brilliant)
    3. Le Choriste (French movie about a boys' orphanage)

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

" Something fo Joey"- the john cappilette story
    "a time to kill"
    " The Champ"

11. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Lily - La Vita E Bella is amazing!! great movie.

other really goods one are The Interpreter (really good), A Beautiful Mind, Big Fish

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Some other good films not yet mentioned:

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

To Live (1994) - Tremendous film from Zhang Yimou, one of my favorites

Anything by Wes Anderson, but particularly The Life Aquatic

Hero (2002)

Tokyo Story (1953)

La Strada (1954)

I could name numerous others, but I'll keep the list short.

13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Its a wonderful life - James Stewart

14. koyo

Aikimac

If you enjoyed twilight samurai check out "when the last sword is drawn" same author same director.

koyo

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Added it ^^ to my rental list.

Only sometimes, I said. ;) Balance is good. We have to feel emotions if we're to live in the company of others, and a person who learns how to cause injury should also learn how to heal injury.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

" one flew over the cocco's nest " with jack nicholson

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The Crow
    Donnie Darko
    SubUrbia
    Hero
    Chasing Amy

18. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Beyond borders starring angelina jolie (it can't be all heart guys) and clive owen (so the girls don't miss out).

Basically it's a love story set in war torn torn countries ethipoia, cambodia and checzhnia (sp) and a group of Aid workers efforts there and the things they have to resort to so as able to fund their work in helping people.

Excellent film.

And I second The pursuit of happyness watched it last night.

19. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

"We were Soldiers"-Mel Gibson

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Walt Disney's 'Aladdin'.

The ending always gets me when instead of making himself a prince (and thus being able to marry the rather fit for a cartoon Princess Jasmine), Aladdin uses this final wish to set the genie free...

:cry: