Most Senior?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by puma, Jun 5, 2009.

1. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

You just cant see it can you lol, its amazing to me! Anyone, ANYONE who had done even a small amount of non compliant work can see that this video is just stupid......at best you are just naive.

2. puma

puma Valued Member

Does everyone on here do Tai Chi?

This is probably why I get so confused about what Tai Chi is all about. I have been on other forums also, asking questions. What I find is someone either tries to baffle me with wierd names and terms that don't really mean anything, trying to look like they are answering my question while avoiding it, or everyone starts arguing with each other. It makes me wonder if anyone really does know Tai Chi. Is anyone on here a Tai Chi instructor? Who has the most experience? Maybe the most experienced could settle some things on here, give us some definite answers?

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I have been teaching for a while, but will always consider myself a beginner
    as there is so much to learn from so many. :)

No idea who has the most experience, mind you, experience does not equate to knowledge.

4. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Yeah! I'm Qualified up to level 6 in taiji, There are 9 levels in our system.
    Taiji has more B.S. in it then any other art there is. Almost all taiji players are wrong. Out of millions of people doing it only a handful of people get it. That's why there is so much arguing. Here's the problem. People find what they personally think it is and they get stuck there. So that's what they end with,no matter how long they train.
    Some people think it's like sumo wresting (and it is)
    Some people think it's, Lead them into emptiness (and it is)
    some people think it's the form (and it is)
    some people think it's the philosophies behind the art that guides your actions. (and it is)
    It's all of them and more. There is no end answer.
    Just do it. find something that works for you and never put a limit on what you think other people can do. You'll be wrong every-time.
    peace

5. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Tai Chi is a big term that covers a geart deal of ground and in the end you can only really know your own Tai Chi. I'v been with the same teacher for around 20 years and I'm sure that my experiance of Tai Chi is differant to his, as it should be.

What do you need settled?
    Try askin specific narrow questions that are not open to deviation into BS.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just to clear things up, this is the "real" taiji:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHYN8th1s4"]YouTube - NAM WAH PAI no 17[/ame]

:D

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nah.. i don't think I'm the one missing the point.

Who said that, and even IF I thought that (or said it..) it would still be irrelivent.

LOL.. Can you read ?

Nah.. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING.

For real attacks, from trained people - I DEFINITELY could show something MORE USEFULl for self defence than what is shown on that clip, but as we know "better" can be rather subjective sometimes, maybe moreso in tcc than other self defence/combat martial arts. And no that doesn't make me better than this or that person.

I can see that clip for what it is, rather than some fantasy and I can appreciate the skill and movement he shows in those kind of drills. Sure he's better than me and far more experienced - no problem with that. So what?

Why not just read what I've actually said, than you wouldn't have to make stuff up, embelish or ask me dumb questions.

your answer is NO!

I find responses that are more useful to me against better trained attacks than those. So it's a pretty useless comparison to "my taiji".

And that's been one of the points i have been trying to get across. That if comparisons have to be made then they have to be like for like. Otherwise they mean nothing. Which is why the clips you've posted and the comments with them have only served to confuse people and de rail the thread.

Without clips to back up your talk you're just spouting theory and fantasy.

Sometimes that point just seems wasted on you.

And to finish you want to see how Sam Masich fought against a serious attacker. Funny how he doesn't do anything that resembles anything you posted in your clip.

Now I suppose which one of these two clips best represent Sam Masichs' actual combat tai chi. The one against stupid one step un skilled attacks with no resistence or this one against another similarly skilled guy trying to actually for real hit and throw whilst not being hit or thrown.

Have a good think about it will ya, before you spout anymore BS here amigo.

Here's a younger Sam Masich fighting from around 1.10 on, against the guy in blue. He does well against him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4YKgNpyBc"]YouTube - Tai Chi Fighting Tournament - 1988[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Well good morning to you too cloudzzy!

They have probably came a long way since then. That clip i put up was impressive. I could go to a school and bring more effective stuff as well.
    so what.
    That's not the point "I already have that" I want more. I want those coils he's using. although I already have some of that,but mines different.
    Now you see that wasn't so bad,I didn't even let you **** me off with all those insults.
    Have a good day grasshopper.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No insults there, that's why. Your previous post to me was pure nonsense and you know it.

The clip showed descent first contact, movement and control in a very limited scenario - no follow up or anything. And against weak, rubbish one step attacks showing no resistence or any initiative to make a follow up.. I have no doubt he could put out something better if he wanted to..

You're just too easily impressed, that's all.

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Or maybe "they" understand the difference between limited technique training / demonstration and between realistic combat training and fighting.

And you don't.

11. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

HA,HA,HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was doing taiji in the park yesterday right across the street from a MMA school, LOOKED WEAK!! LOL:bang:

But you know what I was having a good time,you know why?:) I'm loaded with JUJITSU!!!:hat: HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm happy for you.

At least then you should be able to tell the difference between bjj 'rolling' and specific technique training/demonstration. Whilst at the same time not being able to do the same for Tai chi chuan, which you've persistently demonstrated here.

13. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Don't underestimate me cloudz.
    Oh by the way you were wrong. The strongest mind don't win. It's "NO MIND"

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm not entirely sure what you could mean by that.. But if I'm reading you right, as a rule I treat everyone as highly dangerous, especially women and dwarves.

:rolleyes:

But anyway, I'd like to ask you who you learnt ju jutsu from, whether it is/was Japanese Ju jutsu or Brazilian. If Brazilian was it at an MMA gym or at a BJJ Academy?

I am interested as i crosstrain in a little bjj myself now and again, and as I've never seen you posting on that forum, so I'm just a little curious about it.

If I am estimating you in any way - I am just giving my honest thoughts on what you post here. That's it. You could be a badass streetfughter or a UFC champ, it makes no difference to me. i'll still just continue to give my honest appraisal and opinion of what you post here.

If that comes across as under estimating to you, then maybe you just need to reflect more on what and how you have been posting. That's ALL it comes down to, because i don't personally know you, and have nothing against you personally.

Well duh.. If "no mind" is the 'stronger' then in that case, or instance, it can win (hint: they should hardly be considered mutually exclusive..)... But why "no-mind" has any investment in the winning and losing game I guess remains to be seen eh.

:eek:

15. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

There's a war going on cloudz,you know what it's called (fight B.S. martial arts)And people are making money on it. All the MMA guys that i know think taiji is B.S. martial arts. Now that makes me very unpopular,don't it. In fact hated! It goes against everything that sells,it goes against popular beliefs and opinions. People don't have the right to believe what they want, and train what they want anymore.You know why? It ends up on a blog or somewhere on some website that's making money off people who like to point their fingers at someone. For that reason I'll refrain from answering your question. (for now)

About your cross training into BJJ. I seen ya in that clip. You would do well.

16. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

Maurice smith definitly had some very good trainers for this fight CLOUDZ.you'll see them up to 1:17 and in the end.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOOIin7eZA"]YouTube - Maurice Smith and Mark Coleman highlights with end celebration w/ Joe Rogan and I[/ame]

17. chance

chance New Member

Hello all,

As someone who has been a demo dummy for Sam Masich previously for many years, I can tell you that he can pull that stuff against anyone who has the mind to attack him. There is no one alive that would make me bet against Sam in a fight of any kind.

That Long Energy video was shot in a Akido school but the dummy in this case is a Tai Chi player, and he is playing the dummy as a good demo dummy should. It is easy to think looking at Sam that you may have seen harder, faster, tougher, blablabla, though you would be mistaking. Not only can he trash anyone who comes, but he can do it all day. On the return of one of his tours of China with Grand Master Liang Shou-yu, Master Liang (Canada's national Wushu coach), Master Liang told me that Sam had taken as many as 200 challenges a day, and didn't loose one. granted the dummy in this video does not appear very threatening, Sam can make anyone look light weight. If you don't believe it all you have to do is go for it. You can find Sam's schedule on his web site. He will be in Vancouver teaching push hands last week of this month, and first week of the next.

That old video of Sam sparring is OK, but it is hard to put into words how much better he is now. As Master Liang simply puts it "YA, Sam very best at this" And Master Liang ought to know.

18. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

About trashing Any fighter,NO. there's always someone better. I don't think that Sam would say that himself knowing the type of competition that is out there.

You don't have to convince me of his ability. The sifu i train with is very similar and totally devastating. Thanks for jumping in to this thread. Are you one of his students? If so I would enjoy hearing your interpretation of his art.
    My Sifu met or trained with Sam at some point in time and also knows/trained with the other masters you named.
    Cheers

19. chance

chance New Member

Would I be correct in thinking that you have never read -The Yang Family secret Transmissions - ?

20. chance

chance New Member

You are right that Sam would not say that, I am saying that and as I said, I would never bet against Sam in a fight with anyone alive, any MMA fighter, and Master of any style. I and my last 100 bucks say it, Sam or Slam as I affectionately refer to him can make anyone look foolish, or he can make them look great, but mostly foolish ;).

I am a student, and will be training with Sammy this coming weekend. I have been out of the training circle for some time, and am looking forward to connecting......so to speak.