Most Senior?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by puma, Jun 5, 2009.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Who is the most senior Tai Chi instructor in England? And who is the top dog in the Essex area?

2. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

3. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Now, in Manchester, 'Top dog' can mean 'what a top dog!' as in, what an ugly girl.

There are almost no ugly girls in Essex. It's a lovely place. And those that are ugly have warm hearts and enchanting personalities.

4. East Winds

East Winds Valued Member

The question is not "Who is top dog?", but should be "Who cares?"

Very best wishes

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Do you mean the oldest or most proficient??

6. puma

puma Valued Member

Most proficient please.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

MA

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Your Ma is the most senior taiji player in the UK? Awesome!

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well, well..

As for senior, going by style might get you somewhere on that front.. fwiw.

In Yang (family) style you have Jim Uglow teaching in Walthamstow for example. it's pretty darn close to Essex..

Dan Docherty's group Wudang (branch of Wu style) has a few in Essex I think, don't really know them though..

Want the "top dog" ? (lol)
    Do some searching, go and see a few.:hat:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  10. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Taking a stab, I'd say Wang Jai Hun is seriously respected in many quarters, including in China, and amongst the Chinese ex-pat taiji community.

A bit of context might help - like, if what you're thinking is, man, I hate taiji and I want to go and knock out one person who is so well respected that it will then shut everyone up, then you're looking for someone who's a bit younger and up for the challenge. In which case, people keep telling me to go and see Li Ming Yue. I dunno - just telling you what people say to me - li ming yue's your man there, for sure...

My enduring memory of Li Ming Yue - apart from being cheated by him over a show that advertised Chen Xiao Wang - or Chen Zheng Lei - can't remember now - who never turned up, when he was the only reason I'd paid to go to the show - is of thre young mma fighters - from their t-shirts - laughing at his weak demo. They weren't being rude; it was genuine astonishment at such a terrible demo being passed off as credible self defence. The reputation of Chen taiji took a nose dive with those young fighters that day.

But, if what you mean is, you want to get the very best, possible instruction money can buy in the UK... I dunno. Wang Jai Hun, I'd say. Don't know about Essex.

If you seek, you may find a hidden gem.

11. puma

puma Valued Member

Okay, thanks for that.

12. old palden

old palden Valued Member

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Oh, you're being all mysterious about it - how disappointing.

Coming to think of it, the highest level taiji in the world - in the Cosmos even - is obviously Shaolin Wah Nam.

14. East Winds

East Winds Valued Member

Naaah!!!! The Taoist Tai Chi Society can knock spots off them anyday!!!!!

Very best wishes

15. puma

puma Valued Member

Mysterious? You lost me.

16. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Let put it this way - why do you want to know?

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Back on topic..

"I'M SPARTICUS"

Err...:eek:

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Just asking. I read some of the posts on Tai Chi, not only on this forum but others too, and a lot of the time people seem to disagree on what is good and bad. I know it is the same in other arts, but it seems more so in Tai Chi. For example, I don't see many Judoka arguing over what is good or bad, it either works or it doesn't I guess. So I was just wondering if there was someone that all the Tai chi people respected as the best? I would imagine all Karate people would agree that Kanazawa is one of the best wouldn't they? Who is the Tai Chi equivilant of Kanazawa? (I am aware he also does Tai Chi). And does he have students that are spreading what he teaches in the UK?

19. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, Judo and karate people - I've trained with both - have a much more concrete, down to earth approach to assessing 'effective' than many taiji people, so it's a lot easier for them to agree on the matter.

I think a lot of the way people use ideas in taiji has led them away from useful expression. They argue over the minutiae of internal power and I ching and structure - without, in 99.9999% of cases that actually being of any practical help to anyone.

They use words like 'frame' but in fairly practically useless ways - in most cases, unaware that ideas aren't static - wise, true 'internal' martial arts means constantly finding deeper expression and implication of ideas. Taiji needs a powerful 'frame' - meaning, a core ablity to fight. All Quan does. It's often criticised for 'always looking like kick boxing', but the reality is, that's actually the best way - to first of all concentrate on the easiest route: the development of a core, effective, simple style of punch, kick, defend, and from that, develop wider skills. Real taiji ability flows from being able to be practiced in realistic ways - which means, in reality, being attacked, and at various points being able to use the techniques.

Here's a perfect example of exactly this skill, and true taiji, all the way through, in fact, but especially at 1.37 (double click to view):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdC5ePY9Aes&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - buakaw saenchai king of muaythai[/ame]

An actual taiji master may ultimately be looking to use less punch and kick, more avoids and throws, but this is the timing and execution of the true principles of taiji - but without the real frame, it doesn't exist - taiji can't steal credibility from muay thai from this - it's just for the wise, to see that taiji principles really are true, but only if you have a realistic frame.

I was lucky enough to train with an exceptional muay thai player who was extremely open to ideas from other martial arts - for example, he was especially interested in the pushing aspect of yiquan, and pretty much just adapted it straight away in to his weaponry. It's a lot easier to do it that way around than the other.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  20. puma

puma Valued Member

Loved the takedown arond the 2:51 mark after the flash kick.

I've never heard or seen anyone that does Tai Chi explain it in this matter. Normally you get the stuff about being internal and that, but when you really question them on it they have no idea what they are talking about. A lot of the time it seems like people that are lazy and don't want to work hard, so they blind people, especially their paying students, with nonsense, making out they are a Martial Artist when really they can't do anything. Making it all sound mysterious I guess. Your post actually meant something - actually linking it with practicality for once. Some of the techniques in the video were great.