Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Holy Mother of God, there are just a few riders who achieve something beyond the ordinary, beyond the incredible and who sweep into the sunset leaving the noise of a monstrous engine barely held in check, the sound of plastic on tarmac, the smell of burnt hydrocarbons and the sound of jaws hitting the floor behind them.

To quote this month's Performance Bike slightly out of context, "It's three dimensional poetry, using dead dinosaurs as raw material."

This really is poetic.

Mitch

Attached Files:

2. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

Stoner's got skillz but he's missed the apex by over an inch!

Actually it feels crap to even jest when presented with an image like that. Need a colossal "jaw-drop" smiley.

I'd quite like to be able to do this as well (in slo-mo at the end it's incredible):
    Chose McCoy as I can't find the clip of Rossi doing it in the wet (at Donny?)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1GGsxPk9Q&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Faster Gary McCoy King of Slide‬‏[/ame]

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Stoner is just ripping off Jamie Robinson:

[​IMG]

4. Mitch

Yebbut he was only copying Ruggia :p

Mitch

Attached Files:

5. Kat12

Kat12 Valued Member

I have to admit, they sort of intrigue me (fun + gas saver even though my little Civic does pretty well anyway), but I'm not convinced I wouldn't kill myself. Doesn't seem like a very forgiving vehicle? in my car if I don't see a huge pothole in time, I might say "AGH my suspension" (or at worst, "AGH my tire"), or I can swerve suddenly to avoid it, but doing so is not going to send me flying if I hit it or make me lose control if I swerve. I don't know if I trust my driving enough to ride one...I think I'd have to feel I were a near-perfect driver, who keeps my eyes on the road 100% and never gets momentarily distracted by other traffic and such, to feel confident enough.

Plus, as a beginner learning to drive a car if I screwed up the worst that happened was that I stalled out the car or took a turn too sharp and made my mom shriek. On a bike I could go skidding down the road shedding my skin at the rate of 40+ mph...ow. Since I'm not real coordinated, that could be happening to me a lot until I got the hang of it, armor or no. I'm not sure how I feel about that....

If I lived somewhere warm I might give it a shot anyway (and if my partner ever gets another bike I'll probably learn to ride it), but not in a place where I would own/be paying for a vehicle that would spend at least half the year in storage; for the hardship of the added expense I'd want to be able to use the thing any time the mood struck me rather than staring at snow and ice saying "a few more months..."

Ah, hell, let's face it guys...I'm probably just a wuss (you can say it too). My partner says it's not as hard as I think, and I suppose I can't possibly be as much of an idiot as I think I am, but I'd sure hate to find out the hard way. But I've been loving all the pictures/eyecandy anyway.

Gotta say I like some of the vintage Hondas...

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Grow a pair and start riding!! :p

And some get assless chaps while you're at it

7. Kat12

Kat12 Valued Member

But then what if I fall on my ass? :) (Skim some of the fat off, eh?)

8. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Valued Member

I've always ridden dirt, but had a few street legal bikes in my time. Because I love the dirt so much, I've always chosen the dualsport rout. Plus I don't think I could trust myself with a rice rocket. Ha ha, I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself, or others. As far as the street goes, in the past I've had a 1986 Yamaha XT350, '87 Yamaha XT600, and now a 2011 Suzuki DRZ400s, that I picked up a few weeks ago. Here are some pics!

A pic I took while signing papers:
    [​IMG]

It looking better, now that it's parked in my garage...
    [​IMG]

Pic from a trail ride I went on the other day:
    [​IMG]

So far it's been an amazing bike for me. It could use some more power, but all in all, very well rounded. 65MPG is pretty incredible, compared to my truck (10-12) Ha ha!

9. Mitch

I like the DRZ400, a mate of mine used to run an off road school that used them. I don't know if Suzuki stil do the DRZ400E rather than S? If so it had enough extra power to make it more interesting on full knobblies off road, but was visually identical so I guess they share many parts and so keep spares cheap.

Looks like you've got some nice trails to ride that kind of bike on over there, enjoy! :)

Mitch

10. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* Valued Member

Thanks Mitch! The trails around here are great. If you're a off road junkie, the Pacific NorthWest is a great place to live.

There are actually quite a few differences between the E and S models.

1. S model has a lower compression ratio, in order to make it run leaner, enabling it to run on 87 octane.

2. E model has a Keihin FCR39mm carb that dumps a lot more fuel than the S's Mikuni BSR36.

3. Different weighted flywheels, and balancing.

4. The S has the added weight of the rear pegs,blinkers, horn, ect ect.

5. The E has a more aggressive cam

The list goes on and on. The cool part is, you can bolt on all the E model parts for weight reduction, and HP gains. It's about $1500 USD worth of goodies, but well worth it.

So far I haven't been able to find any 2011 E models, but I'm positive they offer them somewhere.

11. Mitch

12. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

I have a Triumph Rocket - perfect for riding over here.

13. Mitch

That's a whole heapin' helpin' of motorsickle! :D

I've never ridden one but I'll bet it's a hoot!

Mitch

14. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

The making of the Rocket III is a stunning process . . .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEuzxC4eGc"]YouTube - ‪TRIUMPH ROCKET III - 21ST CENTURY MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURE‬‏[/ame]

15. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

Cool and fun thread. my midlife crisis ride will be a Harley, then i may join the Korea branch Booze fighters MC.

16. Mitch

And in other news, underwear sales rocket in Germany :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzJOY0nzKIw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzJOY0nzKIw[/ame]

Mitch

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

For my next bike (after my ordeal with a mobility van), I intend to purchase a Honda NXR. Which is a dual sport with a 125cc engine, a reasonable sized tank (so its economical) and can survive on both the farm and the motorway. Not only that, its the right height for me and perfect price for a student, in both purchase and maintenance. Also it comes with the word 'BROS' which where I come from, is pure win.

[​IMG]

18. azumor

azumor Valued Member

hi fouks
    I rid a suzuki rf900 and it's a blast, it's fun, it's fast and get me where i'm going. only problem is when i'm riding to the dojo with my weapon bag ( with the bo it looks like i'm going fishing with big fishingrood across my back)

I also have 2 other bikes but they need some work to be ready for a drive it's a honda rb450 and a suzuki gt 550cc from 1976 ;o)

i've been riding for 10 years now.

19. Mitch

Terrible news from MotoGP today with the death of a real rising star, Marco Simoncelli. He'd just started to show the promise that would have surely lead to race wins and, at least in my opinion, maybe a championship.

Always aggressive, always spectacular and with a larger than life presence in the paddock, MotoGP will greatly miss him.

My thoughts go to his family and friends and to Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi who were unavoidably involved in the accident.

RIP Marco.

Attached Files:

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's so tragic, but that's racing. If it wasn't dangerous, it probably wouldn't be as popular.

We should all be so lucky as to live our dreams, if only for a little while.