Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

I think doing something later is better than never! :cool:

Have you guys started your motorcycle season yet? I've driven about 100km here so far. Gotta say, as long as there is no ice on the road, it's been wonderful to start the season early! Though, car drivers aren't used to bikes being on the road this early here in the north, so got to pay a bit extra attention now.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've got a nice little off-road circuit that takes me an hour or so, I've been round that half a dozen times recently :)

Mitch

3. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Got into motocross when I was a baby. Grew up in a house of motocross enthusiasts in the northern countryside. Dad and my uncles would ride all the time. My mum would ride quads around and my and my sisters would ride on the back or on the front.

Got my first kiddy bike when I was 5. Started racing when I was 9. Been obsessed ever since.

Never ridden a road bike. Not into using them for transport funnily enough.

4. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I forgot to mention that the amount of years I've been in dirt bikes, I've never ridden a road bike.

I have never thought much of jumping 30ft off a ramp, but I've always been terrified of road bikes.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's not unusual, I know a lot of racers who pull a face when someone suggests they get a road license.

6. Inchy81

Inchy81 New Member

I ride a CBR 600, always have done since passing my test on my Diversion many moons ago...

Just had to go back to an FW from an RR to save some pennies.

7. Inchy81

Inchy81 New Member

I ride a CBR 600, always have done since passing my test on my Diversion many moons ago...

Just had to go back to an FW from an RR to save some pennies.

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I am trying to save up for a Ninja 650 as my first bike. In about a month or so I am going to get my licences so I am pretty happy about that. It's been a long struggle thinking about the risks of riding a bike since I know too many people who died riding them, but I can't let that stop me.

Attached Files:

9. holyheadjch

I wouldn't spend more than a grand on a first bike, since there's a good chance it's going to go sliding down the road at some point. There's a reason the Suzuki GS500 sells so well.

10. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Yeah, that's a good point. I know a few who crashed their bikes the first year they got them.

That GS500 looks nice actually. I might get that one or a Ninja 250. They're both under $1500.

11. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm 37 years old and from Norway. At 16 years, I coincidently ended up with a "Motron" moped; an Italian bike. Another conincidence was that the Norwegian MotoGuzzi club had an event 500 meters from where I live. As they rode Italian bikes, I thought that my Motron would be accepted, so I visited, and hung around the entire weekend, and I was sold. I love the Moto Guzzi bikes! The sound, the design and the variety of custom-bikes!

My first bike was a 1983 V 50 ( http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/218420/images/Moto_Guzzi_V50.jpg ) that I bought at 17. I then bought a 1986 Lario ( http://s3.postimage.org/a59114okf/Guzzi_Lario_red_A.jpg )

I love it and will never sell it, as I'll never get the money that it is worth to me :heart: As I say to people; it looks like a sportster, sounds like a Harley and behaves like a touring-bike :cool:

As you can see on the video here (not mine, and not my breathing), it's allso easy to maintain, easily accessible engine, etc: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hcr9Nt1tpU&feature=related"]Moto guzzi V65 Lario - YouTube[/ame]

12. Mitch

It was Hunter S Thompson's birthday yesterday, so here's his famous piece on test riding a Ducati, The Song of the Sausage Creature. "On my tombstone they will carve, 'IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME.'"

Happy birthday Hunter S.

http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

mitch

13. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

I've just got my road licence. I miss MX so much and I can't do it any more. I know road bikes are completely different, but I generally miss the feel of being on a bike. After nearly 20 years of being a semi-pro rider, I can't just retire and never get on a bike again. I miss bikes. I never wanted one before because they seem unnecessarily dangerous, but I miss the danger MX used to have, so I'm starting out with a GS500 I'm getting from a guy I used to race with.

I started a new job and I was talking to my new boss about my road licence and the bike I'm getting. He said if he knew I'd be taking a bike to work everyday that he wouldn't have hired me and that I should consider not getting it.

I've never had a job where the application form or in the interview hasn't asked me about what mode of transport I'd be using. Has anybody had problems with work because they use motorbikes?

14. holyheadjch

No, but then, I try not to work for idiots*.

*Says the former Crapita employee

15. Inchy81

Inchy81 New Member

That is absolutely ridiculous and in our pc world that we know live in, prejudiced.

Never has any of my 3 employers over the last 8 years commented on me having a bike in that kind of way (and I also work for Crapita!)

16. holyheadjch

Quit! It's the best thing I ever did.

17. koiviston55

koiviston55 New Member

They probably don't work too well in the wind

Links removed. No free advertising.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  18. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Question...the bit in the middle of the back wheel, connects to the brake-y bits (on a CBF 125 at least) what's it called? the hub? it seems to be holding the rear wheel in place so it can move around, but isn't part of it.
    Sorry for bad description, trying to work out if I will need a whole back wheel replacement or just the middle part :p

19. Mitch

This bike Rhea?

It has a drum brake, which is part of the hub of the wheel. What's the problem?

Mitch

Attached Files:

20. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

yeah that's the one. The whole thing seems to have come loose, most likely after I got an animal run into me, and after the repairs it was fine for a few weeks, then I found tonight the whole thing was loose, and after getting it back into the garage, the aluminium (or whatever) part in the centre is being made rough and sharp...looks like its had a grinder on the edge :(
    EDIT so I guess I need a whole new brake -.-

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013