Mouthguard help and recommendations

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Latikos, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And me again...

I sidetracked my own thread already, but thought I might get a few more points of view if I start a separate thread.

And it sort of makes more sense, in case anyone has the same or a similar question.
    The threads I found about this topic are some years old by now, so maybe something changed within the time.

Anyway: I start looking for a new mouthguard.
    So far mine still works, but I have the tendency to chew on it a lot, so I think getting new ones more or less regularly is a good idea, since I'm absolutely sure, that the chewing won't stop.

At the moment I use mostly a Gel Max by Shock Doctor and the MG3 by Shield (that one I rarely use; it's the one I use if I forget the other one or left it at the dojo).

At the other thread Opro was mentioned and recommended.
    Orpo gold, to be precise.
    Which, by the way, I tried to look for on amazon and found at least half a dozen, that had "gold" in the name from Opro :oops:

Also, as a bonus question: What do you prefer and why do you prefer it - guards that protect only the upper teeth by "holding" them or the ones that "hold" both rows.
    (Sorry, for making it sound weird; I'm not sure what the correct terms are in English)

I need it for everything: Stand-up, throws, rolling.
    I'm also willing to get two, if there were some sense in getting separates for stand-up sparring and rolling.
    In the end, I would use them half the time and could wear them longer, so the costs would be the same.

I can't afford one from the dentist.
    I know, they would be ideal, but I don't have several hundred Euros unfortunately.

Thanks in advance and thanks again to those, who already answered in the other thread!

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

For boxing sparring I have a boil-and-bite Brain Pad with the Tapout logo on it. (shrug) It goes on the bottom teeth only. I don't think I'd buy it again because it just doesn't seem to quite fit right (I had trouble with the boil-and-bite fit), but it does get the job done, and it didn't cost a fortune. A hundred years ago I had a mouth guard that holds both rows, and I think I liked it better.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

An opro fitted mouth guard is approx 40 UK pounds, its likely that there is a company near you that will do a fitted mouthguard for cheaper too.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I had a quick look and the kit is available on Amazon for 30 UK pound.

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'm going this route (home impressions) for my next gummy for what it's worth, latikos.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Does either one you have a link to it?
    I'm not entirely sure what to look for, since I don't seem to find it when I look for "fitted mouthguard".
    To feel better I just pretend it's because I'm not familiar with the vocabulary regarding mouthguards and there terms ;)

Also (I know it's early to keep asking; half the people probably hadn't looked into the forum so far): Any opinions or useful informations about whether to prefer to single or double mouthguards?

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Dead_pool and Latikos like this.
  8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's personal preference for dojo use.