Mother looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ScarlettDale, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ScarlettDale

ScarlettDale New Member

Hi Guys i hope you are all fine. im Carlett and i really love martial arts. The problem im facing now is that i have 2 kids and i desperetly want to learn martial Arts. Can Any Expert here guide me that i can do or not Now . . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hi. I don't understand what having children has to do with martial arts, but step #1 is to inventory what's available near you.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A lot of it is just getting kids to be passionate about it without forcing them. Let them watch cartoons and films that are martial arts orientated (that are also child friendly). Let them admire it from a distance and if they do enjoy it let them take it at their leisure. If they take up a class but don't want to stick to it then let them do other stuff.

Also worth remembering that most kids who end up being good at something as a child rarely stick to it past puberty.

The friendliest child classes are judo and TKD. They are mutually fun and we'll run. You might find cheap boxing classes too but they can be hit and miss with regards to kids classes.

Good luck!

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I read the OP wrong.

Yeah, just see what's available in your area and whatever fits your schedule. Some places offer a kids class and am adults right after.

axelb likes this.
  5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'm hardly an expert, but I may be able to offer some advice if I could better understand your situation.

Where are you from? How old are your kids? What style of Martial Arts are you interested in learning?

In addition to what Pretty In Pink said, some places also offer Family classes where you could train with your kids.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I know where you're coming from. After most of my life doing martial arts, I wanted to focus on my family when the children came.

Getting back into it after years away posed a few issues for me; timing, location, cost.

These aren't uncommon to most prospective martial arts students regardless of kids; you need to lookup in your are whats available that fits with your family schedule.
    There are a few places that do kids and adults in the same class (within a certain age range), and others that have kids class, then adults.

This depends on how old your kids are? do you want to get them involved? If you show an interest in something, then usually your kids would also take an interest - but don't push it, only when they want to do it.

As with any club searches; expect to be able to trial a class - without obligation to sign up.
    try as many as you can that fit in with your schedule.

Flexible training times works well with my, my club has sessions throughout the morning day and evening, so even when I've had bedtime routine of hell I can get to a later class, or just go midday the next day.

You implied that you have an existing interest; is this from previous classes, or a particular style you are interested in? that may help narrow down what you're looking for.

this is very true, I sucked at martial arts as a kids :D ... (oh wait I still do :D)

Jaydub likes this.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would recommend the following:
    1. Take a look around and see what's available for schools, especially in distance, offerings, prices, schedule, etc
    2. Take a moment and figure out what you are looking for in 'martial art', e.g., self defense, fitness, fun, family activity, competition. Once you decide that, you can start contacting these schools and asking them questions to see how closely they fit with what you like
    3. See if you can do a few free classes at schools that seem to fit. If you are looking to include the kids, check how family-friendly the schools are.
    4. Then, pick the one that seems to fit the best and jump in with both feet!

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

what age ???

The best martial arts for a kid is wrestling but it has the most stress and pressure

(Mod note: posts merged into one)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
  9. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Exactly this.

Opinions are divided here what the best martial arts for kids is. I think for kids the best martial art is the one they enjoy the most, so let them try grappling and striking and then they can speak out what they like.

Thomas and Monkey_Magic like this.