Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Back in the day I was one of them "bike gals" .... then came marriage & kids! ;)

Hubby is thinking about that Harley again though ... and I about getting out the black leather again ;)

Kids are growing up and the opposite is happening to us :D ;)

... not entirely a bad thing!

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Most motorcycle incidents happen as a result of other motorists not watching what they're doing. I get loads of dirty looks when I excelerat and move forward to get people off my flanks, especially if I see them yapping on a phone, eating, dealing with kids, READING!

KC - :D You go girl!!!

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  3. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Did someone ask for a pink bike?

Attached Files:

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Just look at her.

Attached Files:

5. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

How about a helmet just for you girls! :Angel:

Attached Files:

6. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

They were a weapon in their day, the begining of the sport focused Japanese sports bikes.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I had a Harley in the 1980's, they leaked oil, broke down constantly, and were a pain in the patoot to repair. I switched to Honda's. Cheaper, faster, cost less, better mileage, I can work on them myself, and they look just as good as the Harleys w/o the noise.

8. Athleng Nordic

Kwaj, HD fixed the bad bikes with leaks when they booted AMC and got thier act together. They are rated as one of the best and safest companies in the US now. The load pipes serve a purpose, keeps cars away. I tend to like that. However you have to buy those pipes and install them they don't come standard anymore. As for working on them any bike can be worked on, just like the muscle cars of old.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Honda actually engineered engine noise and vibrations into their HD competitive models. In the same vain Triumph had to fit excessively hard rear shocks on their Thunderbird model a few years ago for the American market only. This destroyed the handling, but made them more accepted by the American market that liked, and were used to the solid rear ends of some Harley’s.

10. Kwajman

No problems Nordic. I like the guys/gals who drive them. I just find the HD attitude a little bit much. You don't dare ride around Harleys with anything else. There were some "incidents" during the last anniversary here in Milwaukee.

11. Athleng Nordic

Oh "Those Kind" of HD drivers. I know what you mean there, I avoid them myself. I'm not into the Harley Mystique thing. I just love to ride and like an American made bike.

12. Kwajman

My sons keep telling me I should get a sportster or something. The smaller bikes can be had pretty inexpensively up here. Theres so many of them around. I think the last time I even drove one was about 97'.

13. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

You have all kinds riding HD’s. If your around 1%’rs, a lot of them are not tolerant of non members they don’t know, even if they ride a HD and less so in a lot of cases if they ride metric. Most of the people who ride HD’s don’t care what you ride as long as you ride.

14. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

In Australia we have a couple of types of HD riders. The first and the traditional HD rider, at least since the 1980’s anyway are those that are often classed as Outlaw Bikers. The second are middle class Baby Boomers having a midlife crisis. Which brings me to a question. Whenever I have seen my local HD riders club go on a ride, they always bring a breakdown van; surly they’re not still that unreliable? Not even my old 1978 Ducati needs one of these.

15. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Gas prices.

Date = 1/13/1997
    Belgium ~ 4.03
    France ~ 3.97
    Germany ~ 3.82
    Italy ~ 4.17
    Netherlands ~ 4.25
    U.K. ~ 3.70
    U.S. ~ 1.42

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

The good ole days. :cry:

16. Kwajman

Really, thats why I'm on my scooter or motorcycle whenever possible. A HD rider told me one way to see who has an attitude about Harleys is to see who gives you the "Harley Wave" and who doesn't. FYI, the "wave" is where you take your hand off the bars, reach down beside you at about a 45' angle away from you, and cruuuuuiiiiiiiiissse on by. We non-harley riders of course just do the head nod or a quick wave with the hand.

17. Athleng Nordic

That must be an inland thing. Never seen that before. We do the quick hand wave.

18. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

In this case the follow wagon could be for just carrying the gear on the trip so you don’t have to pack it on the bike. In some cases it could also be a war-wagon. My HD's have been reliable but I know some guys that ride a 1970 and older bike. With a bike that old you are going to have a problem every now and then.

19. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

It could be, but why have very nice sign writing telling passers but that it is the Brisbane HD Club breakdown vehicle?

20. Athleng Nordic

That's curious??? If your emmisions standards are anything like Cali, and you get those Cali special bikes, then those bikes will be prone to break down.