Most hilarious sparring you'll ever see!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EdiSco, Jun 17, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

The only reason I'm posting this is because I know somebody who's looking for a club to train at (either Muay Thai or Kung Fu/Karate etc.). One of the club/branch he's been to is associated with this "Grand master" in the video - head instructor trained directly under him! He's considering Edinburgh branch of this school or another thai place (which is actually quite good and has produced lots of pro fighters! they also have MMA) .

I'm BEGGING him not to choose this place - it beggars belief! I thought it was a joke but this guy's really popular on even Amazon! IT really does begger belief!!!! I think the real reason my friend don't wana train at the thai place is because the look of MMA/Thai boxing scares the brown stuff out of him. Sad really!

Here's the link:

2. EdiSco

PS "Sparring starts at 2mins"

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well there are loads of good places to train Thai boxing and as far as I'm aware they all have a good atmosphere. Hanuman has a beginners class I think.

We all started from the bottom. Most places are welcoming, just let him know it's not what he thinks it's like. The hardest part is the first class.

Travess likes this.
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's not so much hilarious as it is sad.

I feel sorry for students who get ripped off with this stuff.

kandi likes this.
  5. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Agree, it is really quite sad. They are missing out on the joy of real martial arts. Also, why are they sparring in such a looooong stance?

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Probably to open up the hips, thereby releasing decades of pent-up chi from their loins.

Joking, but their legitimate explanation is probably just as comical.

7. EdiSco

Now this IS HILARIOUS! They think they can use this against kick boxers. WOW JUST WOW:

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Was that Chinese dude actually wearing camo silk pyjamas?! (2:02 in the video)

Posting this to cleanse our eyes.

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I dont even think thats free sparring, it looks more like bad step sparing. Surely everyones free sparing should be similar unless its a grapple comparsion to strike? XP

The woes of Kung Fu. Muay Thai does look good though, at least you learn punches, elbows, knees and feet and could do a lot of sport from it.

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Ah, Wong Kiew Kit, of Shaolin Wahnam :)

The "sparring" is actually a series of two-person forms, rather than sparring - Wong and his group often mix up their terms on this.

Wong has written a few books in the past - there is a lot of rubbish about chi and spirituality, but actually his books contain some pretty interesting stuff, particularly his tai chi book (as long as you can sift through the crap).

But, despite what good there may or may not be, his videos are always disappointing.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hey folks,I'd be careful of criticizing a guy who can change the weather with his ch'i-and he has witnesses!

So if a twister hits your house........

Dan Bian likes this.
  13. Dan Bian

Like I said, if you can sift through the crap... :)

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Oh, man, I got to 0:39 and almost jumped out of my chair! Bravo!!! Er, ahem, I mean, ouch, that had to hurt! :D :D :D :D

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I didn't think it looked like sparring. Thanks for confirming what I thought. It looked more like pre-set drills to me, although two person forms also fits more than sparring.

As for Wong Kiew Kit's books. I really tried to read them when I first started, and a couple of years later. Never could get through them. I thought it was just me. But since then have heard others say the same. (No disrespect to him intended, but that is just my experience.)

16. Dan Bian

They are an aquired taste, and like I've said, you really need to be able to sift through the crap in them.

I like some of the basic drills that he suggests in his tai chi book. Again, strip away the nonsense and apply to my own training.

Just a shame that he's promoting all this rubbish about "chi healing" etc, because if he cut that out, I think he might actually have some interesting points.

I tried to talk to some of the folks on his forum a few years back, but it's like a cult-mentality; which obviously feeds into Wong's delusions and inflated sense of himself.

17. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Yeah, this is sad. It just reminds me of how it can be difficult to find a good kung fu school.

That's not free sparring or two-man Shaolin forms. They're doing some kind of drills.

Assuming they're aren't all total beginners on their very first day, it would appear they receive zero instruction or corrections on the fundamentals. I can't even tell what kind of kicks those are supposed to be. Front, heel, sidekick? They just lift a leg while leaning off balance.

Tell your friend to keep searching for a better place to train.

18. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

I once read/heard that this group believes that kung fu fighting should look like traditional kung fu forms practice, hence the awkward attempts to look stylised and form-like. It's almost an over-reaction to the common criticism that many kung fu schools that do practice forms of free sparring seem to exhibit a disconnect whereby the sparring doesn't resemble the traditional stuff at all.

19. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Not sure exactly what they mean by "kung fu fighting should look like traditional kung fu forms practice." If you're studying kung fu, free sparring should be practiced using those techniques that you've been learning. It's not supposed to be a street brawl, generic kickboxing, or look like you're doing a form (while actual fighting isn't like sparring or practicing forms.)

I imagine this is pretty basic stuff for experienced forum members here, though.

20. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

eh no , i don't don't believe Edinburgh needs this :)