Most useful grappling art?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

I know this question may start flaming wars, but I was wondering what wrestling/grappling art you believe is most useful in a real fight? I am currently taking Judo and like it a lot yet is a bit sceptical of the lack of attacks to the legs and spinelocks as well as focusing more on throws than slams, which I believe would be useful to have in a fight. Any thoughts on this? What art is in most universally useful in a fight? (apart from turkish wrestling of course, the ULTIMATE martial art :p)

2. stump

stump Supersub

BJJ
    Sambo
    Sub wrestling
    etc etc

take your pick......most of them borrow and steal off each other so there's very little difference between them as groups......of course there are better clubs within the groups but as a rule most places that teach grappling will teach similiar stuff - the intensity of training and in depth knowledge of techniques will be the differing factors

IMHO

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

SPOT ON STUMP!

These are about the best out there because they do a lot of sparing where less moves are banned and your partner resists a lot.

Still Judo is a good art so dont be put off!

4. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Aikido will be my only choice.

Why? Because it teaches throws and takedowns by using the momentum generated by an opponent throwing a punch or kick, unlike in Judo.

Because of the fourcorner principle in Aiki, a practitioner with good sabaki movement will be able to pull off throws on multiple opponents, eg throws into another attackers path with shihonage.

A good aikido practitioner will not be thrown by a judoka.

Just kidding! Seriously, Judo is an excellent grappling art. Personally, I look at it as a method of training takedowns. The base and awareness you get from Judo training has helped my BJJ game indefinitely. In vale-tudo, I still work a much tighter clinch of course(a neccesity when strikes are in the picture). There is a reason why Mario Sperry and other BJJ black belts have black belts in Judo too!

5. Sonshu

Mild

All grappling arts use the same principles but Aikido is one of the least effective in my views and I have not found it strong when I have done it.

6. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

man, you got to read my whole post!

aikido is a fine art. But from my experience I still say that it is something I will leave to those more interested in learning a beautiful art form and meditation.

theory is theory. In practice, I have never met an aikidoka who could throw me for real.

7. stump

stump Supersub

HOw does aikido deal with an oponent clinching ad kneeing them???

8. Jay

Jay New Member

LOL .. mild7 - u had me going for minute then ! :D

9. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

stump my friend,

aikido is EXTREMELY effective for opponents who clinch and knee. The key is, to not allow the clinch at all!!
    O'sensei Ueshiba always talked about tai sabaki, irimi etc... that is, movement! A good aikidoka will not be caught in a clinch. it is that simple.

man, i wonder how many people actually read the whole of my first post.... :

10. Sonshu

Mild 7

I have done Aikido and trained with a lot of good Aikido practioners. I honestly dont think its the art for clinch work of to defend against knees - as your answer is dont get caught in it.

Now problem is - in MMA all the people who did striking arts I am sure all said that Royce Gracie would not take them down - they were all wrong.

IMO Aikido needs more to be added to is as its a defencive art that relies on the opponenet offering an attack to you - better to attack first. It has no kicks ???? and does not tradionaly cover any floor work or clinch work. The attacks you defend against are all to obvious - hammer strike, hook, lapel grab or general charge etc.

What happens if you are taken down or do not have room to move and twist. The art does not breed fighters as such and hence people can grab you and you not evade it.

Your Views on this?

11. stump

stump Supersub

Aikido would never get caught in a clinch?????

that smacks of the ostrich philosophy.......burying your head in the sand!!!

do you thinknany aikidoka wouuld step up against a good thai boxer or MMA fighter to test this???

No "my techniques are too deadly" stuff....no "we don't compete" stuff.....just a basic pressure testing situation to see if an aikidoka can be caught and kneed.

Or is the truth they don't have a real answer to the situation?

12. Sonshu

Easy stump

Dont go too hard on the guy!

He did say he was slightly off the mark with his first quote - TOUGH DAY IN THE OFFICE WAS IT?
    :D

13. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Read mild7's first post guys, he was taking the mick and never meant Aikido was the best grappling art. Chill guys, he agrees with you.

Even I got what he was trying to say and I miss things all the time.

14. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

LOL at all this!!

I never thought my aikido thing would be taken seriously by anyone :p

anyway, just to keep the ball rolling, Aikido is the bestest! and steven seagal would destroy Royce Gracie, because his ki would prevent any takedowns from happening.

15. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I would go for jujitsu and wrestling

16. Jay

Jay New Member

Steven Seagel got choked out by Gene LeBell on the set of one of his movies and made a wee wee in his pants ( allegedly )

Did I go of the thread for a minute then ?? :D

17. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I heard that too :D

18. Sonshu

Trouble is everyone

heard it and I am not so sure if its fact or fiction?

19. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I want to believe it, so I will! :p

20. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Well even if it is'nt true, it is what would happen IF Lebell fought with Seagull.

Heck, even I could probably give Seagull sensei a run for his money. He's a little bit big though, especially in the state he's in now.